• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
@humbug where was this test with the 3 Asus boards failing at 6000M/T ?
This was the board I was looking at;
Guru3D didn't have any issue hitting 6000M/T, and VRM thermals were around mid 30's, nowhere near 100c!

Associate
Caporegime
Thanks. Shame they didn't test the equivelent Gaming Asus, the Tuf Gaming model. Has more VRM's than the Gigabyte equivelent.

Yes, the Prime Plus looks like a better board, i can see it has a lot of VRMs, looks like it has about the same amount mine does.

Its also a £200 board, its in a different category, the Gigabyte Gaming X, on that chart, is £116.

Soldato
Yes, the Prime Plus looks like a better board, i can see it has a lot of VRMs, looks like it has about the same amount mine does.

Its also a £200 board, its in a different category, the Gigabyte Gaming X, on that chart, is £116.

The Gigabyte Gaming X, an AM5 board is £116?

Soldato
I guess as long as people keep buying them...

Unfortunately without a major boycott, manufacturers are never going to change, and consumers are mostly too impatient to boycott anything.
Also not helped AMD did an Intel and made sure PCI-E 5.0 was locked to another "chipset" despite B650 and B650E using the same Promontory chip! But it gets worse when you realise, like with Nvidia, more and more of their sub £400 dGPUs will have cut down PCI-E lanes,only 8GB of VRAM and smaller caches. This compounds the problem compared to higher end dGPUs.

Notice how HUB, etc conveniently ignore this but were happy to dunk on Intel for feature locking stuff?!

Last edited:
Caporegime
No not at all, i'm sure its true that Asus managed to sort it out and get 6000MT/s stable, my point is only the Asus board couldn't get 6000MT/s across the range of 3 he tested on the day.
All 3 of them also failed the VRM test with two of them running temps over 100c.
Only all the MSI and Gigabyte boards could run 6000MT/s.
The Gigabyte board had by far the fastest windows boot times.

The Asus board's all pretty much failed all of these tests, and they were the most expensive boards.

Ok so maybe Asus just don't make good low end boards, Jay buys nothing but the most expensive Asus boards, he's had nothing but trouble with them, granted Jay is not the sharpest knife in the draw, Reddit is also full of people with Asus motherboard issues, including critical reliability issues.

If i'm going to recomend a motherboard to anyone at any price range its Gigabyte. i wouldn't recomend Asus if they were the last thing on sale.

What's Gigabyte bios like nowadays? used to be awful. Has it improved?

Associate
My personal experience is that I had a Asus motherboard with no issues, then went for a Gigabyte one and had problems (inc RMA and issues after), so went for Asus again (Current) and it has been great, so I am therefore leaning towards getting another Asus motherboard for my AM5 build (X670e).

Last edited:
Associate
Just got an email from a competitor who said they were expecting a shipment of the 7950X3D yesterday but this has now been delayed to the first week in April. How's the situation here?

Last edited:
Associate
I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate for when the 7950x3d will arrive for me? I'm in the UK and placed a pre-order on it on the 28th of Feb.
Perhaps people that have gotten it already could say when they placed their orders?

Caporegime
My personal experience is that I had a Asus motherboard with no issues, then went for a Gigabyte one and had problems (inc RMA and issues after), so went for Asus again (Current) and it has been great, so I am therefore leaning towards getting another Asus motherboard for my AM5 build (X670e).

My issue is despite having asus boards for the last 15 years, is that the current gen are poor, short of features and more expensive than the competition. Even daft things like only having one connector on the mobo which can handle more then 1 amp for things like water pumps when their competitors have every connector can handle 2 amps or even 3 amps.

Annoys the hell out of me how they have skimped yet still want to charge top price for them. And this a £700 mobo I am looking at, not an entry level board.

Plus on the forums there are lots of issues ref some ddr5 which work just like that on other manufacturers boards.

Associate
Also not helped AMD did an Intel and made sure PCI-E 5.0 was locked to another "chipset" despite B650 and B650E using the same Promontory chip!
Thats not correct its up to the motherboard manufacturer whether or not and how they use pcie 5 on b650 boards, think the real question is why no cheap ass pcie 4 only boards.

Soldato
Thats not correct its up to the motherboard manufacturer whether or not and how they use pcie 5 on b650 boards, think the real question is why no cheap ass pcie 4 only boards.

It was AMD who made the split of the B650 into B650 and B650E. AMD didn't split the B550 into PCI-E 4.0 optional B550 and PCI-E 4.0 only B550E - they only made it the PCI-E 4.0 capable B550. So it is AMD who decided to do this,and didn't make PCI-E 5.0 enforceable as a minimum for B650. Remember the A620,is starting at well over £100,ie,the cost of what the B550 cost,with the same connectivity and no overclocking. There is zero reason for the B650 to exist,only for AMD to throw their OEMs a bone to make overpriced "entry level" motherboards. If AMD "enforced" PCI-E 5.0 on B650,there would be no need for a B650E.

The B650/B650E/X670/X670E use Promontory 21.The pair of Promontory 21 in X670E chipsets costs less than the repurposed I/O chiplet in the X570 motherboards,so it's nothing to do with chipset cost either. Intel B760 motherboards under £200 can have PCI-E 5.0 too,so it can't be a PCB cost issue due to PCI-E 5.0 signalling.

It' get's worse with mini-ITX motherboards(which I use) and these have less issues with single length(the chipset is close to the main slot and M2 slots). To get PCI-E 5.0,you can get £200~£230 B760/Z790 motherboards with it. With AM5,its £300+ for a PCI-E 5.0 mini-ITX motherboard and £250+ with a PCI-E 4.0 mini-ITX motherboard(even the M2 slot is locked to PCI-E 4.0!).

I don't see the point of paying £100s for a new platform with new expensive RAM and extremely expensive motherboards,for it to be hobbled to last generation PCI-E speeds. This is especially true with the RX6600/RX6600XT/RTX3050 being hobbled to PCI-E 8X,and both AMD and Nvidia pushing up GPUs a tier. So it's most likely the RX8600XT will be 8X and the RTX5060 too. You already are seeing the RTX4060 only being an 8GB card and essentially using a 107 series dGPU(which was reserved to the 50 series cards),and the RTX4070/RTX4070TI using the class of dGPU used in the RTX3060/RTX2060/GTX1060. That means the possibility of an increasing number of sub £500 graphics cards having hobbled PCI-E bus width,memory bandwidth,Cache amounts and VRAM amounts. This makes them more reliant on the PCI-E link speed.

Ironically those who will buy higher end dGPUs will be less affected(because they tend to have more VRAM,more memory bandwith and larger Cache amounts).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm currently finding it annoying that "cheap" X670E boards are pretty much limited to Asus or a couple of ASRock boards.
I'm just wondering if there are any decent alternatives to Asus boards.
Put off the ASRock board by lack of m.2 heatsinks.
Maybe I go for a B650E board, is there more selection there? But is it a silly idea to pair B650E with a 7950X3D?

Soldato
It was AMD who made the split of the B650 into B650 and B650E. AMD didn't split the B550 into PCI-E 4.0 optional B550 and PCI-E 4.0 only B550E - they only made it the PCI-E 4.0 capable B550. So it is AMD who decided to do this,and didn't make PCI-E 5.0 enforceable as a minimum for B650. Remember the A620,is starting at well over £100,ie,the cost of what the B550 cost,with the same connectivity and no overclocking. There is zero reason for the B650 to exist,only for AMD to throw their OEMs a bone to make overpriced "entry level" motherboards. If AMD "enforced" PCI-E 5.0 on B650,there would be no need for a B650E.

The B650/B650E/X670/X670E use Promontory 21.The pair of Promontory 21 in X670E chipsets costs less than the repurposed I/O chiplet in the X570 motherboards,so it's nothing to do with chipset cost either. Intel B760 motherboards under £200 can have PCI-E 5.0 too,so it can't be a PCB cost issue due to PCI-E 5.0 signalling.

It' get's worse with mini-ITX motherboards(which I use) and these have less issues with single length(the chipset is close to the main slot and M2 slots). To get PCI-E 5.0,you can get £200~£230 B760/Z790 motherboards with it. With AM5,its £300+ for a PCI-E 5.0 mini-ITX motherboard and £250+ with a PCI-E 4.0 mini-ITX motherboard(even the M2 slot is locked to PCI-E 4.0!).

I don't see the point of paying £100s for a new platform with new expensive RAM and extremely expensive motherboards,for it to be hobbled to last generation PCI-E speeds. This is especially true with the RX6600/RX6600XT/RTX3050 being hobbled to PCI-E 8X,and both AMD and Nvidia pushing up GPUs a tier. So it's most likely the RX8600XT will be 8X and the RTX5060 too. You already are seeing the RTX4060 only being an 8GB card and essentially using a 107 series dGPU(which was reserved to the 50 series cards),and the RTX4070/RTX4070TI using the class of dGPU used in the RTX3060/RTX2060/GTX1060. That means the possibility of an increasing number of sub £500 graphics cards having hobbled PCI-E bus width,memory bandwidth,Cache amounts and VRAM amounts. This makes them more reliant on the PCI-E link speed.

Ironically those who will buy higher end dGPUs will be less affected(because they tend to have more VRAM,more memory bandwith and larger Cache amounts).

A couple of points worth noting. First, AMD don’t make or sell motherboards that I know of and component costs have massively increased over the last 12 months.

The lower demand for retail parts after the covid driven boom and unprecedented slump in Intel based product sales probably isn’t helping motherboard prices either.

Soldato
Remind me how it's AMD's fault that motherboard prices are high.

There's more than half a dozen board makers doing AM5 and somehow none of them, not even the value oriented ones, are cleaning up with cheap motherboards.

What is the gun AMD is holding to their heads that makes AMD responsible for the price.

Back
Top Bottom