• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7000 and 9000 see massive gains from Windows 11 24H2. Mostly.

Guy on reddit with a full AMD setup, 7800X3D+7900XTX, Results further up, Saw a lot of good results from the new windows update.

Mind you some of their results are on the low side for 23H2.

Unfortunately don't have a 7800X3D here though I've got a couple of Zen 4 based setups or a 4090 but quickly playing around I'm seeing mostly ~3% uplifts, also seems to be some increases for Intel as well though more hit and miss than on AMD. (I'm not seeing the 10-20% single thread uplift some are seeing either - more like 3-5%).

To be frank though I don't think this changes much - unless people spent 1000s to play at 1080p or below (granted some e-sports players do) the gains mostly are offset by GPU performance at 1440P high settings or above for gaming and non-gaming uplifts seem mostly in synthetic benchmarks and less reflected in real world applications. By the time GPU performance comes along which makes the difference apparent at higher resolutions all of these CPUs will be obsolete.

Last edited:
Gonna see what difference it makes on the Lenovo Legion Go - any performance increase on handhelds is welcome, but having problems with it not showing 24H2 available.

EDIT: Some people have done testing on their Legion Go - similar to what I've seen on other setups but with some bigger caveats - 30 Watt TDP people are seeing between -4% and +3% performance difference, balanced performance level people are seeing ~3% performance uplift, unfortunately in power saving modes/lower TDP seeing as much as 10-12% performance reduction.

Think I'll give it a miss for now as I mostly use mine in low power mode and seems the update screws a bit with power management according to some as well as reducing performance in that scenario.

Last edited:
Kind of funny that Microsoft are delivering better results than AMDs cpu design team managed in 2 years.
But delivering doing what? Improvements or sandbagging/bug fixing? If the latter, they definitely are at fault here for the sandbag.

Last edited:
But delivering doing what? Improvements of sandbagging/bug fixing? If the latter, they definitely are at fault here for the sandbag.
AMD spent 2 years developing a cpu that could only beat the previous CPU by 3% in gaming, MS however managed to boost performance by 8-10% for both generations.

AMD spent 2 years developing a cpu that could only beat the previous CPU by 3% in gaming, MS however managed to boost performance by 8-10% for both generations.

Not sure what the technical side of it is behind it - but Intel's Application Optimisation seems to give similar results albeit they've only bothered with it for a limited number of titles - with similar big uplifts in some of the titles which are gaining big here. So I'm guessing there is a lot of room for optimisation behind the scenes in Windows when it comes to CPU utilisation.

AMD clearly worked on server CPU, as this works very well there and indeed gives nice performance/power uplift - that is where the monies really are. Consumer market is nice to have but as with NVIDIA - just by the way. With that in mind, we got what we got, good productivity CPU, not much improvement in gaming. And it wouldn't be that bad if not for their silly marketing. :)

Wait what? Microsoft aren't reengineering AMD's chips for them, What Microsoft are doing is fixing their own crap.
I see this as the narrative being pushed that windows was broke but whose to say that MS weren’t making further software optimisations to enhance existing chips rather than fixing something that is broke.

When AMD make such optimisations it’s called fine wine and are congratulated yet MS are derided for not having these optimisations ready from the get go.

Here's some results from 5800x3d

Geekbench showed no improvement. Gears 5 a small improvement

Basically what I'm seeing from some quick and dirty testing - generally around 3% difference, maybe some bigger gains in gaming if you've got a 4090 and 7 series X3D chip, but outside of that it is small improvements.

Last edited:
I see this as the narrative being pushed that windows was broke but whose to say that MS weren’t making further software optimisations to enhance existing chips rather than fixing something that is broke.

When AMD make such optimisations it’s called fine wine and are congratulated yet MS are derided for not having these optimisations ready from the get go.

What does this have to do with Microsoft designing AMD CPU's?

I've heard mention of better use of AMD's branch prediction being the key so is it possible that the improvement lies not with Windows per se but Microsoft's compilers?

Back
Top Bottom