• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally I went for a X670-E @£315, which is about £90 more than I paid for a good quality X570 AM4

Is it over priced, yeah personally I feel it is £250 is where it should be imho and I rationalise getting it (rightly or wrongly) cos:
- You get more features, it is a better solution vs AM4
- Yes it probably is more expensive to make
- add a bit for inflationary pressures
- X670 will hopefully last at least 2 further CPU generations
- mostly though whilst I could drop in a good value 5800x3D into AM4 that is sunk money on a EoL platform you'd then have to wait up to 4yrs for that to pay off
- there isn't a lot of choice in the matter
- £90 is a trivial sum compared to the GPU component prices
The big problem is when that gets added onto cheaper motherboards too. The A620 is starting at the same price as B550 motherboards. You basically lose overclocking, gain no new PCI-E speed,etc. Looking at what I paid for my AM4 motherboard, the B650E equivalent is over twice what I paid(£165 more) and £100+ more than the B550 motherboards at the time. But Intel seems less affected than AMD. Then you have essentially 50 series cards from Nvidia being bumped upto 60 series tiers, etc. Almost the entirety of my mates(we tend to be more normal mainstream tier buyers), have looked at the pricing and decided not to bother. No wonder cpu and gpu sales are not great.

Yet if you look at prebuilt systems, you can still buy them for cheaper than buying the parts from a store. Lots of other electronics are getting cheaper or have not increased anywhere as much. It seems these companies are taking the mickey with gamers and retailers. These companies still think they can charge pandemic/mining pricing and are in denial the gravy train is over. People could spend more at the time as they were stuck at home. Now people are going back to doing other things with their disposable income.
Interest rates are at their highest for a decade and the global money printer is slowly being turned off, so a lot of people who use credit to buy things will be cutting back too. We all know how much consumer spending in the west is driven by cheap credit. Maybe they need to cut their coat according to their cloth. Instead they already ordered the leather jacket, without even knowing if they can afford the leather,but speculate they could.

Last edited:
X670e is solid for a 5 year PCI, given the inclusion of PCI express 5 GPU slot and PCI 5 NVME, likewise the b550e. Combined with the fact we can upgrade cpus to help free bottlenecks bought forth by faster GPUs. Intels still at it with their disposable motherboards....

When I opened the B650E-E box and got the board out, the first thing I noticed was how heavy the thing is, at lease 2x heavier than the X370 Hero it replaced. Even after removing the m.2 heatsinks. This board has better features than a top end last gen X570 and costs about the same. If the name was X670E it would probably be considered ok value but the B650 name is expected to be much less.
Also, board makers know they will have to support the things much longer than an Intel version. They probably just added £100-150 to everything to cover the extra support and say **** you to AMD for not changing socket every gen.

It's kind of funny how many people thought they released the 7950x3d early to try and upsell people to it instead of the 7800x3d, which to be fair I understand why everyone thought that. Instead it feels like it's not actually going to be remotely available until after the 7800x3d is out anyway. They must really have not had many to ship out.

It's kind of funny how many people thought they released the 7950x3d early to try and upsell people to it instead of the 7800x3d, which to be fair I understand why everyone thought that. Instead it feels like it's not actually going to be remotely available until after the 7800x3d is out anyway. They must really have not had many to ship out.
Yeah, but when will the 7800X3D actually be available in any decent numbers?

When I opened the B650E-E box and got the board out, the first thing I noticed was how heavy the thing is, at lease 2x heavier than the X370 Hero it replaced. Even after removing the m.2 heatsinks. This board has better features than a top end last gen X570 and costs about the same. If the name was X670E it would probably be considered ok value but the B650 name is expected to be much less.
Also, board makers know they will have to support the things much longer than an Intel version. They probably just added £100-150 to everything to cover the extra support and say **** you to AMD for not changing socket every gen.
I'm currently trying to decide between a X670E-F and a B650E-E. They seem very close spec-wise but they're also very close price-wise, which both makes it matter less but also makes it harder to choose.

Yeah, but when will the 7800X3D actually be available in any decent numbers?
Who knows! You'd hope they'd have known it was more popular and prepped more but I'm not super hopeful.

It's hard to judge when you've got the 7900x3d in seemingly okay supply. It's less popular but If you look at say the German shop reports one of which was posted on the last page they seemed to have sold quite a lot over the past month it's been out. Where as the 7950x3d wasn't even listed on any they got sent so few. I guess the question is what's causing the differences in supply, whether it's yield, them underestimating sales, or whatever else and whether it's going to apply to the 7800x3d too.

I'm inclined to think the 7900X3D is in stock and selling because the 7950X3D stock was obliterated and continues to be wiped out when restocked.

So if you're shopping for X3D and have a choice of the 7900X3D or nothing there's only one possible sale that could be made.

I'm inclined to think the 7900X3D is in stock and selling because the 7950X3D stock was obliterated and continues to be wiped out when restocked.

So if you're shopping for X3D and have a choice of the 7900X3D or nothing there's only one possible sale that could be made.
Well yeah, that's definitely a possibility and maybe that was their real play, haha. That said the numbers sold speak for themselves from that one retailer in terms of how many of each amd seemingly shipped to them. Basically non-existent for the 7950 but a solid amount for the 7900.

I thought the figures on the prev page were interesting in terms of sales. You'd have to be really keen on performance to want to change from AM3 to AM4 at this stage really given the enormous cost of the motherboards and ram on top of the cpu which I suppose is reflected in the numbers being sold.

Would the VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 AMD EXPO Memory RAM with CL30 timings be ideal for a 7950X3D? I read that 6000mhz CL30/32 is the sweet spot for AM5?

[...] the 7950X3D stock was obliterated and continues to be wiped out when restocked.

Have there actually been any re-stocks/shipments to customers after launch day?
I managed to get an order with a competitor on launch day at RRP, just to be told that I'd get served with the first re-stock this week.
Now they say that the re-stock won't happen until April and I'm a bit concerned that they are first serving the customers who ordered since they increased the price by £50.

Last edited:
The other issue I'm having with AM5 is the seemingly quite blurry line between X670 and B650 at similar price points. Maybe B650 is too good.

The A620/B650/B650E/X670 use the same Promontory 21 chipset. AMD just locked down features(apparently later A620 will use the Promontory 22).The X670E uses a pair of them. Supposedly the pair of Promontory 21 chipsets in the X670E cost less than the repurposed I/O die used in the X570. If Intel did this they would get into deep trouble on here!

Last edited:
Have there actually been any re-stocks/shipments to customers after launch day?
I managed to get an order with a competitor on launch day at RRP, just to be told that I'd get served with the first re-stock this week.
Now they say that the re-stock won't happen until April and I'm a bit concerned that they are first serving the customers who ordered since they increased the price by £50.
Still scalping like it's 2020/21/22 then? It is possible

Still scalping like it's 2020/21/22 then? It is possible

I am still waiting for the $130 B650 motherboards which were mentioned at launch,but now AMD seems to think the A620 can hit the even lower $125 price point:

So AMD and its motherboard partners already prescalped the motherboard prices. The B650 at $130 was way too cheap....you can have an A620 for the same price! :cry: Just like they prescalped the RX78...sorry RX7900XT at $900!

Last edited:
I am still waiting for the $130 B650 motherboards which were mentioned at launch,but now AMD it seems the A620 can hit the even lower $125 price point.
Strictly I was talking about retailer scalping not manufacturer's pre-scalped for your convenience™ stuff.

Also sold as, do you want the retailer/distributor/shady person on facemarket to profit from scalping, or would you rather that your favourite corporation did?

After all they could then re-invest that into R&D; well after they've paid themselves, given dividends, spend it on bad acquisitions and similar.

Back
Top Bottom