• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3*** Super and 4*** cards in 2022

Soldato
My understanding is AMD's next gen stuff might be MCM. But this far as I say no MCM GPU's have ever come out, monolithic only.

So it will be interesting Nvidia going Monolithic again AMD's MCM. I hope AMD wipe the floor with them and get some sorely needed market share.
Noted, AMD have been talking about it for a while so thought they might have released a product to test it out.

Brief search suggests next set of GPUs as you said.

Soldato
Are the 4-series meant to be MCM? Or is that going to be the 5-series cards?

If there’s only an incremental increase for the 4-series I’ll be skipping it and sticking with my 3090FE for another couple of years. Can’t see there being a massive generational leap until multi-core GPU’s are a thing.

I think 4000 will be monolithic. MCM is new and latency between dies is extremely important- with bad latency the extra performance gain from a double core count 2nd die could result in as little as 20% extra performance.

So while MCM is working now on server accelerators, for latency sensitive applications like games we suspect some extra time will be needed to optimise the technology.

Now this doesn't mean that AMD won't go for MCM for 4000 series, they may very well do that. However due to the latency issues mentioned above I would not expect to see amazing performance but I would expect MCM would result in large increases in prices for GPUs

Soldato
I think 4000 will be monolithic. MCM is new and latency between dies is extremely important- with bad latency the extra performance gain from a double core count 2nd die could result in as little as 20% extra performance.

So while MCM is working now on server accelerators, for latency sensitive applications like games we suspect some extra time will be needed to optimise the technology.

Now this doesn't mean that AMD won't go for MCM for 4000 series, they may very well do that. However due to the latency issues mentioned above I would not expect to see amazing performance but I would expect MCM would result in large increases in prices for GPUs
You make some very good points about the challenges they face.

On the pricing point however, isn't the whole point of a chiplet design to increase yield to reduce productions costs / increase profitability? Surely that would help bring prices down?

Soldato
You make some very good points about the challenges they face.

On the pricing point however, isn't the whole point of a chiplet design to increase yield to reduce productions costs / increase profitability? Surely that would help bring prices down?

Yes, that's the idea. Two RTX 3060 chiplets connected using an infinity fabric would destroy a 3090 (assuming the width of the memory bus is upgraded also). Two 3060s are cheaper to produce than one 3090.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
That’s what I thought too. After all, that’s what AMD have been doing with their CPU’s for several years now. However, I’d be hoping for a minimum of 4 cores rather than just 2.

Guess we’ll see by this time next year.

Soldato
Yes, that's the idea. Two RTX 3060 chiplets connected using an infinity fabric would destroy a 3090 (assuming the width of the memory bus is upgraded also). Two 3060s are cheaper to produce than one 3090.

And the latency was low enough - to get 100% scaling would require two chips to have the same latency as a single chip

Associate
Upcoming replacement for 6900xt = performance will likely have a 128b bus.
so, massive reduction of wattage for the same performance.
Cant even start thinking faster than that with the rest of the line up
and will at least be slightly cheaper than current 6900xt

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
AMD has proved lately that they certainly are NOT a charity (nor your best tech friend), they'll get as much out of people as they can just like all companies.
Yep. But thing is, unless you are a youngling (or blind) they did that with their FX line CPU’s on the back off the very successful Athlon stuff. It was not until Core2Duo that they were forced to lower prices.

That’s why I say no point in loyalty. I buy what I fancy or whatever is best price for performance. I care little about who the company is for the most part.

Soldato
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...-be-announced-mid-december-launch-mid-january

excited-ronpaul.gif

Soldato
AMD has proved lately that they certainly are NOT a charity (nor your best tech friend), they'll get as much out of people as they can just like all companies.

Companies can either sell products in very high quantities (AMD can't with graphics cards), or they sell a lot less at a high mark-up, nothing new to see here.

What AMD has achieved with the 6800 XT and 6900 XT is impressive when compared to the 5700 XT. The 6900 XT has about double the performance of the 5700 XT, with a TDP thats just 75w higher. It's just a shame that more couldn't be produced.

The card has theoretical performance that is greater than a 100% improvement, because the core config (Core count, TMUs and ROPs) is double that of the 5700 XT, with improved clock speeds also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom