• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Moores Law is Dead is reporting the 13th April release of the RTX 4070 with a price of £750.

Would you buy a RTX 4070 at £750?

Personally no, might as well buy a 4070 Ti for £50 more, if can find it at that price, or just buy a 7900XT.

The 4070 is expected to have performance that sits between, RTX 3080 Ti and an RTX 3080, and Nvidia seems to have decided to set the price as well between the, RTX 3080 Ti and an RTX 3080.

It's just going to be like the RTX 4070 TI with less shaders, probably with GDDR6X. No reason to think it will be slower than a RTX 3080.

We don't know the GPU clock speed yet, I think they will push it fairly high.
VideoCardz.com are reporting, Base clock as, 1920MHz, and, Boost Clock as, 2475MHz.

Maybe, just maybe, AMD will have learnt a lesson with the 7900XT, and price the 7800XT, 7700XT and 7600XT, at more reasonable and realistic prices.

Last edited:
Once again I'm hearing prayers of AMD pricing their cards lower... to get the desired Nvidia cards lower...

It's definitely got the weight of a prayer. AMD has to drop prices without any benefit to them, for people that won't buy :p

They can just stay just below Nvidia pricing and the money coming in or not will tell the truth.
I no longer believe that AMD or Intel will force Nvidia's prices lower and that Nvidia is resting on its current dominance of the market to keep prices high.

Though I normally but Nvidia, and I wanted the 4070 to be worth buying, I am almost certainly going AMD this time, yes there prices are high as well, but they have not completely lost the plot, and Ray Tracing is not my primary concern.

Last edited:
This "leak" feels like a planned price anchoring strategy to me. So when they release it for $649-$699 people will be more accepting of it.

Regardless, the prices are dumb. Guess they've decided to burn it all down this generation & prep to value-price the next gen.
That is a good possibility, as there looks like there will be 10GB, 12GB and 16GB models so they may launch the 12GB at £600 to £650 first so it looks better than it is, and see the 10GB model at £500-550 and the 16GB model at, £700-750.

Then comes the AIB prices that will higher still in most cases.

Last edited:
Wouldn't say we were "digging it up" tbh given the trend of discussion before hand was about vram.

Whilst it is banter, at the same time, it is a perfectly valid point though in all seriousness, people keep banging on about how nvidia are doing them over so badly yet those same people keep buying nvidia.... :confused: Why not vote with your wallet and buy from amd, they are providing everything people want/care about i.e. cheaper and more vram. Is it really nvidias problem if they provide a more premium/better product "overall" and people keep supporting their methods by buying said products? Seems to me more like a user base/customer problem.....
Nvidia do make good products, the 4090 is excellent, the 4080 is also, but the 4070 Ti is debatable, but the specs for the 4070, does not make it premium or better, in comparison the 3070 Ti or more comparable the 3080 are better overall products.

When it comes to price though, other than the 4090, Nvidia have gotten excessive, and yes people can vote with there wallets and this is happening given that, other than the 4090, the other 4000 series cards stayed on the shelves and never sold out, even on release day.

Consumers accept that products will go up in price but they will not accept unreasonable increases and here is the problem, Nvidia has looked at what each 4000 cards performance is comparable to, in the 3000 series, and then using that as the pricing, i.e 3090 pricing on a 4080 or 3080 pricing on a 4070 Ti, where as consumers expected pricing to follow, convention of, model type, 4080 to 3080.

Nvidia can change its mind on how it prices it GPU's and specs them but it has to accept that consumers will change to.

I'm starting to wonder if high bandwidth cards are worth the money. Pretty much all cards with 512GB/s or more memory bandwidth have been expensive. Like the RTX 3070 TI, RTX 3080 and RTX 4070 TI.

Basically, GDDR6 doesn't provide enough bandwidth (at least the standard type doesn't), AMD has tried to work around this problem with infinity cache.
It depends on whether you have a 4K monitor, or plan on buying one, that's when a 256bit or higher memory bus and more VRAM come into there own. The 4070 Ti in the more demanding games, Hogwarts Legacy, the most recent example, struggles, whereas the Intel A770 16GB, had less FPS, but had no stuttering other issues as had a larger bus and more VRAM.

Even in 1440p the 4070 Ti can come close to its limits, in some games.

Even if you do, 1440p looks good in the vast majority of games on a 4K or 1440p display. And you might be able to play at 4K anyway, for example the Witcher 3 used to play extremely well on an RTX 3070. Probably still plays OK, with the latest GFX updates too.

Maybe 4K (native) isn't going to be affordable, until GDDR7 (or better) becomes widespread.
I would agree that at 1440p the 4070 TI looks good in most games but many people, including myself, by cards for the long term, 5 years plus, and if the 4070 Ti is close to the limit at launch will it stand up to 5 years,and that is where my main issue is, if I spend £700-£800 on a GPU, will it last.

Currently, I have a GTX 1070, which has 8GB VRAM and a 256 bit bus, at 7 years old, and it has served me well but I do not have the confidence in the 4070 or 4070 Ti that they will last as long.

Last edited:
AMD still may surprise us as it has more to again from listening the PC community than Nvidia does.

Also AMD as more to worry about from Intel, than Nvidia, so may become more competitive on price so as not to loose it current market share.

4070 only £600, still not sure this is the right price, it appears to be to cut down, may be to "Meh" to be worth it.
Will have to wait on the benchmarks.

Last edited:
So you are saying he was okay to make it up because given the history it was plausible.
No evidence it was made up but he was wrong and that happens when dealing in rumours but what I was saying was that Nvidia's actions and pricing on the 4000 series did make the rumour not totally implausible, which in of itself not good either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom