• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Permabanned
Don't let the graphs fool you as if you look at the numbers you will see how small the gains are.
Marketing types or clueless people will try and fool you so look at the actual numbers.

i.e. a 3% gain moving from 2,133 to 3,466 is not a big deal for multi-threaded loads.
Note: There are so many dubious graphs which deliberately don’t start from zero because they know they will fool those unaware of basic marketing tricks.

:confused: :D

Given that the prices of DDR4 modules are almost identical regardless of the speed being 2666 or 3200, this performance upgrade comes almost for free as a gift.
The "clueless people" definition could have been saved, :D

Caporegime
:confused: :D

Given that the prices of DDR4 modules are almost identical regardless of the speed being 2666 or 3200, this performance upgrade comes almost for free as a gift.
The "clueless people" definition could have been saved, :D

This ^^^

Galax HOF 3200Mhz CL14 16GB DDR4: £210
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gala...t-white-hof4cxlbs3200h14hd162k-my-002-kf.html
For anyone looking at a Ryzen system those are the best you can get, those or the Team Group DarkPro 8Pack but they are £230 with the same speed and timings

These are the cheapest 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz they stock, they are still good for Ryzen, just not 'as' good as the Galax ones and they are still £190, sometimes the 8Pack DarkPro kits i mentioned above are on offer for the same money.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...nnel-kit-black-grey-tdpgd416g3-my-076-tg.html

These are 'the cheapest' 16GB 2666Mhz Kit, £200, £10 more than the 3200Mhz kit above
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...hannel-kit-red-cmk16gx4m2a2666-my-454-cs.html

If anyone gives you advice based on "the cost of faster RAM to get the highest performance out of Ryzen" ignore them as they are making assumptions without knowing the facts, even the very best RAM for Ryzen costs 'literally more or less' the same as the cheapest RAM full stop.

Soldato
This ^^^

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gala...t-white-hof4cxlbs3200h14hd162k-my-002-kf.html
For anyone looking at a Ryzen system those are the best you can get, those or the Team Group DarkPro 8Pack but they are £230 with the same speed and timings

These are the cheapest 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz they stock, they are still good for Ryzen, just not 'as' good as the Galax ones and they are still £190, sometimes the 8Pack DarkPro kits i mentioned above are on offer for the same money.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...nnel-kit-black-grey-tdpgd416g3-my-076-tg.html

These are 'the cheapest' 16GB 2666Mhz Kit, £200, £10 more than the 3200Mhz kit above
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...hannel-kit-red-cmk16gx4m2a2666-my-454-cs.html

If anyone gives you advice based on "the cost of faster RAM to get the highest performance out of Ryzen" ignore them as they are making assumptions without knowing the facts, even the very best RAM for Ryzen costs 'literally more or less' the same as the cheapest RAM full stop.

Exactly. A month ago i bought 4 sticks of 8Pack dark pro to replace the 4 sticks of Hynix based dark pro i bought when i first got this AM4 rig. I paid £250 for 4 sticks of Hynix based dark pro, by the time they are sold the upgrade to 8Pack's dark pro shouldn't have costed more than £40.

Soldato
This ^^^

Assuming I was buying now for a build in... March.
The Galax HOF or the G.Skill Flare? Same price, curious which would be better.

Bit of a rock and a hard place choice if I buy 3200 now or better/faster once we know what Zen+ can handle.

Caporegime
Assuming I was buying now for a build in... March.
The Galax HOF or the G.Skill Flare? Same price, curious which would be better.

Bit of a rock and a hard place choice if I buy 3200 now or better/faster once we know what Zen+ can handle.

The ones with the "AMD compatible" sticker in them? yes, they are also CL14.

(G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX)

I think they are all the same so which ever are the cheapest.
To list the best Ryzen Kits we know of so far, by product codes.

G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX
HOF4CXLBS3200H14HD162K
TDPGD416G3

I'm sure there are more out there, anything 3200Mhz at CL14 are likely to be the platinum standard Samsung B-Die.

Its pointless going for anything else as its all as near as makes no difference the same price but the performance difference is significant.
The same goes for Intel, no point in going for low quality 2666Mhz RAM at £190 when you can get the best 3200Mhz for £210.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats why i have the 8 pack 3200. Also with ryzen having an integrated imc and future releases using the same am4 socket I am expecting faster ram speeds in future with a CPU upgrade as well.

Soldato
The ones with the "AMD compatible" sticker in them? yes, they are also CL14.

(G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX)

I think they are all the same so which ever are the cheapest.
To list the best Ryzen Kits we know of so far, by product codes.

G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX
HOF4CXLBS3200H14HD162K
TDPGD416G3

I'm sure there are more out there, anything 3200Mhz at CL14 are likely to be the platinum standard Samsung B-Die.

Its pointless going for anything else as its all as near as makes no difference the same price but the performance difference is significant.
The same goes for Intel, no point in going for low quality 2666Mhz RAM at £190 when you can get the best 3200Mhz for £210.

Just wasn't sure if there was anything in the voltages that pointed to better/worse bins of the b-die. The HOF are 1.2, the flare 1.35.

Permabanned
AMD Ryzen 2 release date, specs, and performance https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-ryzen-2-release-date-specs-performance

Vital stats

AMD Ryzen 2 release date
The second-generation of Ryzen processors, code-named Pinnacle Ridge, is going to be launched in April, just over 12 months after the first CPUs burst onto the scene.

AMD Ryzen 2 specs
It’s all about the new 12nm production process, so don’t expect any more cores, just slightly higher clockspeeds, better gaming performance, and improved efficiency.

AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 platform
Just as AMD promised, the Ryzen 2000-series chips will drop into the exact same AM4 CPU socket the first Ryzen processors, and the new Raven Ridge APUs, use. Though there will be a new set of 400-series chipsets.

AMD Ryzen 2 price
The prices of the last-gen Ryzen chips have been slashed over the last couple of months, but we don’t expect the Ryzen 2 CPUs to be significantly more expensive when they launch.

AMD Ryzen 2 performance
AMD are suggesting the process change from 14nm to 12nm will yield a 10% performance boost on its own, but clockspeed bumps and second-gen Precision Boost should offer a little more CPU performance

Caporegime
Thats all fine but i do have one issue with that, they are over-hyping it ^^^^

With the improved production process, more mature CPU architecture, and improved 400-series chipset, it’s also possible that we’ll see some improved overclocking performance from the new Ryzen 2000-series chips too. The original Ryzen processors do not offer a lot in the way of overclocking headroom, but if we can get the Ryzen 2 CPUs up around the 5GHz mark that would be something.

Not going to happen, "the improved production process" is +10% higher clock speeds, the 1800X is clocked at 3.6Ghz base, that would make the 2800X 4Ghz base.

All Ryzen CPU's overclock to around 4Ghz, some a bit less and some a bit more, the average is 4Ghz, 12nm would make Ryzen 2 average overclocking 4.4Ghz, and thats fine because a 4.4 Ryzen 5 2600 is only about 10 or 15% slower than a 5Ghz 8700K.

If Ryzen 2 does get anywhere near 5Ghz the 8700K has nothing on AMD's mid range chips, but it is not going to happen, not quite anyway, it doesn't need to ;)

Associate
If the 8core chips can reach even 4.5Ghz then they will be very good, if they can push 4.7-4.8 then the 8700k is buried totally but i doubt they will.
Even if the 6 core variants reach near that then the 8700 is in deep doodah.

Soldato
If the 8core chips can reach even 4.5Ghz then they will be very good, if they can push 4.7-4.8 then the 8700k is buried totally but i doubt they will.
Even if the 6 core variants reach near that then the 8700 is in deep doodah.

It would still be a fail even if it does 5.5Ghz uses less than 15w with a top temp of 30 deg.

because ya know, AVX512 would become so important :p

On a serious note, I wouldn't expect any more than a 4.2/3 out of the box tbh. It's a refresh .

Or are we referring to Zen 2 ?

Soldato
because ya know, AVX512 would become so important :p

Well, it is though isn't it?! If your 5.5 ghz chip is better at gaming, faster in every other way, half the price or double the cores, not from a shady assed company with horrendous business practices, it all doesn't matter in the slightest. It's all about AVX512 and how important it is for my.... for my... IT'S JUST IMPORTANT, OK?!

:D

Soldato
Well, it is though isn't it?! If your 5.5 ghz chip is better at gaming, faster in every other way, half the price or double the cores, not from a shady assed company with horrendous business practices, it all doesn't matter in the slightest. It's all about AVX512 and how important it is for my.... for my... IT'S JUST IMPORTANT, OK?!

Caporegime

lol :D

Back
Top Bottom