• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 2700x vs i7-8700k

Associate
Depends what your usage scenario is. I hung onto my 4770k (oc'd to 4.8ghz) and finally upgraded last August. Best upgrade I've ever made and my productivity has soared since.
to be fair you would have seen a similar upgrade going to any HEDT system, even the older ones. from a 4 core.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

to be fair you would have seen a similar upgrade going to any HEDT system, even the older ones. from a 4 core.

Yes, that's why I didn't specifically say it was TR that gave this boost, just that depending on your usage, upgrading from a 4770k is viable.

Permabanned
Imagine a 6C/12T APU with a Navi IGP!! :p

Yup, this will definitely be something very powerful for gaming.
Thanks God for the Zen architecture, it gives so many interesting options for decent configurations.
I would hope that this and next year will be when many more consumers move on to 4K because right now with the low-PPI screens, it is eyes torturing and unpleasant.

Associate
I'm playing call of duty, ripping two blu-rays and have 6 tabs open in chrome which i alt-tab to - the 6700k does ok at multi-tasking, the 8700 will ;D

i only post, because i just wanted to appreciate what I have for 5 minutes

Last edited:
Associate
I've ordered an 8700K with an Asrock Z370 Extreme 4 and 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 today, upgrading from the system in my signature. I looked at both options but Intel just seemed the way to go when considering I purely use my system for gaming and media playback.

You can argue that at 1440p/144hz I will be GPU limited but the idea here is longevity and with the single threaded advantage Intel have I can see it maintaining performance better over the course of 3-4 years. 8c/16t would be nice but seeing how long it's taken games (and only some) to really tax 4 cores I can imagine it will be a long time before 6c/12t is no longer sufficient.

Associate
At the moment with the prices of 2700x and 8700 and that you can get cheaper mobo without worrying about memory compatibility for me it's the 8700k.

Soldato
I'd love to setup one of each PC (AMD and Intel with the same GPU etc) and remove any way of telling which is which and get people to play the same game on each one to see what they actually think of each without being blinded by manufacturers or alegiance. It would be interesting to see if they could even tell which was actually faster.

(I've been AMD forever mainly due to the price and my most expensive GPU/best ever is my current 1080. :))

Caporegime
The G skill is what I see mentioned a lot in reviews but then you've got 8 Packs Team Group ram as well.

As for mobo take your pick. I like the ASUS bios so would probably stick with them if buying again.

Just curious, but didn't you have a Ryzen 1700 until recently? May I ask what made you upgrade to the 2700X and have you found it to be worthwhile? Cheers. :)

Soldato
Just curious, but didn't you have a Ryzen 1700 until recently? May I ask what made you upgrade to the 2700X and have you found it to be worthwhile? Cheers. :)

Yes. I had 1700 which I sold recently. I had it at 3.8GHz and my ram at 3066MHz for 7 months with no issues untill one day the pc just rebooted on my in game.

I got fed up. Sold my Corsair ram and bought 8 pack ram. Still couldn't get 3200MHz stable. Crashing, freezing etc.... I was close to sending the 8 pack ram back. People on here told me I had a poor IMC on my 1700.

Also the new ram had changed the voltages my cpuneeded to be stable. I was ok at 1.35v before and now it was needing 1.36v+.

I got the courier pass 3hrs prime and the ram to pass 400% in hci but it was still crashing in games.

So I sold the 1700 and bought the 2700x. Still can't get my ram stable at DOCP. It wasn't untill I asked the question on another website that some one told me to try LLC 3 on the cpu and LLC 1 on the SOC. I got some what stable. Rather than crashing every 20 mins some days I can game for hours but it will eventually freeze in game or the game will crash to descktop.

So my ram is still a work in progress.

Caporegime
Yes. I had 1700 which I sold recently. I had it at 3.8GHz and my ram at 3066MHz for 7 months with no issues untill one day the pc just rebooted on my in game.

I got fed up. Sold my Corsair ram and bought 8 pack ram. Still couldn't get 3200MHz stable. Crashing, freezing etc.... I was close to sending the 8 pack ram back. People on here told me I had a poor IMC on my 1700.

Also the new ram had changed the voltages my cpuneeded to be stable. I was ok at 1.35v before and now it was needing 1.36v+.

I got the courier pass 3hrs prime and the ram to pass 400% in hci but it was still crashing in games.

So I sold the 1700 and bought the 2700x. Still can't get my ram stable at DOCP. It wasn't untill I asked the question on another website that some one told me to try LLC 3 on the cpu and LLC 1 on the SOC. I got some what stable. Rather than crashing every 20 mins some days I can game for hours but it will eventually freeze in game or the game will crash to descktop.

So my ram is still a work in progress.

Sorry to hear about your issues, I don't envy you that. I really hope you get it sorted sooner than later. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Still waiting for Zen 2 myself. That will likely be something worth upgrading for over what I have. I hope they hit the ball out of the park with that one. If not I will have to wait for a 7nm Intel, but I doubt it will come to that. Fancy an AMD CPU anyway, been a long time since I have not had one. My first 5-6 CPU's were all AMD until the Q6600 came out.

Back
Top Bottom