• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX VEGA AIB Cards Information Needed?

Soldato
Was talk of November for the custom cards, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

They won't be worth buying anyway, as even the ref cards are not worth buying, £470 for a 56, when a faster custom 1080 is only £500, and a 56 matcher custom overclocked 1070 is only £350, the ref air 64 is around £60 more than a custom 1080, and the ref liquid one, which is a match for the custom 1080, is £699, for the cheapest, for £20 less, you can get a custom 1080 Ti that smashes it (30%+ faster), and even has more memory.

Im surprised these guys havn't just stopped stocking them now tbh, as just collecting dust in there, just absolutely no point in em.

Nvidia, the value for money option. LOL.

Soldato
The price gulf between Vega/1080 at the moment just seems bizarre otherwise.

The 1080 has been out for well over a year at this stage. Remember it got the $100 price drop in January, so if you compare launch prices the difference isn't as big. Now add the cost of HBM to the equation and the price gulf isn't bizarre at all.

Soldato
AMD needs to drop the prices of Vega cards by $100/£100. Reduce every card by the same amount. They are good cards and if you check the owners threads people seem very happy with them. The price is killing them though. Surely it's better to lose £100 on every card than not sell the card at all. They are in stock everywhere.

Man of Honour
I was contemplating buying a vega as soon as I could get a normal priced one. But when hearing about reference being too loud you've knocked me right off. That's my main reason I dislike my 290x

It's quieter than rx480 ref which was quieter than 290x (by quite a bit) but is still a tad too loud for me as everything else is basically silent.

Associate
AMD needs to drop the prices of Vega cards by $100/£100. Reduce every card by the same amount. They are good cards and if you check the owners threads people seem very happy with them. The price is killing them though. Surely it's better to lose £100 on every card than not sell the card at all. They are in stock everywhere.

Maybe if they don’t drop the price there hand will be forced if the 1070ti comes in well priced

Soldato
I was contemplating buying a vega as soon as I could get a normal priced one. But when hearing about reference being too loud you've knocked me right off. That's my main reason I dislike my 290x
My ref Vega64 is a lot quieter than ref 290s I owned, with which I found I had to use AiO adapters to make bearable.

Soldato
I was about to say much the same, the type of noise vega makes isnt as bad as old cards. It also does its best to run cool whenever, I often check back and in old games its not even above 100w because it doesnt have to try that hard. Just make sure to custom profile and undervolt it, goes fine mostly. I can hear it ramp up if I set temp target low but its only audible when the game stops, any game I play the sound makes the fan into nothing.
The thing that bugs me about noisy cards is when they spin up too much at idle or it oscillates and theres none of that because its barely using any power most of the time.
4870 and 2900gt were noisy, thats my reference, vega is like a car with 7 gears it can barely tick over and still move. Technology has come a long way.
Not that I wouldnt still rate 3rd party fans just trying to break the myth oh its terrible, people should make a vid just on fan noise nothing else as it can be a deal breaker I dont disagree there.

is still a tad too loud for me as everything else is basically silent.

Its relative, some wont like any sound but Im not sure I want 100% silence anyway and I use headphones. If I had some perfect acoustic setup and stereo system this might be no good then but the kind of noise it makes is not jarring

Hence Raja is now sleeping with the fishes?
I think he has other projects in Video and in his native India no doubt time away is useful. I dont see how he can be blamed for factory production and volume of cards available. The card itself is nothing anyone would get fired over, the 480 power thing was maybe

I watch some mining rig builds and some people are running rooms full of vega cards. I cant believe it because its not cheap but it will run cool, low watts and does produce for them so they are buying. That is a large part of why is no stock available, they will just keep buying up stock for now

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, Nvidia have already got 3x cards faster and cheaper than theirs, so a 4th aint going to make a difference to their prices, or their sales for that matter, as they still won't be selling when it arrives.

Permabanned
Vega has been a travesty.

You can say that again,

It's no surprise heads had to roll.

If the price hadn't gone back up I'd of considered adding an AIO to one but when you look at the total spent they're simply not worth the money.

Was talk of November for the custom cards, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

They won't be worth buying anyway, as even the ref cards are not worth buying, £470 for a 56, when a faster custom 1080 is only £500, and a 56 matcher custom overclocked 1070 is only £350, the ref air 64 is around £60 more than a custom 1080, and the ref liquid one, which is a match for the custom 1080, is £699, for the cheapest, for £20 less, you can get a custom 1080 Ti that smashes it (30%+ faster), and even has more memory.

Im surprised these guys havn't just stopped stocking them now tbh, as just collecting dust in there, just absolutely no point in em.

Got a 1070 Ti supposedly in a couple of weeks time coming, which will no doubt match the ref 64s, and also be cheaper.

It's a sad situation for AMD and those of us who waited for Vega. AMD's saving grace has been Ryzen, I ended up with a 1600x so I've bought something from them at least, I might end up buying a G-sync monitor at some point and once that happens RTG's dead to me.

Soldato
You can say that again,

It's no surprise heads had to roll.

If the price hadn't gone back up I'd of considered adding an AIO to one but when you look at the total spent they're simply not worth the money.

It's a sad situation for AMD and those of us who waited for Vega. AMD's saving grace has been Ryzen, I ended up with a 1600x so I've bought something from them at least, I might end up buying a G-sync monitor at some point and once that happens RTG's dead to me.
Ryzen was a good product minus the bugs and problems at launch. They were competitive and very good for the price. but it hasn't taken intel long to readjust their lineup and now intel are price and performance competitive again. The difference with Vega is it's a turd and an expensive one to manufacture that they can't even compete by lowering prices, so all it does it artificially hold mid range gcards at their current prices. Only diehard amd fans will buy vega, whilst people like me refuse to spend the money on it or GP104 are left in frustration.

OcUK Staff
On OcUK:

1070: From £349 and in stock.
1080: From £499 and in stock.

If 1070Ti comes, its still just a rumoured product with nothing concrete, expect it from £399 for just a basic blower style card and around £449-£549 for more exotic versions.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with Vega64 here. Cost £449, overclocks to 1800/1100 and outperforms plenty of 1080s in benchmarks and games. Gaming at 100fps+ @1440p it's hardly a travesty for me personally. But keep on bashing AMD like it's the ginger step child so you don't look uncool to your fellow forum buddies. :p:p

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with Vega64 here. Cost £449, overclocks to 1800/1100 and outperforms plenty of 1080s in benchmarks and games. Gaming at 100fps+ @1440p it's hardly a travesty for me personally. But keep on bashing AMD like it's the ginger step child so you don't look uncool to your fellow forum buddies. :p:p

As of right now, Vega 64 isn't £449, that's the travesty. At the moment it's an absolute wreck. Have you ever seen a launch with this little amount of partners? I haven't.
It's not bashing to state a fact, that at the moment AMD doesn't have a competitive card due to pricing.

As it stands I'd probably jump on a £449 Vega 64, despite personally still feeling it's overpriced.

Soldato
Then forget to add the cost of your block/water cooling setup, + very few numbers that were priced rx56 389, rx64 £449.
Those prices were good but not now. In your opinion you got a well priced card but don't forget the finer details.

Back
Top Bottom