• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX Vega With Kraken G10 AIO Mod

Soldato
I've got some Akasa thermal tape in the post. Will be 14th before it arrives, plenty of time to fashion up some heatsinks. Problem with VRMs is that the case is not isolated from the circuit unlike plastic topped DDR modules therefore my thermal paste and superglue is out of the question.

Associate
OP
I've got some Akasa thermal tape in the post. Will be 14th before it arrives, plenty of time to fashion up some heatsinks. Problem with VRMs is that the case is not isolated from the circuit unlike plastic topped DDR modules therefore my thermal paste and superglue is out of the question.

I think your right. Just watched a video, the guy said to be carefull as these cards have exposed drains on the mosfets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlpkmPEYTGE&t=582s it's from 11.00 min onwards if your interested. Seems the young lad knows his onions.

Soldato
I had to make the holes slightly oval to get the bolts in flush to the back plate.
9v493mn.jpg
This is where I'm at atm. My drilling on the backplate was not as accurate, one hole was too close to the existing holes so I made a new one tapping from the other side. Did u file the oval out or use the drill to oval them? BTW yours looks like a thing of beauty all symmetrical.

Associate
OP
This is where I'm at atm. My drilling on the backplate was not as accurate, one hole was too close to the existing holes so I made a new one tapping from the other side. Did u file the oval out or use the drill to oval them? BTW yours looks like a thing of beauty all symmetrical.

I used the drill bit to oval the holes. Did you center punch before drilling the holes?

Soldato
Yes center punched, used a bit of opaque plastic and double sided sticky tape for the template, it was just tight lining it up to avoid holes and the edge.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've purchased a H110 with the intention of modding my G10 Kraken. Though I am hoping with a shim (or even 2) I can keep the stock pcb cover and backplate.

Soldato
@Geck0 I didn't go as far as dismantling the stock heatsink fan but nexusgamers did on their vega 56 stripdown youtube video. The only tricky part was (assuming you have small philips screwdrivers), the unattachement of the LED control wire. Its got two micro tabs that you need to push with the tip of a flathead screw driver to be able to put it off.

Soldato
My reference Vega 64 was running .900mV, getting 1450/1000 with core ~77c-80c, HBM ~83c, GPU Hot Spot ~85c and fan speed of 2300rpm. I was quite happy and getting slightly higher than stock speed. But this mod has been niggling at me since RogerTheGoat made this thread demonstrating how easy it was. That and the fact I had a Kraken G10 and a Corsair H110 lying around, it seemed pointless not to.

2.5 hours of work later the mod was complete, even with a broken hand in a plaster cast from my finger tips to my elbow :)

So I have finished my Vega 64 Kraken G10 mod and the difference is astounding.

Same settings as above and core is now 42c, HBM 45c, GPU Hot Spot 60c.

Running it in a quick overclock at stock voltages (just adding +50% Power Limit), 1585 core 1100 HBM and core temp is 53c, HBM 52c, Hot Spot 88c.

Some tinkering required but I suspect 1600 - 1650 with some undervolting is possible.

Soldato
How did u cool the mosfets? I'm going a bit ocd with them atm, hacksaw, dremel + file and later sand/polish. The G10 fan only covers half so do u have an extra fan on the rest? My excuse was I was waiting for the thermal tape but it arrived comfirming I am being slooow. I want it to be the best I can do, cause it probably won't move for years.

Soldato
How did u cool the mosfets? I'm going a bit ocd with them atm, hacksaw, dremel + file and later sand/polish. The G10 fan only covers half so do u have an extra fan on the rest? My excuse was I was waiting for the thermal tape but it arrived comfirming I am being slooow. I want it to be the best I can do, cause it probably won't move for years.

I didn't, I put some heatsinks on the VRMs using thermal adhesive tape. Honestly the fact the GPU is ~40c cooler will keep those the surrounding areas and the mosfets well within temperature tolerances. One thing I will be avoiding is the temptation of pushing OC and voltage to the limits because it has so much more headroom.

Undervolt and get ~1600-1650 and I will be happy.

Permabanned
I was planning on doing the same mod that I did to my 290 reference and modify the base plate so that there is room for the AIO cold plate / pump to attach to the GPU & HBM while leaving the base plate on the VRM & Mosfets to provide a heat sink. It looks like though that the bottom row is quite close to the GPU and the AIO cold plate might hang over a couple of them. Is this correct?

Associate
OP
I was planning on doing the same mod that I did to my 290 reference and modify the base plate so that there is room for the AIO cold plate / pump to attach to the GPU & HBM while leaving the base plate on the VRM & Mosfets to provide a heat sink. It looks like though that the bottom row is quite close to the GPU and the AIO cold plate might hang over a couple of them. Is this correct?

That's right Gecko. You would have to cut away some of the base plate to get the AIO cold plate on the GPU.

Back
Top Bottom