• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Soldato
I was hoping Zen3 was going to give me a compelling reason to upgrade my 7700K, but unfortunately not at these prices. The 10700k is £80 cheaper than the 3800x, and the 10 core 10850K is only £11 more. Unless there is a ton of overclocking headroom on Zen3, there probably won't be much between them once overclocked. We'll have to wait for reviews to find out. I'm more inclined to wait a few months until rocket lake and see where everything compares then. Hopefully PSU and RAM availability will be better by then too.

same here was hoping for bang for buck 8 core but probably just hold out now , still fine with my 6700k

Associate
I'm slightly puzzled by why prices can change. If these are air shipped to the UK, then I can understand that the actual purchase from AMD could be a few days ahead of the release date and so the actual price on release day is at the mercy of what AMD charge at the time. But if they are being shipped by cargo ship, these CPUs are already purchased and out on the sea. In that case the price should be fixed. And in that case if the price is changing (upwards) it can only be because of profits. I suppose that's capitalism for you. But a distributor who set and held to the price would probably reap the reward of volume sales and reputation for return sales.

They will sell the same volume either way.

I doubt UK retailers are the one who raise the prices. As per the 3080 the price rose on the day but was uniform across all of them.

Associate
We Don't live in New Zealand though do we. An island with a population of less than 5M in the middle of nowhere and (relatively little) in the way of imports and exports.
We live in the global hub UK. In geographical Europe.

But nice point...

Global hub indeed but in another hobby I had to buy plenty of stuff from abroad, US and EU. The cost of buying from the US was always more due to fees import taxes etc. Was always a pain.

Not sure why its USD 1 = GBP 1 when buying from the states but its not just PC parts that gets affected by this.

Soldato
Global hub indeed but in another hobby I had to buy plenty of stuff from abroad, US and EU. The cost of buying from the US was always more due to fees import taxes etc. Was always a pain.

Not sure why its USD 1 = GBP 1 when buying from the states but its not just PC parts that gets affected by this.
GPU's and CPUs do not come from America!

Soldato
They will sell the same volume either way.

I doubt UK retailers are the one who raise the prices. As per the 3080 the price rose on the day but was uniform across all of them.
The 3080 price increase were uniform!??! You having a laugh? They were up on 1 card then down again 10 mins later, then up on another card, then up again on the other card, then up on a different card, then down again. If anything it was the opposite from Uniform!

Associate
same here was hoping for bang for buck 8 core but probably just hold out now , still fine with my 6700k
7700k owner here also hoping to upgrade. Currently thinking about just getting a 6 core (AMD or Intel) and riding out until DDR5 arrives. At least on a newer platform you have some options if you need some more cores in the meantime. Plus the 6700k/ 7700k re sell value will cover most of the cost of a new 6 core.

Associate
So, if these prices don't change before Nov 5th we have:

5600X - 6 cores - 32MB L3 - £290
- £48.33 per core
- £9.067 per MB of L3 cache

5800X - 8 cores - 32MB L3 - £429
- £53.62 per core
- £13.41 per MB of L3 cache

5900X - 12 cores - 64MB L3 - £530
- £44.17 per core
- £8.28 per MB of L3 cache

5950X - 16 cores - 64MB L3 - £750
- £46.88 per core
- £11.72 per MB of L3 cache

The 5800X (which was what I was originally hoping to get) looks well out of whack compared to the value of the others in the lineup. Even the flagship 3950X is significantly less per core and L3 cache.

The 5900X on the other hand looks like pretty good value. Well done AMD you might have got me to buy the next higher up....or I might just stick with my 3800X and not go with the hassle of upgrading this time.

Associate
GPU's and CPUs do not come from America!

Same applies from everywhere outside the EU., including Asia.

Like I said in my other hobby I bought from all over the world, and anywhere outside Europe incurred extra costs.

Not saying thats definitely the reason for the difference, it may just be the fact someone decided we would pay the same GBP and USD, but its always cheaper to buy from Europe. Which with Brexit may change :)

Soldato
I didnt buy the 3600 at £150 a few months back as the new gen was coming, it turned out to be new con not a new gen. Bumping the price of the old processor to £200ish and way over pricing its replacement. Sorry but £290 for a 5600 is too rich for me.

Very wise not to let AMD/retailers rip you off, the 5600 is a joke price.

Associate
I guess I shouldn't be surprised on an enthusiast forum but a lot of people moving from Zen2 to Zen3! I've always been more of a big bang upgrader. Moving from 6700K/1080 GTX to 5900X and 3080 hopefully!

Associate
I guess I shouldn't be surprised on an enthusiast forum but a lot of people moving from Zen2 to Zen3! I've always been more of a big bang upgrader. Moving from 6700K/1080 GTX to 5900X and 3080 hopefully!

Yeah most people wouldnt bother as Zen 2 is still good for a long time.

Im on an i5 4th gen so Id rather hope Ill get a big jump in performance :)

Caporegime
Out of interest why is it a joke price?

£289 vs £249 for what Id say is its intel equivalent an i5 10600k ?
Because nobody was buying the 3600X in the first place. The 3600X(T) SKUs were always a joke.

It's a bad joke now because it's the only "affordable" SKU in the new range. There is no £200 SKU or even £250.

Soldato
Because nobody was buying the 3600X in the first place. The 3600X(T) SKUs were always a joke.

It's a bad joke now because it's the only "affordable" SKU in the new range. There is no £200 SKU or even £250.
How do you know nobody was buying the 3600x have you got inside information or is it just a false statement have you got proof and if so can we see it

Back
Top Bottom