Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Soldato
OP
Edit. Just noticed they have a Quattro 10000 dated 6 October 2022 - Awaiting assessment, perhaps a software update or something.

Actually the one waiting assessment states the following

Manufacturer's Compliance NotesFirmware update since previous version to meet LFSM-O requirements. The submission is in line with EREC G99 Issue 1 Amendment 8 and is fully compliant with the changes that apply from 01 September 2022 for electricity storage.

So I'm guessing its just a formality, and will be approved sometime soon again.

Soldato
OP
Hi John,

Just phoned Edmondson's, they can only do the 410w which you had, or the 450w, they order them by the container load so can't order just 12 panels. Price for the 410w is £143+vat and £15 delivery from Ashford, Kent.

I'm also waiting for the electrician to price up the panels, but I've been waiting for a long time now.

Ron

Soldato
OP
Had a couple of deliveries today, which actually ended up being just one, the other was delivered to a totally different company, luckily I could read the address on another parcel in the picture - Evri parcel lost!

As for the item I did receive, 40 x 8 tinned copper bar, 1 meter long.

Tinned-Copper-Bar.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had to change the EGR valve on my car today, awful job to do with really fiddly bits, took about three hours, but once it was done I made good progress on the battery rack.

I've got three trays made, the base plate of the fourth is about a MM wider than it should be, so to play safe I'll take my belt sander to work on Monday, and make it the correct size.

As I've mentioned previously the sides of the rack had bowed when I welded the drawer rail mounts on, I'd left it clamped up over the last week with blocks at the top and bottom to space that futher apart, and big G-lamps in the centre pulling it together until it touched, so past the point of being straight. I removed the clamps today, but it was still bowed, not as bad as it was though.

So I resorted to heating various spots red hot, and then just letting it cool naturally, three spots took at bit more bow out of it, so another four spots were heated, and the result was.....

Straightened-Frame.jpg

If think its fair to say that's perfectly straight, here's the method I used, where would we be without YouTube ;)

I made and welded on the bottom feet, these have two bolt holes each side, where the rack will be bolted to concrete floor of the garage.

Tapped all the M5 threads in the drawer slide mounts, and fitted the three drawer trays.

Rack.jpg

Which all slide out very nicely, and reach 100% extension, each pair of drawer slides can take 100kg, good job as the 16 cells will weigh 85kg, plus the rest of the bits.

Rack-Tray-out.jpg

I still need to fit the cross and diagonal braces, which will stiffen the frame up, then its just a case of cleaning it up and painting.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The sides are 25 x 25 x 6.4 ally angle, bottoms are 5mm thick ally, nice and sturdy.

The slide rails have a quick release, so you can slide the third section out completely, but I won't be doing that when they are loaded, but it does make assembly easier.

Soldato
OP
In total, roughly about 100kg, but it's not like the trays will be constantly pulled out, more often whilst the battery is being built, but after that only for maintenance checks etc.

I'll weigh a tray once I get them home, and the other parts.

I could have gone with drawer slides that could take even more weight, but they got rather expensive.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm getting very close to ordering my Victron equipment and solar panels, I have the following prices, anybody aware of better prices please?

• Quattro 48/10000 £3119
  • SmartSolar MPPT 150/45 TR £345
  • Lynx Shunt VE.can £325
  • Lynx Power In £135
  • Cerbo GX £264
  • JA Solar JAM54S30-395/MR Black Frame Half Cell Solar PV Panel £147+VAT each (£150+VAT delivery charge)

I've decided to use the Lynx Shunt just for neatness, and the Cerbo GX over a PI as its also neater, and just more straight forward.

I sourced some new breakers for the battery rack, I've gone with ZJ Benny, they are "no polarity", hopefully they are a good make, SolarEdge actually suggest using their SPD's in one of their documents, so hopefully that means they are good.

I've received two BEP T class fuse holders, also a Victron isolator for the inverter, but still plenty of other bits to be purchased though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hes also a pastor/vicar
At least his shelves won't fall off the wall as an act of God then ;)

His shelves are screwed directly into the studs in the framework

That's good, too many people wouldn't of, but still a lot of weight for wooden shelves. You may have noticed I over engineer things as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sounds like a good idea. I am itching like mad to get mine done, but you know what it is like when you have plans and other things get in the way! I've written to Santa and asked to have it completed before spring rolls around again. :D
Mines dragged on so long now it's starting to annoy me a little, but I shall be ordering lots of goodies over the weekend - electrician got back to me and said he can't get any better pricing, it's basically get it for what you can find

Soldato
OP
The Multiplus II 48/5000 is £1059.90 plus VAT (£1271.88) - HERE! Or you can get the Quattro 48/10000 for £2,599 + VAT (£3,118.80) - HERE!
Have you used Zero Home Bills? They don't allow credit card payments over £1500, they only accept bank transfer, so no credit card protection :(

Even if I remove the inverter leaving just the Cerbo, it still doesn't show a payment method, just states "Sorry, it seems that there are no available payment methods for your state.Please contact us"

Perhaps this is rather telling https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/0bills.com

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Journey Thanks, yep, the alarm bells started ringing when they wouldn't take a credit card.

I've got everything ordered except the inverter, got a couple of options so far, but they are around the £3.6k mark :(

At least with the build taking so long its given me chance to save up the hard earned pennies.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No, other option was another eBay seller, batterymegauk at £3610 which includes a £75 off voucher.

Had seen the Voltacon option as well, but tried to buy something through them a while back and gave up in the end - very slow to reply to emails.

Back
Top Bottom