• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
Everything is speculation, it's logical to assume AMD will see some improvements, it's illogical to think they will knock Intel off the top of the performance tree with Ryzen 2.

IMO AMD should continue to offer a better price to performance ratio, this will keep them relevant - it's not the fact they produced an 8 core that made Ryzen so exciting, it's that it was priced so damn well for what you were getting - after all Intel had better 8 core chips at Ryzen launch - but they were priced and focussed at the enterprise, not the consumer - and the pre CL lineup did not look like good value compared to Ryzen on core count alone.

Competition is good for us nerds, I hope AMD can stay competitive purely to keep Intel in check with their pricing. I got a 16c32t system this year brand new for less 2k with 64gb of memory - last year that was impossible - that says it all to me really!

Ste

Ste

Soldato
1700-2 with headroom for 4.5ghz and 10% IPC gain would be sweet! Especially at similar price. I’d switch no question.

Associate
Anything that will reduce the fabric latency will be a nice boost or even just an improved process that allows Ryzens to clock higher, since the clock gap is the biggest issue right now.

Soldato
Everything is speculation, it's logical to assume AMD will see some improvements, it's illogical to think they will knock Intel off the top of the performance tree with Ryzen 2.
The details are speculation but AMD have themselves said in at least one slide that Pinnacle Ridge is expected to provide a "performance uplift". That could mean a few things though.

Anything that will reduce the fabric latency will be a nice boost or even just an improved process that allows Ryzens to clock higher, since the clock gap is the biggest issue right now.
Yep, those are the two biggest weaknesses. Reduce the performance dependency on RAM speed and improve the process to get clocks up a bit. That'd be a reasonable and solid changelist for Zen+ whilst we wait for (hopefully) better IPC, power consumption, and core count with Zen 2.

Soldato
Any update on Ryzen "2"?
Heading to the states next month and not sure to try and find an 8700k or just wait.

8700k is just Skylake v3 mate, same old tech that's over 2 years old already, with 2 extra cores slapped on.

Icelake is the next new Intel architecture, well worth waiting for that if you're on Haswell at the moment. It will have IPC increases of 5-10%, 10nm, more connectivity etc.

Soldato
No update on Ryzen 2 but Ryzen 7 1700 with 8 cores/ 16 threads is an all round better purchase than i7-8700K, if you value your money of course.
All round better implies to me it's better at everything? 1700 is only better on price. I think even with multi-threading the 8700 is better, even with 2 less cores. So I would say the better all rounder is the 8700K...at a higher price point however.

Soldato
OP
I game more than I video render. I would have gone for the 1700 (nearly did) if Intel were still only doing 4 core mainstream. But with 12 thread mainstream i7. As primarily a gamer, it makes sense to go for that. (unless Zen 2 really up's their IPC/Ghz game)

Permabanned
All round better implies to me it's better at everything? 1700 is only better on price. I think even with multi-threading the 8700 is better, even with 2 less cores. So I would say the better all rounder is the 8700K...at a higher price point however.

Ryzen 7 1700 wins on every metric except single threaded performance which is not important.
Ryzen 7 1700 is a 65W chip vs a 95W chip.
Ryzen 7 1700 has 16 threads which are way more than only 12 threads. 12 threads will show a bottleneck every often.
Ryzen 7 1700 comes with AM4 motherboards which can be upgraded in the next years with Ryzen 7 2700, 2800X, Ryzen 7 3700, 3800X.
Ryzen 7 1700 comes with unbeatable price that is 100 pounds cheaper than 8700K.
i7-8700K has a chewing gum under the lid.
i7-8700K comes with motherboards which you will throw away once you finish with that particular chip. No upgrade never.

How much more should AMD give you in order to stop supporting the evil and stupid Intel?!

Associate
Ryzen 7 1700 wins on every metric except single threaded performance which is not important.
Ryzen 7 1700 is a 65W chip vs a 95W chip.
Ryzen 7 1700 has 16 threads which are way more than only 12 threads. 12 threads will show a bottleneck every often.
Ryzen 7 1700 comes with AM4 motherboards which can be upgraded in the next years with Ryzen 7 2700, 2800X, Ryzen 7 3700, 3800X.
Ryzen 7 1700 comes with unbeatable price that is 100 pounds cheaper than 8700K.
i7-8700K has a chewing gum under the lid.
i7-8700K comes with motherboards which you will throw away once you finish with that particular chip. No upgrade never.

How much more should AMD give you in order to stop supporting the evil and stupid Intel?!
Man I bought an R7 1700 fully knowing that the 8700k was on the way and that in many current games the 7700k was the market leader.

In terms of gaming, which I'm sure most of us are doing with our PCs, Intel is still the smartest choice. Unless you are a regular upgrader then the motherboard life span is a non issue. Most people keep their PCs for a couple of years so even the AM4 will be replaced by then.

I bought AMD because I wanted one, because Coffee Lake wasn't yet available and because I just wanted to try a new thing.

Back
Top Bottom