• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Caporegime
The 8700K runs at 4.3Ghz all cores, provided the cooling is good enough, given that all reviewers use £150 of higher priced coolers when reviewing the chip what you see in all reviews is best case, some of those reviews on Asus boards the CPU is running at 4.7Ghz all cores.

4.3Ghz is not a low clock speed, pretty much all 8700K overclock to 4.8Ghz with good cooling, that's about a 10% overclock, not much more than what Ryzen 2 overclocks.

Actually this has just reminded me of something, i think it was Guru3D who reviewed a Mideon 8700K Desktop, it had more ordinary air cooling on it, the performance on that 8700K machiene was 10 to 15% less than review samples with their £150+ coolers.

Associate
Ordered a 2700X and X470 board to upgrade my current i7-7700k system. I was tempted by the 8700k but the hassle of having to swap motherboards every time a new CPU comes out made me go AMD. Haven't purchased an AMD CPU in over 15 years, the last AMD CPU I owned was an Athlon XP 2000.

Soldato
I'm curious if there will be any performance loss if we stick a 2700X into an X370 mobo or if the X370 mobo/chipset will just lack the new XFR and precision boost features which are negated if you overclock anyway.

Soldato
I'm curious if there will be any performance loss if we stick a 2700X into an X370 mobo or if the X370 mobo/chipset will just lack the new XFR and precision boost features which are negated if you overclock anyway.
If overclocking I suspect zero difference, except maybe that X370 will be better at first with more mature BIOS releases.

Associate
I suppose everyone is different, but I always upgrade motherboard with cpu. I don't change the cpu that often, so has never been an issue for me. Get all the nice new features that the latest motherboards have as well.

Soldato
He felt that allowing some reviewers to have preferential treatment on unboxing videos before release date was immoral, so as a protect he just realeased the results early. Apparently AMD changed their policy based on it, but obviously it didn't put GN on the good books of AMD, so he didn't get a sample this time around. Doesn't seem to matter though, as he's had the CPU's longer than most reviewers will hopefully have more time to give good reviews.

In all honesty I have never liked the cosy relationship media have had with hardware vendors. All this free review sampling to me is bulllcrap. A reviewer should be anonymous to the vendor so to achieve that they should be buying random retail parts and I also feel a reviewer is more likely to be honest if they spending actual cash to get the product giving a second reason to go out and buy stuff. Whilst if they getting free review samples, they are always going to have to think about printing something that may shed a negative light on the company as they always going to want to protect their position of getting future review samples. That alone is going to compromise the integrity of a reviewer.

Caporegime

Oh, i thought that was just the difference between the all core boost and the last bit, the the 1800X 4Ghz to 4.1Ghz, using that as an example its base clock is 3.6Ghz, but it will boost the 3.7Ghz on all cores.
Ryzen 2 looks like it will have a more varied boost range, like 4.2Ghz 2 core, 4.1Ghz 3 core, 4Ghz 4 core.............. do AMD have a name for that? what ever it is that's what you get with the 400 series boards.

The supposed better power delivery will tho.

And, i guess that ^^^^ :)

Soldato
Only one of the big reviewers I take any notice of now. Goes to lengths no one else gets near.
his early videos were great, however he is progressively just becoming "another reviewer" as he has to start falling "into line".

I have contacted him a few times about issues not brought up in his videos, he responded in the early days and would address on his site or youtube, now he doesnt reply and just ignores.

Caporegime
In all honesty I have never liked the cosy relationship media have had with hardware vendors. All this free review sampling to me is bulllcrap. A reviewer should be anonymous to the vendor so to achieve that they should be buying random retail parts and I also feel a reviewer is more likely to be honest if they spending actual cash to get the product giving a second reason to go out and buy stuff. Whilst if they getting free review samples, they are always going to have to think about printing something that may shed a negative light on the company as they always going to want to protect their position of getting future review samples. That alone is going to compromise the integrity of a reviewer.

I'm even more cynical than that, you look at some of these mainstream reviewers, mentioning no names some have multiple large offices employing a dozen people or more, that's tens of thousands per month.

That kind of cash does not come from Google adds and dedicated VPN software adds at the binging of the video. so where does it come from?

Soldato
Other guy that actually goes deep in to hardware is buildzoid

Proper motherboard reviews how VRM's are on given hardware ect.
PEople like me dont give a **** about... How many LED's on motherboard how many sata cables u get ect.
I want to know haw well its build how much I can push it before it fries....
Or on what motherboard memory can run Tightest timings.
Stuff like that takes actuall time to check not few hours. And going standard options in bios.
When I buy top board i actually Use mos of those extra options and dont leave it on AUTO.
Whats the point of spending extra money and staying on AUTO ??

I know that MSI's motherboards cant handle constant high overclocks... After all had to RMA my X99 3 times sold 4th one and went ASRock :D

To me I want a reviewer who does the following.

1 - Only buys products to review.
2 - Tests with "normal" hardware, not configs the real word doesnt use.
3 - Prioritises hardware thats not sent out as samples. e.g. asus prime boards instead of ROG boards, in past 2 generations asus prime (non deluxe) boards have been hideous, but largely not mentioned by the media as they have not reviewed them.
4 - Listens to feedback and does followup content based on that feedback.
5 - Tests using only release firmware/drivers. Not special review firmware/drivers.
6 - Publish "threats" or "attempts to censor" from the vendors.

Dont think such a reviewer exists tho.

Soldato
I'm even more cynical than that, you look at some of these mainstream reviewers, mentioning no names some have multiple large offices employing a dozen people or more, that's tens of thousands per month.

That kind of cash does not come from Google adds and dedicated VPN software adds at the binging of the video. so where does it come from?

indeed, a lot of these reviewers are clearly flush with cash, jay e.g. even before he moved to that office unit clearly had a nice house and car. Linus has that set of offices. A lot can afford to travel to asia to go to these hardware shows. On the other hand I do also come across youtube reviews where the authors dont appear to be flush, some have started out not flush then seem to be quickly getting cash rich even with low view counts.

Soldato
I'm still completely baffled by the fact it's officially up for pre order, the product is in stock but reviews are under NDA still and the product can't be shipped.

Never seen a launch like this.

It happens, but I agree its stupid. Embargoes are I Feel should be something that should not exist.

Caporegime
indeed, a lot of these reviewers are clearly flush with cash, jay e.g. even before he moved to that office unit clearly had a nice house and car. Linus has that set of offices. A lot can afford to travel to asia to go to these hardware shows. On the other hand I do also come across youtube reviews where the authors dont appear to be flush, some have started out not flush then seem to be quickly getting cash rich even with low view counts.

JayZ2cents is ok, tho sometimes clearly conflicted between being critical of Intel for the X299 feature cop-out and AMD for Ryzen 1 teething problems and not upsetting them too much, you can almost see that conflict playing out in his head.

He's alright.

Other than that i tend to go to lone Youtubers. some of them do buy their own stuff, Digital Foundry are good reviewers.

Back
Top Bottom