• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 6600XT 1080p gaming for $379 on Aug 11

Associate
I cancelled my order for an MSI Gaming X from a rival shop and bought the £375 Sapphire Pulse from OCUK. That price in todays market was too good to ignore. And the TechPowerUo review of the cooler on this card shows its extremely quiet. Good job Sapphire.

Associate
I still maintain that the primary reason fort only 8 PCIe lanes is power budget rather than intentional gimping or even cost cutting.

I read that the main reason for 8 originates from laptops, where a wider bus isnt needed. The extremely good efficiency of the cards in general also hints at this design origin.

Soldato
Tempted to get the Sapphire 6600XT Pulse although my experience with the Sapphire 560 Pulse makes me a bit warry (lack of zero RPM fan mode, driver crashes whilst on desktop or browsing the web and the model I got had fewer shader cores then the original spec). Has anyone here had experience with more recent Sapphire offerings in particular with Pulse models?

Last edited:
Associate
Tempted to get the Sapphire 6600XT Pulse although my experience with the Sapphire 560 XT Pulse makes me a bit warry (lack of zero RPM fan mode, driver crashes whilst on desktop or browsing the web and the model I got had fewer shader cores then the original spec). Has anyone here had experience with more recent Sapphire offerings in particular with Pulse models?

It's one of the best AIB models, zero fan stop of course and one of the quietest cards around, with decent OC headroom: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pulse-oc/

Man of Honour
Tempted to get the Sapphire 6600XT Pulse although my experience with the Sapphire 560 XT Pulse makes me a bit warry (lack of zero RPM fan mode, driver crashes whilst on desktop or browsing the web and the model I got had fewer shader cores then the original spec). Has anyone here had experience with more recent Sapphire offerings in particular with Pulse models?
Was that a non-standard design? Two fans? The regular RX 560 Pulse does have a zero RPM fan mode and I've had no problem with the very similar 550 (if drivers prior to 20. are used).

Soldato
Are you talking about the 5600 XT Pulse or the RX 560 Pulse? Either way it shouldn't really matter, as both of those cards do have idle fan stop. Maybe you had a program like Afterburner interfering with it or something. I assume you probably mean the RX 560 by the missing shaders comment, but that was an AMD thing in general rather than anything Sapphire did. They made the choice to sell two different versions of the RX 560 with different shader counts whilst naming them identically. As for crashes, that could be anything from a faulty card to a problem with your setup. Nothing to do with the model of card though.

The Pulse lineup in general have been fantastic cards. I had the Vega 56 Pulse and it was great, and from all the reviews so far it seems like the Pulse is one of the best 6600 XTs. Haven't found any reviews of the Nitro, but it seems to be pretty much exactly the same card with some RGB nonsense for your extra £25.

Soldato
I read that the main reason for 8 originates from laptops, where a wider bus isnt needed. The extremely good efficiency of the cards in general also hints at this design origin.

It's to reduce board complexity and boost margin. Not a problem on PCIe 4 but unless you have a B550 or X570 or Intel equivalent, all recent and hardly budget basement...

Associate
Could you give us more details about this please, I had a look via a VPN, and couldn't see a way to pre-order items.
Yesterday a few minutes before I posted I went to AMD direct buy site and I was redirected to a queue page, after about 20 minutes it stated that they exhausted the GPUs.

I will try again today at the same time, (3pm in UK), no idea if they were testing something or if by chance I got a rare AMD shop drop.

Soldato
@Zarax good luck, pre-orders at or near RRP would be brilliant.

AMD has already ruled out a reference model for the RX 6600 XT though, anyone would think they don't like offering reference models, especially since they account for such a small percentage of sold AMD GPUs :p

I like how they try to give the impression that the decision to offer reference models or not, is based on customer demand... I mean, they could really give Nvidia a kick up the backside if 50% of the cards sold were reference models sold at RRP price - But, they don't need too, both companies are sitting pretty.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yesterday a few minutes before I posted I went to AMD direct buy site and I was redirected to a queue page, after about 20 minutes it stated that they exhausted the GPUs.

I will try again today at the same time, (3pm in UK), no idea if they were testing something or if by chance I got a rare AMD shop drop.

They`ve been doing it for a while, you can join the queue if products are in the shop, if every product is potentially allocated then the queue closes, but its not a smart system and its based on xxx amount of gpus and cpus.

Caporegime
AMD has already ruled out a reference model for the RX 6600 XT though, anyone would think they don't like offering reference models, especially since they account for such a small percentage of sold AMD GPUs :p

They're *making* reference models forAiB's to sell but won't sell them on their own store. Greed.

Soldato
Are you talking about the 5600 XT Pulse or the RX 560 Pulse? Either way it shouldn't really matter, as both of those cards do have idle fan stop. Maybe you had a program like Afterburner interfering with it or something. I assume you probably mean the RX 560 by the missing shaders comment, but that was an AMD thing in general rather than anything Sapphire did. They made the choice to sell two different versions of the RX 560 with different shader counts whilst naming them identically. As for crashes, that could be anything from a faulty card to a problem with your setup. Nothing to do with the model of card though.

The Pulse lineup in general have been fantastic cards. I had the Vega 56 Pulse and it was great, and from all the reviews so far it seems like the Pulse is one of the best 6600 XTs. Haven't found any reviews of the Nitro, but it seems to be pretty much exactly the same card with some RGB nonsense for your extra £25.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah my card is a RX 560 I bought it 2nd hand of the bay to tide me over during these crazy times but the card is unstable when doing simple desktop tings like web browsing it was 100% rock solid in games but now I've noticed it's started to artifact in games like Total War Atilla so I'm now looking for a replacement.

I was looking at the Nitro+ as well but over then slightly higher boost clocks and RGB on the cooler I couldn't see much difference but without a proper review it's hard to say if the extra £25 is worth it or not (the marketing materials suggest it may be slightly quieter then the Pulse).

Back
Top Bottom