• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the disappointment of the 4070 and the RX7000 series over all, unless the 7800XT or 7700XT are stellar cards, would a 6750XT be the best stop gap card until the next generation? I am on a 1070 so anything is an upgrade.

Looking at the following.

I thought about a 6800, but the cheapest is, close to the cost or the same as a 6800XT.

The saving would be £131 and could put this aside, along with the rest of my GPU fund, for a better card next Gen.

Last edited:
For a stop gap card I would get this, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-00m-ak.html, https://youtu.be/n3gh0By11jo?t=369

It is the reference board with a lot better cooler, I understand. You will like the AMD software and its easy to change the fan curve in it to make it run even quieter. If AMD get fsr3 working on the 6700xt it will be even better
Like the look of that card, but notice £25 cashback on the Asus 6750XT, so price difference not as great.

Still Founders Edition 4070's on sale, normally a FE is sold out for a new launch, in a day, or even if a few months have passed after release gone after 2-3 days.

4070 not received well, big understatement, and mainly due to price, we can argue about the hardware but if the 4070 had been £500 that would not have been such a big problem.

Nvidia and AMD have to show value for your money in today's market, want £600 for a mid tier GPU, then have 16GB VRAM, and out do a 3080 Ti/6950XT.

Last edited:
Funny thing is how little people would need to find a product more desirable in terms of price (since it won't actually worth even 500 pounds being more of a up sold 4060). 600 vs. 500 is basically 20% (if you look at it against the 500). The difference in price between less expensive 4070 and most expensive is about the same...
Look at all the 6800XT's and 6950XT's that have been selling.

People waited for the 4070 and were just disappointed again and so looked at the best value card they could get and ironically for Nvidia that was AMD, and drove there sales up. More ironically, for Nvidia and AMD, sales did not go up for the latest and greatest GPU, but for the previous generation.

10gb? The 4070 has 12gb last I checked and @mrk said it worked fine with 12gb after the patch. Don’t think he reduced settings?
12GB is fine for now but until a few months ago everybody thought 8GB was.

If you are looking for a GPU, to keep for the long term, meaning 5 years +, then 16GB really should be the minimum VRAM to aim for.
If you upgrade your GPU every generation then 12GB is more than fine.

Last edited:
Personally I think nVidia is only hurting themselves though there likely is no shortage of the average consumer who is buying, there will be plenty of people like myself who'd normally run out and buy something, who don't have specific budget constraints, but don't just buy something of poor value because we can afford it.
The following article sums up why I do not think Nvidia is that bothered by low consumer GPU sales.

Its another craze, like crypto mining, that has hurt your ordinary gamer.

Last edited:
Except for the 4090. Only one worth buying just to get the frontier performance. Everyone else should hold if they can.
You are probably correct, that or a 7900 XTX, but for ytour mid tier gamer, who has to replace a faulty GPU, then all there really is at a "reasonable" price, is the 4070, for next gen, or the 6800XT/6950XT, for last gen.

Calling it an RTX 4070 is fine, it's silly to think they should call it something else. Why would they do that?

It's faster than a RTX3070 after all.

The issue is the price, it should be priced between £450-£500.

The price will drop when remaining 3070s are sold out.
I am not so sure the price will drop, that much if at all, as the 3070 has only just started to fall below MSRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom