• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the 4070 hold up! :D

Immortals of Aveum - Game coming soon, based on the new Unreal Engine 5.1.

Quote from Developer, "We chose not to be practical".

System Requirements, Minimum is, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, and Recommended is, GeForce RTX 3080Ti (12GB).

Lol.... Like everything else just because a tech doesn't have traction with the masses doesn't mean it has no worth... I for one can attest to the value of 3d TV. The last time around it was great. I have to say my Sammy 50 in 3d is still going strong. Word to the wise the tech worked.. 3d movies although few & far between really did give some amazing results with the 3d glasses. Simply wonderful!
Agree, all tech innovations have worth, even if they fail or just do not take off, as they can often be a building block to new directions in technology, or just simple lessons to be learnt.

Someone needs to. We stuck with greedy Nvidia and almost as good but also almost as greedy AMD.

More choice and competition the better. If AMD don't up their game they are going to get wiped out if Intel actually push on with ARC. Without Intel they are at 9% market share. What happens if in the next few gens Intel catch up?

AMD need to improve FSR big time and sort out pricing. Really hope they do that by the time their next gen launches.
Its looking like in one generation, Intel, have almost caught up on Nvidia with XESS, so that is promising.

In terms of hardware the ARC cards were quite good they were just let down by the drivers, but even here Intel are improving by leaps and bounds.
Intel BattleMage is looking promising, hardware wise, and with the drivers vastly improved should have a better launch than the A750/A770.

Who would have thought people would be cheering for Intel to out do AMD and Nvidia and take a bigger market share.

Intel's problem is the same problem facing AMD, its Nvidia.
Saying XESS is better than FSR but not quite as good as DLSS doesn't make people buy Intel GPU's, it makes them buy Nvidia GPU's, Its an advert for Nvidia.

AMD are far better positioned than Intel to take on Nvidia, the reason they aren't is because the same people who are now trying to champion Intel to challenge Nvidia put Nvidia on this impossibly high pedestal to begin with and made that job that much more difficult, now instead of realizing that their promoting Intel despite thier frankly broken over priced GPU's does nothing but promote Nvidia again.
In part you are right but XESS has made far bigger leaps in improvement than AMD has in FSR, and Intel are still on Gen 1 of XESS.

AMD are in a better position but they fail to make the most of that position and are not aggressive enough in there marketing.

What a lot of gamers want is a 3 way fight so there is greater competition and hopefully better prices and more innovation.

I am also willing to give Intel time as they are new to the dGPU market and despite there ARC launch not going well the cards are improving, via the drivers, as the hardware has proven more solid than many believed.

I have some screenshots if you like. DLSS + High Textures > native + ultra textures > fsr + Ultra textures.

Sad story for the vram warriors, but it's true. Personal attacks against me may help you pat each other in the back but they won't change the facts.
At present the 4070 is good card, not brilliant but good, with a poor price but its looking increasing likely that 12Gb VRAM will not last, as the minimum standard, as long as 8GB did and that 16GB for the long run is.

Most people buy GPU's to last years but its looking like 12GB will not do so, most likely due to most games companies looking at consoles at the same time as PC's, and sell more to Consoles, and they offer 16GB VRAM, so make games with that in mind.
As we have seen the PC optimisation is often poor so 8GB is not enough and in some cases 12GB is just enough.

Someone modded a 3070 to have 16GB VRAM, impressive uplift.

Well I never understood what 12gb will not last even means. I played hogwarts on a 3060ti 3440x1440p with everything maxed out except textures (high) on ultra. As I've said before, it looks better than fsr with ultra textures, so I'd rather have the option of dlss then extra vram

Is there a game currently that you can't play on 8gb cards? I wanna try that's why I'm asking.
I suppose what I mean the timeframe, on which you can play on High settings, on a new card, then medium and then low, over time, is getting narrower.
8GB lasted 10 years, I do not see 12GB lasting that.

Of course games can still be played at 8GB, but for how much longer?

I'm happy with it, got it running undervolted to 1.0v, 2950mhz on the core, 23000 on the memory. Highest temp reached 58C. The card is whisper silent, draws next to no power (relatively speaking) and no coil whine.

Coming from a 2080 that was 4 years old and running quite hot, this is a nice step up. I'll be replacing it in a year or two anyway, it'll do until then.
Thanks for the Info, thinking of the 4070 as stop gap card, until RTX 5000 and RX 8000 released, in couple of years, as well.

On a 1070 so any recent card release is an upgrade but want to wait on the 7800XT first just to see if get better price to performance, or any further price drops on the 4070.

Last edited:
I am willing to wait on the 7800XT and 7700XT, and see what is offered, as AMD hardware, VRAM specifically, and not just its drivers, have aged like fine wine, while Nvidia, the 3070/3070Ti, not so much.

I have to agree that, now that the xt is cheaper than the 70ti it looks like the better buy. I stil wouldnt buy cause of the lack of dlss but for people that think it's a gimmick, xt is definitely the card to get
Depends on how good FSR 3 is, then the DLSS 3 advantage is negated, just have to find out to what extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom