• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
That was my original plan, but it seemed the bios needed more manual tuning than I was originally expecting to run EXPO.

This has sent me back down the rabbit hole of changing a hundred and one settings.

I had completely ignored curve optimizer, but now I am sort of stable I decided I may as well give that a go as I have been tinkering so much.

What can I say, massively impressed with it. Still needs lots of checking but I have come down almost 0.080V which doesn't seem like much but actually made a massive difference to power and temps.

Currently checking a -25 negative CO setting all core as -20 didn't seem to be having that many issues in stress and idle. Will see how it goes.

Actually good to be able to use my system for a change after messing with it so much, so I might not push it any further!

Seems I may have got poor IMC and possibly fair silicon.

Found out I actually have Samsung memory, so didn't bother with Buildzoids settings. That guide looks fantastic for those with Hynix memory!
Yeah, Samsung memory sucks this time around, unlike in the DDR4 era when they were kings and Hynix sucked. The roles have reversed for DDR5. :D

Soldato
I've just done my upgrade from:

5800X3D, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII X570, 32GB (2x16GB) GSKill 3600 CL14 and a Radeon 6900XT

to

7800X3D, Asus Rog Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi, 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair 6000 CL30 and an Nvidia 4070Ti

Feels really smart. I've got a huge improvement in FS2020, which was my main goal. All I've done is latest bios and set the ram to EXPO I. I guess there is more tuning and settings worth considering (EG Resizable BAR etc)

Soldato
I upgraded two weeks ago from a 6700k 16gbddr4, evga 1080 to what I have in my signature and I'm blown away with the performance difference. I've always upgraded nearly every 2 generations and only seen a small difference. This gap I've has had really highlighted to me that I should really look to see if the upgrade is worth it.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve been playing the Modern Warfare Beta and my 7950x3d won’t use the 3d cache, it’s running on the frequency only. I’ve checked “remember this is a game” but still not working. Anyone else had this issue? @LtMatt Any ideas?

Soldato
I’ve been playing the Modern Warfare Beta and my 7950x3d won’t use the 3d cache, it’s running on the frequency only. I’ve checked “remember this is a game” but still not working. Anyone else had this issue? @LtMatt Any ideas?
Sorry for stupidity... what do you mean it isn't using it?

Do I need to do something to make FS2020 use it (as an example !)

Soldato
Sorry for stupidity... what do you mean it isn't using it?

Do I need to do something to make FS2020 use it (as an example !)
The 7950X3D has two CCDs one with the 3D cache and the other without and so some games will perform better using the cache CCD and others using the non cache (it runs higher clockspeed).

For the 7800X3D it does not matter since there is only one CCD. :)

Caporegime
@LtMatt what do I need for mem and mobo for 7800x3d? if cheap, can see about picking it up in the US. Just basic tuning for daily.
Asus board and any DDR5 kit that uses Hynix. 32GB kits are easiest for tuning up to 8000Mhz and beyond. GSkill 6000C30 EXPO kits are normally Hynix, not sure about others.
  1. Launch MW3.
  2. Bring up Game Bar (Win Key + G)
  3. Tick Remmeber this is a game.
  4. Restart game.
  5. Done.
MW3 is a beta so it doesn't have a profile via game bar yet, so by default it will use the frequency CCD until you make this change. As with any game regardless of which CCD it uses, if CPU utilisation gets high enough, both CCDs will get used which is good as it gives more performance. MW3 does run slightly faster on the cache CCD, but it will runs fast on the frequency CCD according to my testing.

Just to clarify, I did the above and it works for me. Using the Windows Balanced Power Profile.

Last edited:
Associate
I need some input guys.

Just built a 7950x3D system. Running an ASUS B650E-I ITX board.

I'm debating whether I should return the chip and try for a better one.
If I set a CO offset of more than -2 or -3 the system crashes when Windows starts every time. And the CPU won't boost past 5.3ghz on any thread if the temp exceeds 50-55c.

Just wondering how common this behavior is. Did I just roll a critical fail on my silicon lottery check?
It's really disappointing because this ITX build would benefit greatly from undervolting.

Last edited:
Associate
Asus board and any DDR5 kit that uses Hynix. 32GB kits are easiest for tuning up to 8000Mhz and beyond. GSkill 6000C30 EXPO kits are normally Hynix, not sure about others.

1. Launch MW3.
  2. Bring up Game Bar (Win Key + G)
  3. Tick Remmeber this is a game.
  4. Restart game.
  5. Done.
MW3 is a beta so it doesn't have a profile via game bar yet, so by default it will use the frequency CCD until you make this change. As with any game regardless of which CCD it uses, if CPU utilisation gets high enough, both CCDs will get used which is good as it gives more performance. MW3 does run slightly faster on the cache CCD, but it will runs fast on the frequency CCD according to my testing.

Just to clarify, I did the above and it works for me. Using the Windows Balanced Power Profile.
What had me worried was every time I selected “remember this is a game” it would immediately untick, and when restarting it wasn’t working. I figured out that I had to close everything completely including steam and restart for the box to stay ticked then restart again and the correct CCD was being used.

It’s certainly a beta thing. The full release will be fine I’m sure of it.

Associate
I need some input guys.

Just built a 7950x3D system. Running an ASUS B650E-I ITX board.

I'm debating whether I should return the chip and try for a better one.
If I set a CO offset of more than -2 or -3 the system crashes when Windows starts every time. And the CPU won't boost past 5.3ghz on any thread if the temp exceeds 50-55c.

Just wondering how common this behavior is. Did I just roll a critical fail on my silicon lottery check?
It's really disappointing because this ITX build would benefit greatly from undervolting.
When you say you set CO more than -2 or -3 do you mean all cores? If this is the case some of your cores especially on the frequency CCD might not be stable and might need less, but all others will most probably go a bit higher. I found the frequency CCD was much lower than the cache CCD and one was at -2.

Is it fine at stock? If so I can almost guarantee this is the issue and you will need to find out what core\cores are the culprit.

Caporegime
What had me worried was every time I selected “remember this is a game” it would immediately untick, and when restarting it wasn’t working. I figured out that I had to close everything completely including steam and restart for the box to stay ticked then restart again and the correct CCD was being used.

It’s certainly a beta thing. The full release will be fine I’m sure of it.
Interesting. I'm using Battle.net and didn't need to do that, just restart the game. Could be a quirk and perhaps Steam overlay could be interfering too. Glad you sorted it. :)

Associate
Interesting. I'm using Battle.net and didn't need to do that, just restart the game. Could be a quirk and perhaps Steam overlay could be interfering too. Glad you sorted it. :)
Yes it could well be a Steam problem. I’m going to purchase MW3 on Battle.net this time though, its apparently had better performance compared to Steam.

Associate
When you say you set CO more than -2 or -3 do you mean all cores? If this is the case some of your cores especially on the frequency CCD might not be stable and might need less, but all others will most probably go a bit higher. I found the frequency CCD was much lower than the cache CCD and one was at -2.
Is it fine at stock? If so I can almost guarantee this is the issue and you will need to find out what core\cores are the culprit.

Yup, looks like you were right. I'm running y-cruncher right now with a -10 CO on the first CCD only. Thanks for the info! I was under the impression the V-cache CCD was generally harder to undervolt.

But, regarding the other question, I'm very curious to know if the boost behavior I'm seeing is normal. When nothing is running I'll see cores go to 5.7ghz, but as soon as there's any load at all, and the CPU goes above 50c, not a single thread will exceed 5.3ghz.
Does your chip do the same thing? I just don't understand what's limiting the clocks.

Last edited:
Associate
Been messing with curve optimizer the last week or so. I just presumed it would probably crash as soon as I touched it. I tried -20 negative all core, then -25 now -30.

I have done a few stress tests, but I don't have the patience to dial in a per core undervolt and I just want to see if it stays stable in basic applications and loads of different games.

Have not seen any crashes yet but have no idea if it is actually stable or not. Seems fine so far and the voltage has come down loads. I saw it get to about 0.516V idle and it's not going over 1.440v max now. In games it's more like high 1.2xx low 1.3xx

Getting greedy to try more until it crashes but will probably leave it there for now. Cinebench R20 and R23 and 2024 scores just keep going up and up.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, looks like you were right. I'm running y-cruncher right now with a -10 CO on the first CCD only. Thanks for the info! I was under the impression the V-cache CCD was generally harder to undervolt.

But, regarding the other question, I'm very curious to know if the boost behavior I'm seeing is normal. When nothing is running I'll see cores go to 5.7ghz, but as soon as there's any load at all, and the CPU goes above 50c, not a single thread will exceed 5.3ghz.
Does your chip do the same thing? I just don't understand what's limiting the clocks.
I’m glad you have that part sorted now.

In terms of the boost behaviour, always check your effective clocks via HWINFO which will give an accurate reading of what’s going on.

You can try a stress test such as OCCT to verify your CPU is reaching the clock speeds that you would expect. It all sounds normal if you’re hitting 5.3ghz especially on the v cache CCD.

Last edited:
Associate
Been messing with curve optimizer the last week or so. I just presumed it would probably crash as soon as I touched it. I tried -20 negative all core, then -25 now -30.

I have done a few stress tests, but I don't have the patience to dial in a per core undervolt and I just want to see if it stays stable in basic applications and loads of different games.

Have not seen any crashes yet but have no idea if it is actually stable or not. Seems fine so far and the voltage has come down loads. I saw it get to about 0.516V idle and it's not going over 1.440v max now. In games it's more like high 1.2xx low 1.3xx

Getting greedy to try more until it crashes but will probably leave it there for now. Cinebench R20 and R23 and 2024 scores just keep going up and up.
Are you using a 7950x3d or a 7800x3d? If it’s the latter that sounds doable, but I would recommend testing for a longer period to verify stability. It just saves headache in the future, and really does pay off once you have a fully stable system you can enjoy without the worry.

Associate
Are you using a 7950x3d or a 7800x3d? If it’s the latter that sounds doable, but I would recommend testing for a longer period to verify stability. It just saves headache in the future, and really does pay off once you have a fully stable system you can enjoy without the worry.
I feel like an intruder now. I just realized this whole thread says x3d at the end. My fault for having too many tabs open.

It's a regular 7900X and -30 seems to be doing really well still but you are right of course! Some say the different CCXs and lower core count CPUs can sometimes undervolt better, silicon dependent.

I wanted an x3d but pulled the trigger early when they came out and only just getting round to testing now. Have to remove my mobo to take out the CPU so it's staying a while!

Soldato
Noticed my x670e hero board had a few 8000Mhz kits added to QVL list. Does anyone have recent benchmarks for 7950x3d with memory speeds between 6000Mhz and 8000Mhz to link? Had a quick search earlier but could only find really old ones with slower kits.

Back
Top Bottom