• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Of course, all the Asus boards are DDR 5600.

I'm sorry, Asus once were good, but now they just seem to be living off that name, all the problems Jay has had are with Asus boards, he's an Asus fan and uses nothing but, they are just not as good as they used to be, the best boards are Gigabyte.

Hmmm ? What do you mean all the Asus boards are only DDR 5600?
Are you saying it's impossible to get memory at 6000Mhz on Asus AM5 board? Even the cheap Asus boards advertise DDR 6400.

Soldato
If going for a more budget friendly B650E motherboard, will you see much / any(?) performance diff vs an x670E?

Going by AMD history, go for highest chipset.

From my experience B series motherboards couldn't support newer AMD released CPU's which the X series could or you had to wait a few weeks for the firmware to be released for the B series motherboard to support the newer AMD CPU, while the X series got it on day one.

Soldato
Of course, all the Asus boards are DDR 5600.

I'm sorry, Asus once were good, but now they just seem to be living off that name, all the problems Jay has had are with Asus boards, he's an Asus fan and uses nothing but, they are just not as good as they used to be, the best boards are Gigabyte.

I had to sent my Asus motherboard back and get the Gigabyte instead. Gave me a bunch of problems using DDR5 6000, even though the Asus motherboard did support it. Turns out I wasnt the only one having this issue with the particular model and RAM.

I always went for Asus motherboards but this has put me off. Gigabyte or MSI for me now.

Last edited:
Associate
Going by AMD history, go for highest chipset.

From my experience B series motherboards couldn't support newer AMD released CPU's which the X series could or you had to wait a few weeks for the firmware to be released for the B series motherboard to support the newer AMD CPU, while the X series got it on day one.

That's good info, thank you.

Gigabyte or MSI for me now.

What x670e would you go for to pair with these x3d CPU?

Soldato
If going for a more budget friendly B650E motherboard, will you see much / any(?) performance diff vs an x670E?

In any practical sense beyond needing the extra I/O that X670(E) can offer over B650(E) the simple answer is no. There are differences between board manufacturers, as highlighted by the HUB video posted above, but outside of benchmarks the difference between say a Gigabyte B650 Auros xyz and the X670 equivalent will be effectively nil.

Ongoing support is an interesting one as earlier AM4 boards were not initially upgraded to support the latest CPU's due to Bios size constraints (64Mb instead of 128Mb IIRC). This is why on certain boards prior to X570/B550 you will see support dropped for older 1xxx/2000 generation Ryzen cpu's as there isn't enough space on the bios chip for all the microcode required.

Associate
In any practical sense beyond needing the extra I/O that X670(E) can offer over B650(E) the simple answer is no. There are differences between board manufacturers, as highlighted by the HUB video posted above, but outside of benchmarks the difference between say a Gigabyte B650 Auros xyz and the X670 equivalent will be effectively nil.

Ongoing support is an interesting one as earlier AM4 boards were not initially upgraded to support the latest CPU's due to Bios size constraints (64Mb instead of 128Mb IIRC). This is why on certain boards prior to X570/B550 you will see support dropped for older 1xxx/2000 generation Ryzen cpu's as there isn't enough space on the bios chip for all the microcode required.

Thank you.

Soldato
Got the same board, and i've even tightened my timings and all is stable while using Curve Optimiser and PBO2 to push the 7600 to 5.3Ghz
That was the board I was looking at, but mention of issues with RAM running at 6000 got me worried.
Looking around though I see reports of Gigabyte and MSI boards having issues too.
Don't know what to do...

Soldato
That was the board I was looking at, but mention of issues with RAM running at 6000 got me worried.
Looking around though I see reports of Gigabyte and MSI boards having issues too.
Don't know what to do...

All boards have some kind of issue if you look hard enough. Mine for example won't boot if I set expo. Though I'm not prepared to try and sort it because the memory makes so little difference to anything I play.
It did work until a new bios update.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hmmm ? What do you mean all the Asus boards are only DDR 5600?
Are you saying it's impossible to get memory at 6000Mhz on Asus AM5 board? Even the cheap Asus boards advertise DDR 6400.

No not at all, i'm sure its true that Asus managed to sort it out and get 6000MT/s stable, my point is only the Asus board couldn't get 6000MT/s across the range of 3 he tested on the day.
All 3 of them also failed the VRM test with two of them running temps over 100c.
Only all the MSI and Gigabyte boards could run 6000MT/s.
The Gigabyte board had by far the fastest windows boot times.

The Asus board's all pretty much failed all of these tests, and they were the most expensive boards.

Ok so maybe Asus just don't make good low end boards, Jay buys nothing but the most expensive Asus boards, he's had nothing but trouble with them, granted Jay is not the sharpest knife in the draw, Reddit is also full of people with Asus motherboard issues, including critical reliability issues.

If i'm going to recomend a motherboard to anyone at any price range its Gigabyte. i wouldn't recomend Asus if they were the last thing on sale.

Last edited:
Associate
@humbug where was this test with the 3 Asus boards failing at 6000M/T ?
This was the board I was looking at;
Guru3D didn't have any issue hitting 6000M/T, and VRM thermals were around mid 30's, nowhere near 100c!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom