• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Permabanned
Mindblown!
giphy.gif

Soldato
Fair enough. Personally I can't think of any new feature that could be added to a chipset that's worth waiting for, and unless there's some crazy element in the PCI-E 4 spec that would make existing motherboards electrically incompatible, you'll get PCI-E 4 with the new CPUs. Just like Sandy and Ivy Bridge.

Soldato
Fair enough. Personally I can't think of any new feature that could be added to a chipset that's worth waiting for, and unless there's some crazy element in the PCI-E 4 spec that would make existing motherboards electrically incompatible, you'll get PCI-E 4 with the new CPUs. Just like Sandy and Ivy Bridge.

Yeah you are probably right, but I figured I'm not desperate to upgrade, so I can just put some money aside until Zen 2 comes out and do a pretty hefty upgrade :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah you are probably right, but I figured I'm not desperate to upgrade, so I can just put some money aside until Zen 2 comes out and do a pretty hefty upgrade :)
That is my plan currently. My question is do I go for 16gb or 32?

I went for 16gb on my current build over 5 years ago and in all that time only in a handful of situations have I seen it even go over 8gb usage, though I admit I don’t monitor this often.

Will probably go 16gb again and if ever needed go 32gb later.

Soldato
That is my plan currently. My question is do I go for 16gb or 32?

I went for 16gb on my current build over 5 years ago and in all that time only in a handful of situations have I seen it even go over 8gb usage, though I admit I don’t monitor this often.

Will probably go 16gb again and if ever needed go 32gb later.

I'm on 16gb too, unless ddr4 prices drop significantly in the next 6 months I'll be running 16gb again, which is plenty for me, I rarely see above 10gb usage

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm on 16gb too, unless ddr4 prices drop significantly in the next 6 months I'll be running 16gb again, which is plenty for me, I rarely see above 10gb usage
I read they will drop, but I doubt it will be significantly. Not significant enough for me to say screw it, I will go 32gb instead of 16gb anyway. Just seems like a waste of money.

Soldato
I read they will drop, but I doubt it will be significantly. Not significant enough for me to say screw it, I will go 32gb instead of 16gb anyway. Just seems like a waste of money.

It is a waste yes. Many years ago people were buying 16GB when 8GB was the norm because it was cheap enough to do so. I would rather put the money into SSD space or something though.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It is a waste yes. Many years ago people were buying 16GB when 8GB was the norm because it was cheap enough to do so. I would rather put the money into SSD space or something though.
That is exactly why I went with 16gb as it was cheap. I will put the money saved towards going nvme ssd. Will go 1tb this time as games are really getting huge. Final Fantasy 15 with 4K textures is over 150gb!

Soldato
Staying away from the train, but if that is true and representative of wider performance boosts, and they get a small clock boost as well, that'd be some nice numbers, potentially 20%+ over Zen+/Ryzen 2XXX.

If that translates to game performance boosts in CPU limited scenarios and max framerates, then Intel's lead in this area is going to slim substantially; we'll see.

130 FPS -> 156 FPS for example...
That'd pretty much be up there with the best sort of leads Intel currently get.

Would be a very fun time for us enthusiasts if theres actually a decent clock speed boost vs older generation rather than minimal boost also.

Last edited:
Soldato
6 cores is the optimal point in my view, the price premium from both vendors is too high for 8, and also intel has an added tax on top of that for power/heat.

The ryzen 2600 is way better value than a 2700x.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom