• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX VEGA AIB Cards Information Needed?

Soldato
It never is AMD's fault is it ? :D
Well not when it isn't no, when high demand outstrips supply resulting in inflated prices that's hardly the fault of the supplier when they are trying their best to meet demand.

If it was a case of supplier limiting supply in the face of demand to jack up profit a la Nintendo then I could see the merit of blaming AMD, but as that's not the case it hardly seems fair to blame them for the mining boom lol.

Associate
Vegas stupid pricing is more down to the demand than anything else.
TitanVs stupid price is due to its die being the size of a small country.

And Intels high prices are due to greed :p

Caporegime
Well not when it isn't no, when high demand outstrips supply resulting in inflated prices that's hardly the fault of the supplier when they are trying their best to meet demand.

If it was a case of supplier limiting supply in the face of demand to jack up profit a la Nintendo then I could see the merit of blaming AMD, but as that's not the case it hardly seems fair to blame them for the mining boom lol.

There is no supply though as far as AIB models go and refererence are EOL.
There was no demand when the prices were high when it was just reference cards too as the stock counts just didn't move.

So it's not a mining issue.

Soldato
Vegas shortage isn't down to mining the minor hash rate increase you get over a 580 isn't worth double the cost, not forgetting that the Vegas also uses a crap load more power.

LOL! Might be better for AMD to not sell any Vega at all rather than lose money on each one! The optimist in me hopes they are going to surprise us with a new revision with process tweaks, but then I remember it's AMD we're talking about - there will be nothing new for ten months, nothing sensibly priced, it'll probably arrive late and under perform.

Soldato
I don’t recall there being a high demand for reference vega. I recall there being lots sat on the shelves until it was discounted in an EOL firesale.

As for AIB vega well it simply doesn’t exist (yet). And if/when it does I expect the prices will tempt only the fool hardy.

Soldato
There was no demand when the prices were high when it was just reference cards
Not at launch no, but once it became apparent Vegas were mining gods they sold out in most places, I.E here Gibbo had to make the V56 one per customer in the final weeks and miners were still ringing him up to try and blag bulk orders. Hell in Russia one of the state owned banks had to issue a public apology for causing a national AMD GPU shortage lol.

Vegas shortage isn't down to mining the minor hash rate increase you get over a 580 isn't worth double the cost, not forgetting that the Vegas also uses a crap load more power.
There are two major flaws with this: One, it's completely wrong. And two, it's completely wrong. Now I realise that technically speaking that's only one flaw but I thought that it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice. (Be interesting to see if anyone gets that reference).

For reference a Vega card will perform just over twice as well as an RX580 while consuming roughly the same power.

Caporegime
Not at launch no, but once it became apparent Vegas were mining gods they sold out in most places, I.E here Gibbo had to make the V56 one per customer in the final weeks and miners were still ringing him up to try and blag bulk orders. Hell in Russia one of the state owned banks had to issue a public apology for causing a national AMD GPU shortage lol.

Vega has been out months, there was probably a month where etailers sold a handful. They just weren't selling at the higher prices, the last lot gibbo sold at the cheaper pricing.

At the end of the day.
There is nil supply, demand of one person would be too much lol

Associate
There are two major flaws with this: One, it's completely wrong. And two, it's completely wrong. Now I realise that technically speaking that's only one flaw but I thought that it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice. (Be interesting to see if anyone gets that reference).

I can smell a Red Dwarf reference a mile off ;)

Soldato
Nothing to do with the cost of HBM manufacture then, like pretty much everyone else already knows.

It was a poor decision from AMD IMO to go with HBM and stick with it, I know they did it to help save power as they need to run a power hungry die to keep up with NV, but still, it's hurting them more than helping I think.

They should perhaps stick to the mid range and £/performance rather than trying to compete with Nv, because they're clearly not up to it.

Back
Top Bottom