• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX VEGA AIB Cards Information Needed?

Associate
The OC3D charts look worse, performance wise, than the reality because they rank according to 1080p performance, which a graphics card like this is wasted on.

The 1440p/4K performance relative to the competition is more forgiving, but at the price is still disappointing.

You would be daft to pay the premium for V64 over a 1070ti, daft to buy a 1070ti over a 1070, and daft to buy a 1070 over a 980ti, if price to performance is what you're concerned with.

Soldato
Just saw Murpa posted in Vega 64 thread:

I contacted OCUK support in regards to the release date of the ASUS Vega 64 STRIX. The customer service agent said the supplier has put the release date back to January!!

Look like OCUK will have no custom Vega cards in stock for Christmas, PowerColor only shipped just 40 custom Vega 64 Red Devil cards worldwide when it was launched a week ago on 1 December 2017 accorded to Computerbase.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-12/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-56-referenz-produktionsstopp/

So PowerColor probably could ship another 40 cards at end of December 2017 or push back to January 2018 before productions in Taiwan shutdown in 2 weeks advance before Chinese new year holiday. It do not look like AMD increased custom Vega 56 and 64 supply when it is incredible too close to Nvidia's Volta or Ampere launch in March 2018 at GTC 2018.

Associate
Yeah. I emailed them last night about it and I got a reply this afternoon.

2crug7s.jpg

Its a pity because I was looking forward to getting the Strix to match the Maximus X Code.

I have a Freesync monitor so I wanted to get an AMD card for that.

AMD have stopped production on all reference cards too though. They've already been removed from stock in a lot of retailers. Does that mean AMD have NO Vega graphics cards for sale over the Christmas period?? That doesn't seem right? It doesn't make any sense for them to do that. That's a LOT of sales to be missing out on.

EDIT: Got some more confirmation from another retailer.

28sm0ro.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I just want Vega because I have a 3440x1440 75hz Freesync monitor.

Ive never used Freesync or GSync. Is freesync really worth it now that Vega AIBs are delayed until after Xmas? Would I be better off just getting a 1080ti STRIX instead I wonder?

Soldato
It is pretty bad to just not have any presence in the market. People will just go to Nvidia and give them money. Maybe those people will become long term Nvidia customers and be lost to AMD for years to come.

Associate
It is pretty bad to just not have any presence in the market. People will just go to Nvidia and give them money. Maybe those people will become long term Nvidia customers and be lost to AMD for years to come.

Yeah I usually like to alternate brands. But if AMD can't even supply anything that competes with Nvidia then what are consumers supposed to do other than just buy Nvidia.

Like my last CPU was a AMD Phenom II 1090T. And for this build I have an Intel 8700k.

My last AMD card was a 6870 I bought in 2010, which I kept until 2013 when I got a GTX770. So for this build I was gonna go AMD.

This purchase is an important decision for me because it will be the graphics card I will be keeping for possibly 5 or so years. It will also be the most expensive PC component I've ever bought. And its looking like Nvidia is the only option, and AMD can't even put a card on the market.

The whole situation will create a loss of consumer confidence in AMD. AMD can't even get their act together to supply the product, which lowers my faith in their capability to support the product. I mean imagine if you were one of the few who already has an AIB card from say ASUS or Powercolor. If you need to RMA it for whatever reason then your **** outta luck because there's nothing to replace it with.

Soldato
I suspect a lot of those Vega cards are going directly to miners which imo is fair enough as not enough gamers buy AMD. You only have look at GTX1080 release and how people were losing their minds to buy a glorified mid range card (this forum slowed down to a crawl on release day) this what AMD are up against so if they can find a niche selling to miners then fair play to them.

Soldato
I suspect a lot of those Vega cards are going directly to miners which imo is fair enough as not enough gamers buy AMD. You only have look at GTX1080 release and how people were losing their minds to buy a glorified mid range card (this forum slowed down to a crawl on release day) this what AMD are up against so if they can find a niche selling to miners then fair play to them.

Yes, it makes money in the short term, but what happens when miners move on to the next thing and dump their cards on the market? You end up with a load of burnt out cards on the second hand market showing how AMD products "don't last", even though they are taking away from new sales, and you end up with AMD having a reputation for not being the card for gamers for no other reason than everyone's been buying Nvidia (because there are no AMD cards or they are insanely priced).

Long term, it looks like AMD stepping away from the PC gaming market, even if they are making money right now from miners. It may not be the case, but if they can't get product out for people to buy, that's what it looks like and that's what reputation AMD will get for their inability to supply.

Associate
I folded. Im not waiting for the Vega 64 Strix any longer. Been waiting since September. I changed my order to a 1080ti instead and its already on the way.

Might just sell my monitor at some stage in the future and get a G-Sync one instead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom