• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Generically vague question, but what VSOC are people running for 6000MHz RAM? I don't seem to get proper stability with my 7900X with 32gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum 6000mhz with Expo turned on CMT32GX5M2D6000Z36.

Lose stability very quickly (still boots and works for a while then black screens) with anything under around 1.265V

Measuring in HWINFO: CPU VDDCR_SOC Voltage (SVI3 TFN)

Motherboard reading is usually around 0.050V above (at max) so just over 1.3V

I seem to have to manually increase the VSOC after applying EXPO settings that set it at 1.250V

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like the 7800X3D is selling well atm. They're out of stock in a few places.

And a certain well known online retailer has just put the price of the 7800X3D UP, probably so that they can show a big discount percentage on the 10th October when they have their sale on. :eek: I'm pretty sure that's illegal :confused:

Associate
Generically vague question, but what VSOC are people running for 6000MHz RAM? I don't seem to get proper stability with my 7900X with 32gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum 6000mhz with Expo turned on CMT32GX5M2D6000Z36.

Lose stability very quickly (still boots and works for a while then black screens) with anything under around 1.265V

I seem to have to manually increase the VSOC after applying EXPO settings that set it at 1.250V
I’m running VSOC at 1.2. That’s with 6000 CL28 with very tight timings.

Soldato

All chips will be different but mine with similar memory timings was 1.1 volts. I would always manual set VSOC, that seems on the high side. Try 1.1 - 1.2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, just so happens that I've recently seen that HWU video, but I've also recently seen this video which also mentions this board.

I'll likely pair it with this set of RAM, an AMD EXPO 6000CL30 kit, which is said to be Micron A die. Hopefully some leeway to overclock it a bit, for faster timings, if not the EXPO setting will do.

I'll probably do a full fresh new build, except the GPU. Might take reinstall the dying 980ti on my current build so I can swap out and use the 970, though 7800X3D does have built in graphics, so I could output to a monitor without a GPU. Gunna wait a bit till payday before I start buying up the parts, bit by bit.

Now my only issue is where to put my current PC, still going strong. Will eventually plan on turning it into a storage NAS or something.
That memory kit should be Hynix A-Die. At 6000 memory timings make very little difference really. Having a good negative CO will show the biggest gains.

Associate
All chips will be different but mine with similar memory timings was 1.1 volts. I would always manual set VSOC, that seems on the high side. Try 1.1 - 1.2.
Thanks for the advice. As it doesn't seem stable at stock VSOC and bumping it up slightly seems to be stable, I thought reducing it might not work.

I hadn't yet tried changing any other of the voltages. I just thought I would try one that I heard may improve stability and I have a 'safe' 1.3V ceiling of.

I am not massively confident with inputting manual settings for the timings etc. especially with the weirdness of these bios.

I wonder what the easiest way to just get 6000MHz with 'stock' timings and whatever voltages it needs for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the advice. As it doesn't seem stable at stock VSOC and bumping it up slightly seems to be stable, I thought reducing it might not work.

I hadn't yet tried changing any other of the voltages. I just thought I would try one that I heard may improve stability and I have a 'safe' 1.3V ceiling of.

I am not massively confident with inputting manual settings for the timings etc. especially with the weirdness of these bios.

I wonder what the easiest way to just get 6000MHz with 'stock' timings and whatever voltages it needs for that.
With the EXPO settings at C36 you should not need more than 1.35 volts for the ram and 1.2 for VSOC.
I am running 6000 C30 with tight sub timings and only need 1.30 volts for the ram and 1.1 for VSO.
I would set EXPO and use 1.35 and 1.2 and drop the Frequency of the ram to 5600 and see if you have stability. If you don’t then you have an issue with the ram. Use MemTest5 to check stability.

I’m assuming you are not using curve optimiser? If you are then this will be your issue.

Caporegime
With the EXPO settings at C36 you should not need more than 1.35 volts for the ram and 1.2 for VSOC.
I am running 6000 C30 with tight sub timings and only need 1.30 volts for the ram and 1.1 for VSO.
I would set EXPO and use 1.35 and 1.2 and drop the Frequency of the ram to 5600 and see if you have stability. If you don’t then you have an issue with the ram. Use MemTest5 to check stability.

I’m assuming you are not using curve optimiser? If you are then this will be your issue.
The part highlighted in bold is not true with regards to SOC voltage requirements. No two CPU samples are the same, some may need up to or beyond 1.25v, some can get by with as little as 1.15v or even less, such as mine and yours. Up to 1.3v is perfectly safe btw, so it's better to have too much than not enough. Auto board values should pick somewhere between 1.25v and 1.3v.

Last edited:
Associate
The part highlighted in bold is not true with regards to SOC voltage requirements. No two CPU samples are the same, some may need up to or beyond 1.25v, some can get by with as little as 1.15v or even less, such as mine and yours. Up to 1.3v is perfectly safe btw, so it's better to have too much than not enough. Auto board values should pick somewhere between 1.25v and 1.3v.

Thanks both for the replies. Just spending some time this afternoon reading up about it and also making myself more paranoid! :cry:

The main issue seems to be that I set EXPO 6000Mhz that sets 1.250V SOC (auto) and that seems to crash very quickly in Windows. Whereas, bumping that up a small amount seems stable. The RAM is not on the QVL but would have thought it would run EXPO without further changes.

I have not yet gone the other way and reduce VSOC and/or memory clock. That's a good point, I probably should have done that first.

I think I am just too stubborn to quit getting stable 6000Mhz under 1.3V at HWINFO: CPU VDDCR_SOC Voltage (SVI3 TFN)

Not sure why I picked VSOC to change, I honestly don't really know what I am doing, but I have read up as much as I can!

Not using curve optimiser. I literally wanted to just set and forget with EXPO.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks both for the replies. Just spending some time this afternoon reading up about it and also making myself more paranoid! :cry:

The main issue seems to be that I set EXPO 6000Mhz that sets 1.250V SOC (auto) and that seems to crash very quickly in Windows. Whereas, bumping that up a small amount seems stable. The RAM is not on the QVL but would have thought it would run EXPO without further changes.

I have not yet gone the other way and reduce VSOC and/or memory clock. That's a good point, I probably should have done that first.

I think I am just too stubborn to quit getting stable 6000Mhz under 1.3V at HWINFO: CPU VDDCR_SOC Voltage (SVI3 TFN)

Not sure why I picked VSOC to change, I honestly don't really know what I am doing, but I have read up as much as I can!

Not using curve optimiser. I literally wanted to just set and forget with EXPO.
Are you using the latest BIOS for your board? If not, update and see if it's stable at all stock settings.

How much memory have you got installed and how many DIMMs?

When you apply XMP, the board should add voltage to the memory and SOC. You should verify that the memory is running at the correct voltage, presumably 1.35v. It wouldn't hurt to try the memory at 1.375v either, not the first time I've seen XMP sticks need a little bump to voltage, usually because the board provides less than 1.35v.

If increasing SOC voltage adds stability, then you should do that. 1.275v or even up to 1.3v, both are perfectly safe. Don't try and copy other peoples settings for voltages as it often won't work.

I'd be surprised if lower SOC made the system stable, but by all means try it if you want. :p

Associate
Are you using the latest BIOS for your board? If not, update and see if it's stable at all stock settings.

How much memory have you got installed and how many DIMMs?

When you apply XMP, the board should add voltage to the memory and SOC. You should verify that the memory is running at the correct voltage, presumably 1.35v. It wouldn't hurt to try the memory at 1.375v either, not the first time I've seen XMP sticks need a little bump to voltage, usually because the board provides less than 1.35v.

If increasing SOC voltage adds stability, then you should do that. 1.275v or even up to 1.3v, both are perfectly safe. Don't try and copy other peoples settings for voltages as it often won't work.

I'd be surprised if lower SOC made the system stable, but by all means try it if you want. :p
I actually found that I was even more unstable with the newest bios, actually even at stock settings! So I flashed back to a previous one.

Just 2 DIMMs in dual channel in the correct slots.

When I apply EXPO (from bios default) on boot it usually trains for a while (not too long) and always shows 1.250V in the AMD overclocking menu. Main memory voltage is definitely at 1.35.

Soldato
Not sure I would agree with “Better to have too much”. I think that was the ASUS approach :)
I think the bottom line is to try changing ONE value and see if that affects stability. If it doesn’t set to a safe value and work on the next. Don’t change to many values at once.

Caporegime
Not sure I would agree with “Better to have too much”. I think that was the ASUS approach :)
I think the bottom line is to try changing ONE value and see if that affects stability. If it doesn’t set to a safe value and work on the next. Don’t change to many values at once.
1.3v is perfectly safe though, and he already mentioned that more added stability. Sure go ahead, try making it less stable by lowering voltage further. :cry:

Associate
I agree with both @The Asgard and @LtMatt but I was planning not to make any massive bios changes and I have already been in the bios more than I have been gaming!

I can't stop myself tinkering with it now though. I used to love basic overclocking and getting things stable and testing, but I got so tired of that recently.

I am sure I could spend a fair while getting voltages lower and dialed in if I really went at it for a while. That may mean compromising settings though, who knows.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with both @The Asgard and @LtMatt but I was planning not to make any massive bios changes and I have already been in the bios more than I have been gaming!

I can't stop myself tinkering with it now though. I used to love basic overclocking and getting things stable and testing, but I got so tired of that recently.

I am sure I could spend a fair while getting voltages lower and dialed in if I really went at it for a while. That may mean compromising settings though, who knows.
According to my testing with Cinebench R23/R24 your not loosing much with memory setting at 6000. I think the key is to get a stable system and work from there. With memory if you manual set the settings on the back of the ram, set the recommended voltage and frequency you should be good if everything else is on auto. This should give you a stable system. Make sure your on the latest bios. If you can’t get stability this could indicate an issue. This is my start position, make a note of the auto voltages and work from there, if you like playing.

Associate

Todays cpu technology are diminishing returns on manual oc really.
I just set ram to buildzoids timing and then never touch bios unless a bios update.

atm I await zen5

Associate
Todays cpu technology are diminishing returns on manual oc really.
I just set ram to buildzoids timing and then never touch bios unless a bios update.

atm I await zen5
That was my original plan, but it seemed the bios needed more manual tuning than I was originally expecting to run EXPO.

This has sent me back down the rabbit hole of changing a hundred and one settings.

I had completely ignored curve optimizer, but now I am sort of stable I decided I may as well give that a go as I have been tinkering so much.

What can I say, massively impressed with it. Still needs lots of checking but I have come down almost 0.080V which doesn't seem like much but actually made a massive difference to power and temps.

Currently checking a -25 negative CO setting all core as -20 didn't seem to be having that many issues in stress and idle. Will see how it goes.

Actually good to be able to use my system for a change after messing with it so much, so I might not push it any further!

Seems I may have got poor IMC and possibly fair silicon.

Found out I actually have Samsung memory, so didn't bother with Buildzoids settings. That guide looks fantastic for those with Hynix memory!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom