1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryzen "2" ?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by beany_bot, Oct 9, 2017.

1. chrcoluk

Wise Guy

I think OC3D did some criticism of a free sample, with the asus strix 370 boards? A pretty rare event.

Basically he did a "delayed" video to explain why there was no benchmarking as he wanted to "give them a chance to fix it before publishing" as LLC did not work at all on that particular board, he even said in the video he would not be surprised if he got blacklisted for publishing the video.

Asus eventually released a fix bios, but that saga also revealed that their prime boards were substandard as ASUS announced the prime boards were never going to get a LLC fix as their hardware wasnt capable of not having vdroop.

2. humbug

Caporegime

I didn't know that, thanks, interesting, it is indeed telling.
    When actually think about that, it is extremely rare for any hardware to get anything other than a glowing review, really? nothing wrong with anything?

3. chrcoluk

Wise Guy

Yeah they should at least try to hide the bias by pointing out "some" flaws.

4. humbug

Caporegime

While on about reviewer bais and imatturity.

AdoredTV just pulled Steve at Hardware Unboxed to pieces.

A summery in short, Jim wanted to dispel the myth that bench marking at low resolution proves future performance of the CPU.

He did this by using the 2500K vs the FX-8350, while at the time the 2500K was faster than the FX-8350, but in modern titles the FX-8350 is faster than the 2500K thus dispelled said myth.

Steve reacted quite badly to this, he made his own review and sure enough the 2500K was still miles ahead, according to Steve, Jim studied it and found that a third of his titles are actually old 2500K era games but worse when Jim compared some of those reviews with the same reviews Steve had done in the past he found what was in some cases a large discrepancy in his results. The same benchmark at the same settings resulted in much better performance for the FX-8350 in those past reviews.

Now that's dodgy, that's writing whatever you like on the review slide to suit your own arguments.

5. Zeed

Mobster

Not GN steve thats why he lost few sampling freebies. Coolermaster not long ago for totally trashing their good looking but crap cooling case :D

and this pc build lol

6. kitfit1

Mobster

Other than the reviewers that have them in there hands at the moment, we, the great unwashed don't know yet. One thing we do know though, because Elmor has told us, is the 370 mobo's clock 4 sticks of ram better than the 470 mobo's and the 470 mobo's clock 2 sticks of ram better than the 370 mobo's when using a 2700X.

7. Zeed

Mobster

@Gibbo @8Pack Any chance of some Binned Zen+ chips ?? Would rather support OCUK than import from usa. At lest i know money will be burnt @ Santa pod not wasted on some crap :]
    Promissed myself my next CPU will be binned not after having 4 bad clocking Cpus in row :/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. Zeed

Mobster

Yup He confirmed today that for X470 You want 2x16 if ya after 32gb. Its due to how they changed VRM design.

9. Vakas

Wise Guy

so if you have 4 8GB sticks it wont be very good on the X470?

10. Zeed

Mobster

11. chrcoluk

Wise Guy

yeah that buildzoid breakdown of the 370 strix is damming humbug, I actually think the broken LLC was deliberate, they knew the voltage components were weak. Asus boards below top end ROG keep getting worse, its like bait and switch between generations. I suggest anyone here building ryzen 2 to go with asrock, unless you prepared to spend on the top end asus ROG board.

12. Vakas

Wise Guy

Cool, so I think it's better to keep the X370 and drop a new 2700X in

13. kitfit1

Mobster

As Zeed has said, better on the 370. But let me give you my take on this. When released, the 370 was also worse for clocking 4 sticks of ram. It wasn't for some time that the 4 sticks of Hynix 3200 i had could run at 3200 stable. Got 4 sticks of B-die now that happily run at 3333.
    This was down to bios maturity, i'm guessing the same thing will happen with the 470's as well because at some point another mobo with better VRM will hit the market.

14. Zeed

Mobster

I would have went asrock over C6H but NOT ENOUGH USBs insteadd some useless wifi..... Oculus rift takes 5 USBs !!!!

15. chrcoluk

Wise Guy

which asrock board was you looking at zeed?

Bear in mind there is headers as well on board usually so can use case front connectors or other addon usb ports.

16. humbug

Caporegime

Do you have a link to that? i like his videos.

17. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

18. jigger

Capodecina

This is dragging out.

19. kitch9

Soldato

Asus can't even provide a sufficient power supply witg their 800 quid monitors so I doubt their motherboards are anywhere near up to snuff.

20. Zeed

Mobster

depends what line. C6H could run 2x1700 lol

320 Amps for core :D 160 for Soc. So tahts 480 amps for cpu haha

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018