• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Maybe. :)

EVGA and ASUS look to be in the clear, but the other AIB's will be like 'bugger' how are we going to wiggle out of this one (probably with a VBIOS update that pins the top end boost under 2Ghz).

@malccy, nice summary.

i think evga worded it wrong and threw every other company under the bus that’s the bit nvidia won’t like.
I don’t think it will be an bios update they chose I think nvidia if the power issues and boost clock is the issue will change it at a driver level and all cards won’t boost as high:) all for one and one for all will be nvidia moto they need there partners they won’t call them out

I got my Gigabyte 3080 gaming yesterday and havnt had any crashes yet while playing with it. Just heard about this issue and seems this card has the worst setup of capacitors so hoping it doesnt cause issues. Will keep testing over the next few days to see if anything happens but so far so good.

Its pretty quiet considering the last windforce cooler i had was super loud, tops out around 67 degrees at 75% fan in my setup. Will push the OC a bit and see if it induces any crashes like mentioned.

If it makes you feel better I have seen no indication that the Gigabyte Gaming is stable as long as you don't overclock it beyond the factory overclock. If you are an overclocked you would definitely want to exchange it for something else.

EVGA statement on the matter:

'Recently there has been some discussion about the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 series.

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch. There were no 6 POSCAP production EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 boards shipped.

But, due to the time crunch, some of the reviewers were sent a pre-production version with 6 POSCAP’s, we are working with those reviewers directly to replace their boards with production versions.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues.

Also note that we have updated the product pictures at EVGA.com to reflect the production components that shipped to gamers and enthusiasts since day 1 of product launch.
Once you receive the card you can compare for yourself, EVGA stands behind its products!

Thanks
EVGA'
Confirmed then? But due to the rush and Secrecy /NDAs some AIBs didn't get the memo.

show me a product launch that doesn’t? Come on seriously for every one saying for Msi there zotac even the fe cards are doing the same. There are so many parts to the launch hardware and software alike. Can u name 1 product launch that doesn’t have horror stories?

I’m not defending anyone all I. Saying is there could be 100’s if not 1000’s of reasons for this come. There are plenty of people not having issues with the msi card on this forum

Are you joking? Or trolling or both?

Nvidias launches are generally brilliant, everyone knows this. AMD launches are bad, this launch is worse than anything AMD has done recently..

There is still time for AMD to drop the ball but i just cannot see their launch being worse than this

Are you joking? Or trolling or both?

Nvidias launches are generally brilliant, everyone knows this. AMD launches are bad, this launch is worse than anything AMD has done recently..

There is still time for AMD to drop the ball but i just cannot see their launch being worse than this

nvidia allways have there fair share also lol no launch is generally brilliant. I’m not trolling or joking I just have much lower expectations then you do in any launch from my iPhone to my cpu to gpu heck even my car I expect issues lol

I expect all AIBs will now need to address this issue and say what their cards have pre and post production. Otherwise everyone will just start cancelling orders.

Can't take the risk after such a big spend, shame as was on the list and hoping but have a Gigabyte on order and so will cancel and see how this pans out before I re-order.
You can return the card in 14 days for a replacement/refund if your not happy so I fail to see the risk in all this.

Even if you do get a faulty card the good news is this is something that will be fixed quickly and any faulty cards replaced.

How are the cards faulty? They still run stable at the required base speed.

Worst case an updated driver is issued to change the OC function to run a bit slower - could be just 15Mhz clock slower.

Please read my post again.

Faulty cards do happen.

Palit OC edition here, boosts upto 2100 until it lowers with temps etc, no problems at all here so far, have a Eisblock Aurora waiting to be fitted but waiting on new CPU before I fit as removed 1080ti from the loop and dont want to run it with old coolant for a few weeks before needing to flush refill etc.

For reference its 5 Caps and One group of MLCC.

Early adopters getting it in the XXXX again, glad I am not one of them

It seems that all too often manufacturers are using their customers to do the quality control. I sat back and watched the impatient work themselves into a frenzy over getting hold of a 3080, and the greedy buying up as much available stock to sell on at a profit. Now I'm watching how impatience can sometimes backfire. Patience is a virtue worth having. No doubt there'll now be lots of cancelled orders and the refunds will be spent on toilet roll/pasta. ;)

My bet is there are a number of moving parts in all of this. If it was just capacitor choice all cards of that configuration would be affected. However, if it's a combination of that, GPU quality, cooling, boost behaviour etc. Only those cards unlucky enough to have a particular configuration will exhibit instability. Much harder to find the pattern though if it's more than one factor.

The biggest question for me is the obvious lack of QC before the cards went out. At this price point I'd expect more. It's not like they were shipping millions of cards to satisfy global demand and a few crept in, there's only a handful of people that even have a card.

Agree with this. If this is only happening at the higher boost frequencies, and Nvidia boost dynamically based on available power and cooling, then the higher end cards with better cooling, binned GPUs, more power are more likely to run into this issue. That's probably why both EVGA and MSI have opted for 4+2 on their high end cards, and 5+1 on the base cards. Also interesting to note that a lot of the Mhz spec on the day of launch had not been given out, they were TBC in many cases or just left off making distinguishing between the models hard, and that sort of makes sense now on reflection. Others have also mentioned that it could be also made worse by possibly a large swing in samsungs chip quality, a good GPU will be able to be pushed faster and hence more likely to run into this problem.

Back
Top Bottom