• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Possibly windows running something in the background at same time

Just having the forum open will add .100s to the result, if it was doing something mildly intensice for those 10 seconds then it will effect it.
I don't have anything open in background and have most services disabled etc.

This definitely isn't right, I try to reproduce these spikes by having YouTube open and even that doesn't make it go no where this high, actually it barely makes a difference having YouTube open, to the point that I can't notice it at all because it spikes in smaller ranges 30-100 on it's own anyway

Last edited:
You cant stop all processes in Windows, its an outlier - you would need more proof than 1 bad run to call degradation on a cpu.

Wouldn't worry about it myself.
Oh I have many many runs, I have been dealing with this for over a week but didn't think it would be degradation so I was trying everything to make it stop.
One guy in another forum had same thing with his first CPU and now he says hes super consistent on his 2nd CPU

I reported a few pages back that my machine wasn't shutting down properly in around 1 in 10 restarts. Windows closed, screen goes blank but machine stays on.

Well I think I have resolved the issue. I think I may have overtightened my cpu block. I have reduced the mounting pressure and the pc is closing down properly for the past 20-30 restarts.

I reported a few pages back that my machine wasn't shutting down properly in around 1 in 10 restarts. Windows closed, screen goes blank but machine stays on.

Well I think I have resolved the issue. I think I may have overtightened my cpu block. I have reduced the mounting pressure and the pc is closing down properly for the past 20-30 restarts.

Nice.

Definitely one for the trouble shooting data bank.

:S doesn't sound great that it's possible to overtighten the block and this has an effect. what block is it?

:S doesn't sound great that it's possible to overtighten the block and this has an effect. what block is it?
To be fair I've heard that's a thing with a few coolers on the AM5 platform. I guess it's a hold over from them making AM4 coolers compatible with AM5. Apparently that thermalright replacement socket frame can help.

To be fair I've heard that's a thing with a few coolers on the AM5 platform. I guess it's a hold over from them making AM4 coolers compatible with AM5. Apparently that thermalright replacement socket frame can help.
they're 'supposed' to be the same layout and same 'stack height'. is it a known problem for coolers that use(d) the stock AM4/AM5 frame, or just those that use(d) custom frames on AM4? i have a raystorm edge that is supposed to be AM5 compatible.

Last edited:
they're 'supposed' to be the same layout and same 'stack height'. is it a known problem for coolers that use(d) the stock AM4/AM5 frame, or just those that use(d) custom frames on AM4? i have a raystorm edge that is supposed to be AM5 compatible.

Stock frame. I read some things about it even wiht the cooler I use (NH-D15) which uses the stock frame just a differen't mount that Noctua suggests installing it not too tight on AM5 compared to what you did for AM4, and some people mentioning having issues if it was too tight.

It is EK magnitude. Usually I never overly tighten screws, then one night I randomly thought I'd tighten them more to see. I then completely forgot and didn't realise it could be related when my shutdown issue started happening.
Then during troubleshooting, I suddenly remembered that I had experimented, released some of the block pressure and not had the shutdown issue since.

It is EK magnitude. Usually I never overly tighten screws, then one night I randomly thought I'd tighten them more to see. I then completely forgot and didn't realise it could be related when my shutdown issue started happening.
Then during troubleshooting, I suddenly remembered that I had experimented, released some of the block pressure and not had the shutdown issue since.
Maybe this why the AM5 Velocity 2`s have been designed differently, it says in the installation manual that you can`t overtighten them, you wind the screws until they stop and thats it.

Maybe this why the AM5 Velocity 2`s have been designed differently, it says in the installation manual that you can`t overtighten them, you wind the screws until they stop and thats it.
Yeah i was trying to read the magnitude manual... it has springs but it's not clear whether they are providing the mounting pressure or not, or whether they are more to provide some tension to stop the screws backing out.

Yeah i was trying to read the magnitude manual... it has springs but it's not clear whether they are providing the mounting pressure or not, or whether they are more to provide some tension to stop the screws backing out.
I installed my 7800X3D with a new 360mm AIO from EK which also had springs that had to be used with the mounting screws. I never overtighten either.

I don't want my comment around block pressure to put people off. My issue was self imposed. I would never usually force tighten the screws like I did, i just got curious, and experimented then forgot a few days later. I'm never likely to do it by accident, and I'm sure that's the same for most others.
For the magnitude the springs provide the pressure, I just screwed them until I suspect the springs were fully compressed + a half turn :D

Seems like the right thread to ask in... I'm currently working out where my 7800X3D will go with regards to curve optimiser and frequencies under maximum (Linpack) load.

It ran about 4600mhz on defaults, but with -20mv it's now 4700 under the same stress test. No matter what I do, total package power hovers around 100-102 watts and temperature sits at 78-78.8 degrees, which I assume is throttling in action. This is using a Peerless Assassin SE with the fans about capped at 60% (extremely quiet!) in a Fractal North. Airflow is gentle but uninterrupted and raising the fan speed only seems to make a difference to noise and nothing else. The uefi tells me the "cooling score" is 157... (I was hoping for 9000+ obviously).

Wondering if I can expect to get much more out of it if I keep tinkering, or is this probably about as fast as it's going to go with an air cooler? Not that I'm disappointed at all, this thing is running 120w less than my 8700k, is quieter at load than the Intel was on idle, and is so quiet on idle that I only know it's on because it has an RGB fan. Mostly I just have the kind of brain that enjoys optimising stuff, so if there's places I can tackle to have it find another 100mhz then I'm instinctively interested even if it won't make any noticeable difference :cry:

I'll answer my own question! It failed Linkpack after 3 loops at -30. It's survived 10 hours at -27, has upped it's load clocks to ~4750, and stayed under 78 degrees the whole time. Total gains of about 5% vs out of the box, which isn't a lot, but it's also not nothing.

Then failed Prime 95 within 2 minutes :cry: I guess I'll start adding some back and see where it ends up.

Edit: sadly failing Prime at -22 also. Oh well, keep going up until it passes I guess. Weird that Linpack would run all day then Prime can't do 30 mins...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom