• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

While I don't have specific number, I couldn't get to sleep last night so ran a few benchmarks and watched the numbers Afterburner listed, the card boosted just shy of 2000, low of just under 1900 and on average sat at 1950, rarely going above 70 degreees. This is the Eagle 1755 OC card. These however were taken at 1080p as I couldn't be arsed to fire up the 4K so I did see less than 100% card use in some situations.

Bit surprised that removing 2 of the SP caps had such a dramatic impact on stability but as expected no magic solution from simply "upgrading" the capacitors - the problem largely seems to be marginal core stability in some cases.

Well, as you know (seen it from your posts) it's a sidegrade really. He kept the same total capacitance, just changed the frequency behaviour a little and both are probably within tolerance for most cards. I wasn't expecting anything else.

Man I said this on another forum when people were mentioning capacitors; it seemed very low probability that independent teams of some of the best electrical engineers the world has to offer all made the same error on a product they’ve likely tested till dawn. Gotta love how suddenly everyone became a god damn phd and Elec eng overnight after reading a blogpost about capacitors.

And yet every single board maker has changed their capacitors from initial design and the pics they put on their website to final production. I assume they wasted their money cause they were clearly wrong?

Well, as you know (seen it from your posts) it's a sidegrade really. He kept the same total capacitance, just changed the frequency behaviour a little and both are probably within tolerance for most cards. I wasn't expecting anything else.

I'm surprised that removing two caps had such an impact - usually you can rip half these caps off with no real impact at all until you are well into extreme overclock territory. So there probably is a factor here possibly due to the somewhat different PCB layout of these cards versus older generations - but largely it does seem to be boost behaviour isn't quite dialled in for individual chip quality.

And yet every single board maker has changed their capacitors from initial design and the pics they put on their website to final production. I assume they wasted their money cause they were clearly wrong?

More likely that there was room for improvement that was discovered at some point. It's also not just about the layout of the capacitors, but the total capacitance of these (like gigabyte uses 470uF but other brands may have used 220uF for example) and that's probably a bigger factor than the frequency response alone. I doubt we'll ever fully learn what happened exactly with each brand though.

Also, wasted their money? Nah, unless they had to throw out PCB's that were already manufactured (unlikely) it's not that big a deal, the pick and place machines handle most of it, it just needs the updated schematics, gerber files, etc. Probably most of the effort is in revalidating any changes that would've been made.

More likely that there was room for improvement that was discovered at some point. It's also not just about the layout of the capacitors, but the total capacitance of these (like gigabyte uses 470uF but other brands may have used 220uF for example) and that's probably a bigger factor than the frequency response alone. I doubt we'll ever fully learn what happened exactly with each brand though.

Also, wasted their money? Nah, unless they had to throw out PCB's that were already manufactured (unlikely) it's not that big a deal, the pick and place machines handle most of it, it just needs the updated schematics, gerber files, etc. Probably most of the effort is in revalidating any changes that would've been made.

I just meant that all the boards that changed got changed to more of the expensive CAPS so the build cost for every board built will increase. Multiply that over a million boards and it becomes a lot.

It does seem strange that almost every manufacturer increase the amount of the "better" CAPS from their pre production boards though. I mean they arent going to respond to youtubers videos to change them if there really wasnt an issue.

I just meant that all the boards that changed got changed to more of the expensive CAPS so the build cost for every board built will increase. Multiply that over a million boards and it becomes a lot.

It does seem strange that almost every manufacturer increase the amount of the "better" CAPS from their pre production boards though. I mean they arent going to respond to youtubers videos to change them if there really wasnt an issue.

They could be doing it simply for marketing. No matter how many videos people release stating capacitors aren't the be-all and end-all, some people are going to still want the cards with the "better" set of them.

They could be doing it simply for marketing. No matter how many videos people release stating capacitors aren't the be-all and end-all, some people are going to still want the cards with the "better" set of them.
Absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if we see attention drawn to the caps in marketing copy going forward. This has been a lot of damage to AIBs like Zotac over absolutely nothing.

Absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if we see attention drawn to the caps in marketing copy going forward. This has been a lot of damage to AIBs like Zotac over absolutely nothing.

Zotac's entire board is a a total disaster anyway, They more than any other AIB has gone with the least they can get away with and the card still works.

"Today he reports that the new driver fixes the problem, but at the cost of slightly lower clocks"
lovely so all 3080's to be bought down in boost performance?

I think the article is click bait.

He reported a 1-2 fps reduction from a frame rate of 129 fps. I don't think he can categorically state anything from a single benchmark repeated a very small number of times . Once many people report the impact of the driver fix it should be clearer if there is an impact or not.

Not convinced by that. The EVGA board shown in one of the earlier videos already had the 5+10 configuration. They stated that actually only some review boards went out with the 6 package version. Which would suggest to me they had made the decision to change the layout before any article or youtube video.

We know EVGA were on the ball but other manufacturing partners have only made the decision to change their capacitors since it was reported on.

Back
Top Bottom