• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Armoury crate is terrible piece of software, it caused my new pc to shut down when I was browsing the Internet.

When I booted back I got windows 11 cannot boot and it took 3 restarts before it repaired itself. Kept having pop up when I finally got back in Windows “cannot open ASIO3.sys, error code 5, access denied.

Went a removed armoury crate from add/remove programs and my PC has been stable, 10-12 hours at a time no problem, no further crashes in 5 days.

Seriously I advise remove asap and told the company that built my PC they should not install it on future builds.

Last edited:
Associate
Armoury crate is terrible piece of software, it caused my new pc to shut down when I was browsing the Internet.

When I booted back I got windows 11 cannot boot and it took 3 restarts before it repaired itself. Kept having pop up when I finally got back in Windows “cannot open ASIO3.sys, error code 5, access denied.

Went a removed armoury crate from add/remove programs and my PC has been stable, 10-12 hours at a time no problem, no further crashes in 5 days.

Seriously I advise remove asap and told the company that built my PC they should not install it on future builds.
First thing I do is disable the Armoury crate prompts in the Asus BIOS. So I don't even have to look at it :cry:

Associate

I think this dude was trolling me tbh now I think of it.

Associate
With the 7950X3D have any of you experienced CCD0 running faster than CCD1 when doing a multi-core benchmark in cinebench r23 or something similar? CCD0 runs at 4770ish and CCD1 runs at 4700ish. That and I’m hitting 89-90.2c almost instantly with a kraken 73 AIO running at 100%. Liquid temp sits at 28-30c idle (CPU @ 40-44c) and 29-30c under max load (CPU @ 89-90.2c). Hitting max temps downclocks the CPU. Cinebench score sits around the 34k region.

Associate
You can expect some sort of legal action coming soon. Sold as a supported technology by AMD, but mobo vendors dont want anything to do with it.

XU5DtRU.png

( AMD.COM today )
So I was joking earlier about setting everything back to default in the bios, but it seems more so now that if you want a warranty, you will have to?

Soldato
Don't touch "Armoury Crate" unless you have to.

The Asus BIOS will try very hard to make you have to because the damn thing is embedded there and auto loads into Windows startup. It can be turned off but you have to know to look for it, else it just comes back every reboot!

So yes, it is basically malware/a root kit. If ever someone manages to write a proper virus to the thing, that PC is bricked unless the owner knows enough to shut it down in the UEFI menus before installing Windows.

Last edited:
Associate
You can expect some sort of legal action coming soon. Sold as a supported technology by AMD, but mobo vendors dont want anything to do with it.

XU5DtRU.png

( AMD.COM today )
Yeah these are the times where I wish I studied LAW because it would be fun going against these companies but there's no way for them to know if you had EXPO-XMP on unless you tell them.

Associate
All the performance figures used to promote AM5 were done with EXPO enabled, with no disclaimers. I bet the legal department are scouring the small print :D

rFZotPS.png

Still no disclaimer or warning on AMD.com
Yeah I can't imagine they'd win if you actually took them to court over not honouring a warranty because you enabled EXPO when literally all of their marketing revolves around using it. RAM is also sold around using EXPO too with no warnings. The entire thing just feels like companies trying to have their cake and to eat it too.

Soldato
All the performance figures used to promote AM5 were done with EXPO enabled, with no disclaimers. I bet the legal department are scouring the small print :D

Yup, Ryzen 7000 drops a fair chunk of performance with slower memory and they knew this. If I remember right, some very early reviews used DDR 4800 memory and got poor results, then others started turning EXPO on and it started to shine. It's going to be a mess if they declare EXPO isn't supported because those reviews need to be re-done with the actual supported memory speeds. They can't reasonably tell you to invalidate the warranty on your £900 worth of CPU+motherboard to get good performance. I for one will not do so. Guess I won't be buying an Asus board after all. Time will tell whether other manufacturers do the same thing.

Also makes me wonder how many memory kits will drop off QVLs if they can't just throw silly voltage at the SoC... worried my 2x32 G.Skill 6000 c30 might not actually work as expected - I would have bought something else if I was going with Intel :(

Last edited:
Caporegime

rFZotPS.png

Still no disclaimer or warning on AMD.com
Footnotes at the bottom of the EXPO tech page.

PCWorld had Steve on to discuss this

Last edited:
Associate
The Asus BIOS will try very hard to make you have to because the damn thing is embedded there and auto loads into Windows startup. It can be turned off but you have to know to look for it, else it just comes back every reboot!

So yes, it is basically malware/a root kit. If ever someone manages to write a proper virus to the thing, that PC is bricked unless the owner knows enough to shut it down in the UEFI menus before installing Windows.
it doesn't autoinstall does it? i remember a prompt about it installing it and i said no.

Soldato
it doesn't autoinstall does it? i remember a prompt about it installing it and i said no.

I haven't had first hand experience, but I read around it and people were complaining about finding Armory Crate services running in the background even if they'd said no, and uninstalling only to find it came back next boot or Windows Update, etc. It's possible this behaviour has been toned down so that it accepts the initial no because it was aggravating a lot of users. There is at least an option in the BIOS screens to turn it off permanently.

What I dislike here is that there is a feature in the UEFI standards to allow the board to inject files into the Windows boot sequence. It feels like such a bad idea because manufacturers (or even OEM vendors) essentially get to force install anything they like. They don't have to give you access to disable it, it's a courtesy that they do. It's a feature of questionable value and possible harm to the user. Feels like what you'd do if you wanted to insert government spyware onto every new PC.

Soldato
It absolutely does, make sure you turn it off in the bios if you don't want it.

Also, surely AMD/board manufacturers cannot retroactively enforce these new 'rules' for people with existing products? Obviously it'd be a legal battle, but I don't see how that would stand up.

Back
Top Bottom