• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 temperature concerns

HRL

HRL

Soldato
That vram temp is good, what sort of fan curve are you running? Have you done the thermal pads? Mine peaks at 96C from what I've seen, and that's running ray traced games at high settings.

Stock, just an OC on the GPU and VRAM with fan on auto.

The VRAM can hit the 90’s with the odd game, CP2077 maxed out being one, but generally considerably lower.

Associate
Yes gaming is also an issue, the RTX 3090FE cards do run at incredibly high temps and Nv dont give a ****
Well, Igor's video on the defective pads:
at 03:29 (don't think the forum lets you link to times) says that about an earlier issue - the uneven main die - Nvidia are totally silent ("Zitronen Lippen", i.e. lemon lips).

I presume they are also not happy with his joke (01:05 onwards) about the melted goo being RTX On either:
MpxZv53.jpg

Ampere sure still feels rushed not that designing 350W+ cards is easy.

Jobs a fish :D
I hate working with metal, but if I did I would consider that finish to be only half-finished!
Or course, the only way to do with a clean job is with some grinding with Dremel or similar and you have to take everything out of the case and when finished very carefully blow any metal bits out or your asking for shorts.

Soldato
I hate working with metal, but if I did I would consider that finish to be only half-finished!
Or course, the only way to do with a clean job is with some grinding with Dremel or similar and you have to take everything out of the case and when finished very carefully blow any metal bits out or your asking for shorts.

Exactly that! :D I've got a Dremel and everything needed to do a super neat job..... But that thought lasted all of 10 seconds and I decided to snip the braces off for minimal risk, and full gains.
Taking everything out for something I don't even see or look at just seemed pointless and risky.

It won't bug me and I will sleep tonight.. honest :D

Associate
I managed to bag a 3090fe, delivered yesterday.
And I'd not actually thought through how the cards thermals worked until I installed the card and realised the my PC case's metal structure blocked about 50% of the 3090's rear exhaust.

I've ended up snipping two metal braces off my case to allow the 3090 to breathe correctly.

I wonder how many others this affects?

yBGCxR8.jpeg
rc9oNqc.jpeg

Jobs a fish :D

Did you do any before and after results?

Associate
Sorry, I didnt get that far, it was just obvious at installation what needed to be done. From what I understand though, the rear exhaust comes from the underside fan. So having it blocked like that would have easily increased temps I'm sure.

Cheers. I have considered doing this for a while but haven't bothered as I would need to strip the PC down to use a dermel. Maybe one day...

Soldato
Air will pass through, as its not completely blocked. But having those two metal strips in the way, looks to be blocking nearly 50% of the vent area. So the flow of air leaving heatsink will be reduced, hence a warmer gpu.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Cheers. I have considered doing this for a while but haven't bothered as I would need to strip the PC down to use a dermel. Maybe one day...

Take the card out and use a pair of pliers. It’ll take longer to take the card out than it will to remove those two strips of metal.

Associate
The memory temp on my 3090 is Nvidias problem as far as I'm concerned, it has a 3 year warranty so if it breaks in that time they can deal with it. It's not throttling so it's not a problem my end at the minute. Yes I'd like it a bit quieter but it is what it is.

Soldato
The memory temp on my 3090 is Nvidias problem as far as I'm concerned, it has a 3 year warranty so if it breaks in that time they can deal with it. It's not throttling so it's not a problem my end at the minute. Yes I'd like it a bit quieter but it is what it is.

That's how I feel at the moment, If the temps ran above 100C I might be tempted to repad.
But I don't mine :p

Associate
If you do, you should try and measure some repeatable before and after temperatures.

Those pads in that Igor video only become trouble at excessive temperatures. While not all pads can turn to goo, limiting their temperature is always a good idea.

Associate
That's how I feel at the moment, If the temps ran above 100C I might be tempted to repad.
But I don't mine :p
Mine hits 102-104°C every so often but I have some case reorganization to do that might help with that. If not I might repad but again I paid £1400 for it and it has a 3 year warranty so if it breaks they can replace it.

Soldato
Mine hits 102-104°C every so often but I have some case reorganization to do that might help with that. If not I might repad but again I paid £1400 for it and it has a 3 year warranty so if it breaks they can replace it.

My case and internal setup really suits the GPU blowing upwards, as the top of the case is just open vented, with an AIO blowing out and upwards. I've also got a rear fan blowing out, and a front fan blowing in.
I have added a side fan sucking 'cold' air from the room onto the 3090 through the clear side cover to help move air across the back/top of the GPU.
So 2 drawing in and 2 blowing out.
eMxkcdR.jpeg

Associate
does it make that much of a difference? wouldnt the air just be pushed out anyway?

Won't be more than 2C at absolute best, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was just 1C.

The rear fan is the intake fan. That brings air directly in. Blocking that fan can raise temps 5C or more. If you have a PCIE sound card next to the GPU with like only 4.8mm of clearance, that will do it (I bought a x4 riser for my Soundblaster PCIE Titanium Fatal1ty sound card and that worked wonders). The fan on the front is the exhaust fan, that pushes air out both through the I/O vents and over the system DRAM memory. So in the end, you'll gain more by improving the intake, than by doing a destructible mod like this. Plus this could hurt resell value of the case and look awful if you ever went back to a 2 slot card, or moved the card to a vertical mount.

If someone had the skills and machinery (and I'm sure there's plenty of people here with lots of income for that), a mod with removeable metal shafts that can be reinserted would be pretty nice but I have no idea how such a mod could be done unless someone had access to a professional machine shop and some nice friends ...

That being said that's why I love Fractal Define 7 XL and Meshify 2 cases. The PCIE slot brackets are large enough next to each other so when you remove them there's no metal bar at all, so mine is fully clear without a mod. Corsair cases (at least their older Graphite series, I don't know about their new 1000D/4000D/5000D+ airflow series) have those ugly bars. So I guess Fractal made the PCIE slot covers wide enough :)

Last edited:
Associate
What the hell is what that mesh stuff, looks horrid!

Those are the stock pads. 1.5mm on front VRAM, 1.8-2.0mm on front VRM's, 1.0mm on backside VRAM, hotspot backside strips are between 1.0 to 1.5mm.
I have no idea who the maker is or what the product SKU is (i'd love to know just so I can buy them to mess withi them). But GamersNexus mentioned in his 2080 Ti teardown video, that had one set of the pads looking identical to these completely (the other set looked different), that Nvidia uses Fujipoly (1.2 w/mk??) and Lairdtech or something on that card? But on the 3090 and 3080 it's only one type of pad with different thicknesses. I want to know what that pad is and where you can buy it so I can see just how bad it is (might throw them on a laptop VRM).

Back
Top Bottom