• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at cards in terms of longevity and then performance, as the fastest now, may not be the fastest in the future, i.e. 3070 and 6800XT.

Looking at Nvidia cards being seeing then as cost per year and possible length of use, for 1440p, and 4K in a few years.
  • 4070 at £580, say 3 years use, £193 a year.
  • 4080 at £110, say 6 years uses, as of more VRAM and larger Memory Bus, £183 a year.
I am a bit more pesimistic on the 4070 as I do not see 12GB VRAM and a 192 Bit bus lasting more than this given that already many new games are hitting 12GB VRAM.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm not sure I'm buying the VRAM concerns when you've got consoles on a baseline of between 12-13GB of RAM (of which they have to use for both their system and video RAM). No ones buying a £600 GPU expecting to run ultra settings at 4K, so I'd be very surprised if this GPU can't see out this console generation while comfortably maintaining better performance than what is possible on console.

The fact we're still looking at £600 for a midrange GPU sucks, but for people stuck on 1070/1080 class GPUs there gets a point where you can only wait so long to finally upgrade. I'm undecided but I want to play with these new technologies I've been missing out on like RT, DLSS, the non-gaming GPU accelerated things.
I am on a 1070 and if I wait until the next Gen the likelihood is I will have to pay more then than I will for a RTX 4000 or RX7000 card.

There is no real good choice and waiting and hoping that Nvidia and AMD lower there prices, to what we believe they should be, is not going to happen, higher prices are here to stay, and all we can do is buy the best card we can at the price point we have chosen.

Last edited:
Or we don't buy at AMD's and Nvidia's inflated prices and force them to lower

Seriously thinking about that as this Generation is a serious disappointment.

The likeyhood is next gen will be better, Nvidia cant keep rolling out the same performance at the same price point and get away with it for 2 gens in a row.

I am not to convinced on that given Nvidias attitude to consumers, AMD may be better.

The same was said about Turing V1, but Turing V2 was a much better generation because the first version sold poorly. There is plenty of space for Nvidia to relaunch the series with Super models in six months time. Nvidia is sitting on over $5 billion of inventory and relatively poor sales. This is not even considering if any new AMD launches change tiers. Don't believe social media echo chambers - this is a buyers market.

Also you had some chances to upgrade. RX6700XT cards could be had for close to £325 recently and that should be nearly double the performance of a GTX1070. The GTX1070 still gets £100 to £150 secondhand.

Saved a quite a bit for my new card so I am considering previous gen cards, given the disappoint of the new Generation, and looking at a 6800 or 6800XT, maybe a 6950XT, at the right price, and put the savings towards a RTX 5000 or RX8000 card.

Looking at RX6800XT (not much in price between this and a 6800), not to keen on 2nd hand due to no warranty and no idea how its been used, as a stop gap card until next Gen but looking at the prices even second hand they are not far behind the 4070.

Unless I look to a 6750XT it seems I might as well buy a 4070 until the next Gen, have I fallen into Nvidia's cunning plan?

On a 1070 8GB at present.

What good is next gen hardware(4070/ti) if its completely gimped in design?
You are correct but there is no gurantee that it wont happen next generation either. We can wait for any possible Super cards but they will just be even more expensive, with no guarantee performance will match the price.

true, it will most likely happen again with nvidia's next gen offerings in the future. Which is why I don't consider them at all. There are alternatives to the 4070 and 4070 ti for cheaper, they are called a brand new 6800XT or 6950XT with a proven track record. Otherwise you might as well just go "!"#! it" and bleed for a 4080/4090.
I am going to wait to see what the 7800XT I like before deciding, hoping it sits between the 4070 and 4070 Ti at around £650.
Maybe he got a tax windfall!:cry:

The Turing Super Range were generally cheaper for similar performance to their non-Super counterparts:
1.)RTX2070 $499/$599 superceded by RTX2060 Super $400
2.)RTX2080 $699/$799 superceded by RTX2070 Super $500

Basically the people who rushed out to get the RTX2070,got $100~$200 RTX2060 Super,which was only slightly slower. The $699~$799 RTX2080 was replaced by the slightly slower $500 RTX2070 Super which was upto 40% cheaper. Both the RTX2060 and RTX2070 saw reductions in street prices.Looking at what Nvidia has out now,its quite clear they have room to change things. The RTX4080 is the only SKU made from the AD103,and the RTX4090 from the AD102.There is room for the following SKUs,if sales are below predictions:
1.)RTX4080 Super/RTX4080TI - cut down AD102 priced close to the RTX4080
2.)RTX4070 Super - cut down AD103 priced close to the RTX4070TI(16GB VRAM). Replaces RTX4080.
3.)RTX4060 Super - cut down AD104. Essentially replaces the RTX4070.

The Turing Super range was only 3 SKUs too.
Super cards, if released for RTX 4000, may be the cards to buy as you suggest, but given Nvidia's current track record I am not convinced.
More likely slightly better performance at a higher price but we can hope.

Can't see that happening, unlike Nvidia they can pivot their fab allocations to things other than GPUs and make profits on those instead. Basically while they have other revenue streams to tap into they don't have to be majorly worried if one of them isn't turning much of a profit.
Especially as much of there GPU production is sold to Sony.

They can afford to loose PC gamers but not Sony and the PS5.

Still happy with 3080 perf here. Cyberpunk got uninstalled even after its 379th patch, flying round on broomsticks is bordering on a joke and what's the latest, a remake from 10 years ago in the last of us and then another remake that isn't even resident evil. Did I mention dead space remake. I'm holding out for 5000 series to play early access remake of a remake.
I am looking forward to Pong with path tracing.

The performance is similar to the RX 6800 XT, which is a bit cheaper. The RX 6900 XT is a better card overall, but unfortunately is hard to find in stock now.
For the 6900XTs in stock the price is often the same or more than a 7900XT.
The 6950XT can be found cheaper than a 6900XT but only £100 less than a 7900XT.

US is different they seem to get the 6800XT and 6950XT at low enough price to be more compelling than just spending a bit more for the latest 7900XT in the UK.

Unlikely. 7900XT max will fall to £750 and stay there. 20gb vram 320bit bus and performance between a 4070ti/3090ti and 4080 and on par when overclocked with the 4080 at rasterisation. RT perf would be at 3090ti level.
At £750 I would seriously consider a 7900XT, should get 5-6 years use, out of it, though would still wait on the 7800XT as it suits my needs more.

If the 4070 had had a 256bit bus and 16GB VRAM I would have forgiven the £600 price, and bought it.
If the 7800XT does release with a 256bit bus and 16GB VRAM, it has to be asked why could Nvidia not do so, especailly if the 7800XT comes out at the same, or lower price, than the 4070.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom