• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Sorry there is no defending this at all, this is a design issue, it should never have been allowed to happen.
Its a rushed botched launch from Nvidia and their partners.

You simply cannot defend this, if cards are failing at their advertised spec because the hardware setup is incorrect on the PCB, you cannot defend it by saying its fine, run it underclocked.

Take your nvidia shaded glasses off and head out of the sand

but they are hitting the advertised spec. Nobody is selling a card which they say boosts to 2000mhz so if they ship the cards out underclocked to avoid the crashing issue then that’s fine.

I got my Gigabyte 3080 gaming yesterday and havnt had any crashes yet while playing with it. Just heard about this issue and seems this card has the worst setup of capacitors so hoping it doesnt cause issues. Will keep testing over the next few days to see if anything happens but so far so good.

Its pretty quiet considering the last windforce cooler i had was super loud, tops out around 67 degrees at 75% fan in my setup. Will push the OC a bit and see if it induces any crashes like mentioned.

I have the same card and so far haven't had any issues but am going to play around with OC later today. Just need an official response from Gigabyte now.

but they are hitting the advertised spec. Nobody is selling a card which they say boosts to 2000mhz so if they ship the cards out underclocked to avoid the crashing issue then that’s fine.

I think it's more that we've all been sold a card that should perform to the standard that we've seen in both the Nvidia launch slides and in tech reviewers benchmarks that were also boosting to 2000MHz+. That's the risk you take when buying early especially when the product has been rushed out to launch.

I have the same card and so far haven't had any issues but am going to play around with OC later today. Just need an official response from Gigabyte now.

I'd be really interested in knowing how it overclocks. Only person I've seen try it is Debauer but that was the 3090. Will you post the result on here?

Kind of glad I didn’t buy/preorder one now. Last gen was dodgy memory this gen cheap caps from rushed board partners.

Best to wait and let the AIB partners refine their cards and cooler designs. No way a user should have to reduce boost clocks because of poor AIB part choice.

tenor.gif

If I was waiting for my card right now I would cancel and get my money back. Teach these greedy companies a lesson.

Anyone defending this debacle needs their head examined.

You can't complain that your non OC, RRP card doesn't have the most expensive components and can't handle 2GHz+. I personally think there are a few issues here compounding/confusing the issue (which is why we're seeing problems across most cards, regardless of cap type).

If I was waiting for my card right now I would cancel and get my money back. Teach these greedy companies a lesson.

Anyone defending this debacle needs their head examined.

Really need to wait to see what the official cause of the issue, I'm not planning to cancel because I've got a Strix Pre-ordered which isn't arriving for a while. The capacitors on the back of it according to Buildzoid said they're pretty expensive and its cool what they went for (They even put them on the TUF which is meant to be a budget gpu).

If it comes out the instability is caused by something else then I'll probably cancel but some manufacturers have even said in their internal testing certain setups were unstable in real world workloads.

Gigabyte cards are using 6 POSCAPs (if they're POSCAPs since there's conflicting info out there saying that they're not the same) and I haven't seen that many people reporting crashing. Only saw one guy claiming that it crashes when playing MW2019 but that game is known for crashing. I currently have a 390x and the game keeps crashing for me as well. Meanwhile Zotac is also using 6 POSCAPs and there are a lot more people reporting on how it's constantly crashing. This whole thing is just weird.

Here's some testing of the GigaByte Gaming OC I found
https://youtu.be/UrNIO0J7MKw

From this video it looks like the Gigabyte Gaming OC doesn't boost above 1920MHz anyway so maybe Gigabyte just validated their clocks properly. He manages to get to 2GHz with timespy and can't get any overclock at all with Tarkov but not sure if Tarkov is using raytracing. At the end of the day as long as it's as fast as the FE card I don't really care if it has Polymer Caps or not.

Back
Top Bottom