• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 2700x vs i7-8700k

Caporegime
I'd love to setup one of each PC (AMD and Intel with the same GPU etc) and remove any way of telling which is which and get people to play the same game on each one to see what they actually think of each without being blinded by manufacturers or alegiance. It would be interesting to see if they could even tell which was actually faster.

(I've been AMD forever mainly due to the price and my most expensive GPU/best ever is my current 1080. :))

had this since ryzen came out doesnt matter.people will often spout sillyness.for gaming intel.on a budget multi side amd . for maximum performance with no budget intel.

gaming amd can be close in some titles and in others a modern i5 will beat the top ryzen in literally every game.mp or single.the real star people dont talk about is the new i5s. for £150 cpu you can have a cpu that bearts every ryzen in literally every game. yet they often dont get much limelight.which is odd.they will often match the 8700k aswell.which is the best mainstream gaming cpu.

Permabanned
had this since ryzen came out doesnt matter.people will often spout sillyness.for gaming intel.on a budget multi side amd . for maximum performance with no budget intel.

gaming amd can be close in some titles and in others a modern i5 will beat the top ryzen in literally every game.mp or single.the real star people dont talk about is the new i5s. for £150 cpu you can have a cpu that bearts every ryzen in literally every game. yet they often dont get much limelight.which is odd.they will often match the 8700k aswell.which is the best mainstream gaming cpu.

Not sure thats really true. Mid range 2600X beats the mid range intel in some games. Also beats 8700k in PUBG/Fortnite. Stock v Stock.

Caporegime
i dont get what you saying. i have had a ryzen system since they came out and tried 1060/1070/1080ti in it and intel systems.it is true.

pubg you must be kidding.there are numerous benchmarks videos on youtube to show how different the performance is on a intel cpu vs a amd cpu.sometimes upto 30 fps difference.

in some games across the board intel wipes the floor. you can say close maybe but intel does make the better gaming cpu.

have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOohlyJem0 and go to the gaming part. in bf1 for eg top ryzen is upto 40 fps down on a 8700k.thats not close that is massive ! even the i5 can be nearly 40 fps up on the ryzens.pugb is upto 30 fps difference.as said if you after gaming cpus. you want intel.no biased.i have both.

older pubg cpu benchmark but you can see what i mean https://www.techspot.com/article/1532-pubg-cpu-benchmarks/

there are newer videos showing the differences.just go search them.

you saying stock vs stock come on you getting a 8700k many will oc it or have turbo on. same as the i5. dont shift the goal posts.the simple truth is intel make better gaming cpus.

Associate
There's a spot in Destiny 2 where i can stand with Ryzen and drop below 60fps on a 1080ti at 1080p. Switching to an 8600k I have well over 110fps in the same area.
It would be pretty easy to notice which system was which if you know where Ryzen is weak.

Permabanned
i dont get what you saying. i have had a ryzen system since they came out and tried 1060/1070/1080ti in it and intel systems.it is true.

pubg you must be kidding.there are numerous benchmarks videos on youtube to show how different the performance is on a intel cpu vs a amd cpu.sometimes upto 30 fps difference.

in some games across the board intel wipes the floor. you can say close maybe but intel does make the better gaming cpu.

have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOohlyJem0 and go to the gaming part. in bf1 for eg top ryzen is upto 40 fps down on a 8700k.thats not close that is massive ! even the i5 can be nearly 40 fps up on the ryzens.pugb is upto 30 fps difference.as said if you after gaming cpus. you want intel.no biased.i have both.

older pubg cpu benchmark but you can see what i mean https://www.techspot.com/article/1532-pubg-cpu-benchmarks/

there are newer videos showing the differences.just go search them.

you saying stock vs stock come on you getting a 8700k many will oc it or have turbo on. same as the i5. dont shift the goal posts.the simple truth is intel make better gaming cpus.

The post I quoted from you is just not true.

"in others a modern i5 will beat the top ryzen in literally every game.mp or single."

No goal posts where changed as nobody set any. The simple truth is you are wrong.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.computerbase.de/2018-04/ryzen-2600-2700-fortnite-pubg-overwatch/2/#abschnitt_testsystem_und_spieleeinstellungen

Caporegime
lol. your own benchmark shows intel faster across the board.the lowly i5 still beats or matches the cpus you mentioning at nearly half the price.also are they ocd ? how can you even try and make out the amd option is the better gaming option ? seriously?

All 18 processors are operated with the manufacturer's specifications in other words.lets not oc the intel because amd wont compete lol.because one side cant oc much you dont punish the other side because they can. go find a normal benchmark. not one that suits. as said a i5 8400 beats the newest ryzens in 99 percent of games.or its that close you wouldnt justify spending twice as much . 8700k its a landslide.

my benchmark shows what the intel can do against what amd new ryzens can do.it shows that amd cant keep up.plain and simple.lets run a intel chip stock and do benchmark because amd chip cant oc much.so stupid when most intel chips will.tha is a key factor for many buying them.

Associate
There's a spot in Destiny 2 where i can stand with Ryzen and drop below 60fps on a 1080ti at 1080p. Switching to an 8600k I have well over 110fps in the same area.
It would be pretty easy to notice which system was which if you know where Ryzen is weak.

I had exactly the same experience in D2 with my 1700x vs 8700K. I'm guessing that's looking over the edge of the platform just after you spawn on Titan? That's the worst example I could think of, but the game in general was really distracting to play with the frame rate bouncing around so much.

Not all reviews seem to quote minimum frame rates, although that is certainly improving.

Associate
@Troezar, that's a fair point and the game may well be better optimised for Intel, or perhaps more specifically ring bus based chips, but that's not something I've checked.

However it's difficult to make a clear cut judgement. Whilst playing Destiny I went from 4790K to 1700X to 8700K. Interestingly the 1700X gave better average and max frame rates than the 4790K, but the 4790K resulted in higher minimums. The 8700K beat the other two CPUs in this game squarely. The 1700X could shine at times, but for me it's the minimum framerates that bother me the most - I accept that's something I am extra sensitive to and others may vary.

This was a pattern in many other games I tried resulting in greater framerate variance that could be quite jarring. That coupled with annoying platform issues on both my Ryzen 1 systems was what caused me to sell up and go back to an i7. As before I accept my experience with platform issues weren't typical of all Ryzen users, but I was certainly not alone. As @gavinh87 says, disparate things are important to different people. The fact that we now have a genuine choice across both vendors can only be a positive thing.

I'm in no way anti-AMD, if I was buying today it would be an incredibly tough choice as the 2700X appears an excellent buy and surpasses the 8700K in many disciplines. Ultimately it comes down to use case and how much you're willing to have to tweak your system to get the best out of it.

Soldato
@Troezar, that's a fair point and the game may well be better optimised for Intel, or perhaps more specifically ring bus based chips, but that's not something I've checked.

However it's difficult to make a clear cut judgement. Whilst playing Destiny I went from 4790K to 1700X to 8700K. Interestingly the 1700X gave better average and max frame rates than the 4790K, but the 4790K resulted in higher minimums. The 8700K beat the other two CPUs in this game squarely. The 1700X could shine at times, but for me it's the minimum framerates that bother me the most - I accept that's something I am extra sensitive to and others may vary.

This was a pattern in many other games I tried resulting in greater framerate variance that could be quite jarring. That coupled with annoying platform issues on both my Ryzen 1 systems was what caused me to sell up and go back to an i7. As before I accept my experience with platform issues weren't typical of all Ryzen users, but I was certainly not alone. As @gavinh87 says, disparate things are important to different people. The fact that we now have a genuine choice across both vendors can only be a positive thing.

I'm in no way anti-AMD, if I was buying today it would be an incredibly tough choice as the 2700X appears an excellent buy and surpasses the 8700K in many disciplines. Ultimately it comes down to use case and how much you're willing to have to tweak your system to get the best out of it.

Makes a nice change to read a reasonable post on the subject. I agree it is good to have choice and that choice isn't going to be bad whatever you choose. Rather it may be a little better in some cases and a little worse in others.

I am pro AMD as I like their philosophy of trying new ideas and pushing technology forwards. Although sometimes they get it wrong or are too far ahead of the curve, 64bit springs to mind. I had a CPU I couldn't really take advantage of add there wasn't a lot of 64bit support until Intel joined the party.

I'm not a pro gamer or a professional user so I'm glad I'll be able to choose AMD next time and not be sacrificing much. My 2500K had been fantastic but since then I've been underwhelmed by Intel's lack of drive. I understand why and that is why they are so dominant. I do think however the world is just starting to wake up and realise that squeezing every last dollar out isn't always the best thing for us as a society in the long term.

Looking forward to 2019, could be good times for all PC users :)

Associate
As mentioned in another thread, I have decided to retire my 2500k after seven years in favour of a 2700x, with a view to upgrading my 980ti later in the year. Like zola25/Troezar has said, I think Intel have been complacent, just iterating and allowed the market to stagnate for at least the last five years, where AMD have been trying to push things forward.

At 1080p the 8700k does trounce the Ryzen's, but at 1440p and above its either level or marginally in AMD's favour - where the GPU is more of a factor in any event (I use an ultra-wide at 3440x1440)

Once I have got my build set up I will be running some benchmarks of my own to just see what improvements I have got.

Soldato
As mentioned in another thread, I have decided to retire my 2500k after seven years in favour of a 2700x, with a view to upgrading my 980ti later in the year. Like zola25/Troezar has said, I think Intel have been complacent, just iterating and allowed the market to stagnate for at least the last five years, where AMD have been trying to push things forward.

At 1080p the 8700k does trounce the Ryzen's, but at 1440p and above its either level or marginally in AMD's favour - where the GPU is more of a factor in any event (I use an ultra-wide at 3440x1440)

Once I have got my build set up I will be running some benchmarks of my own to just see what improvements I have got.

Coming from a 2500k your see a huge improvement.

Soldato
I certainly hope so :)
Its a good time for anyone thinking about upgrading (GPU's aside for the time being) regardless whether its an Intel or AMD system.

Hoping for big jump when I retire my 2500K. Ideally for Zen 2 but if Intel were to smash it with an 8 core beast I wouldn't be so stubborn as to turn down a large performance difference. Which is why I ended up with a 2500K, my only Intel CPU. I couldn't afford Intel in the Athlon days!

Associate
I still dont think the 8700 will have the longevity of the 2700, thats why i would get the AM4 setup as its likely to be the better platform down the road especially when more software makes use of the threads.

Associate
Where do you stand for these fps drops, could try on 2700X :)

Load into The Rig on Titan, go to the far end of the platform where the public event spawns and look back across the map.

Destiny_2_Screenshot_2018.04.25_-_13.42.05.34.png

Destiny_2_Screenshot_2018.04.25_-_20.32.17.53.png

Associate

I play at 3440x1440p, and in specific situations the ryzen cpus just fall behind no matter the resolution. My gpu was so underutilised in the above screen shots that i had the same drops no matter the res.

Back
Top Bottom