• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just wanted to ask if anyone has attempted overclocking again since the new 1413 bios roll out last week?

I'm still running default settings with the exception of the manual memory timings. Not EXPO.

I'm a little hesitant tbf due to the recent findings from G\N and a bit concerned that I might have accidentally permanently damaged the 7800X3D and maybe other components in some way, I'm not sure.

I'm just trying to be cautious I guess because this is my first return to building a gaming pc since 2011 and just want to make sure it doesn't degrade in performance or worst case brick itself prematurely. :rolleyes: :D

I tried the overclocking option that Asus has in its BIOS (I think it just sets the external clock to a higher value), but turned it off almost immediately.
Apart from that, I've been using PBO with curve optimiser. I've enabled EXPO I since last BIOS, but then changed the timings myself and set the voltage manually to 1.2 (BIOS still says EXPO I, but all the timings are the ones I set).
All good so far.

Looking at the last few pages I'm seeing a lot of hate for Armor Crate, which I'm now embarrassed to say I'm using... Just curious, is this so unpopular because its bloaty or are there other issues, because tbh I've not had any problems with it.
Also, what alternatives do people use for managing RGB and fans? I noticed somebody suggested OpenRGB so will check that out, but I've used Fan Xpert for a long time (hope I won't get criticised for that) and always found it works well with very little effort.

Looking at the last few pages I'm seeing a lot of hate for Armor Crate, which I'm now embarrassed to say I'm using... Just curious, is this so unpopular because its bloaty or are there other issues, because tbh I've not had any problems with it.
Also, what alternatives do people use for managing RGB and fans? I noticed somebody suggested OpenRGB so will check that out, but I've used Fan Xpert for a long time (hope I won't get criticised for that) and always found it works well with very little effort.
I used armory crate on my Tuf 6800xt right after I bought it in 2021 to set the small RGB to the color I wanted and uninstalled it and thought nothing of it. However, some time later, I neded to set the color again. (don't remember why) and simply reinstalled Armory Crate from my downloads folder, (I'm lazy and seldom clear that out) and was met with a message that I needed to update. Since I just wanted to change the color from rainbow-puke to red and the version I used last time worked fine, I attempted to just decline/ignore the notification....but I couldn't. I had to update before I could do anything and.....The new version couldn't see my damn card!

The old version worked. It forced me to update. The new version did NOT work. It also did not uninstall properly and required a special uninstall tool to get rid of it.

So, I unplugged the RGB header and got on with using the card. That was last year, and I removed the card when I sold the rest of the PC.

Now I am looking to repurpose parts from a friend's old workstation into a gaming rig. (i7 6900K) and decided to try the latest version. (After first creating a restore point this time)

Well, same crap. It can't see my 6800XT. I just did a system restore and unplugged the header again.

Armory Crate is evil.

Last edited:
I tried the overclocking option that Asus has in its BIOS (I think it just sets the external clock to a higher value), but turned it off almost immediately.
Apart from that, I've been using PBO with curve optimiser. I've enabled EXPO I since last BIOS, but then changed the timings myself and set the voltage manually to 1.2 (BIOS still says EXPO I, but all the timings are the ones I set).
All good so far.
Ok. Good to hear.

I know that according to this article :
https://wccftech.com/official-amd-a...zen-7000-burnout-fix-to-release-in-early-may/ it sounds like another fix is on the way. Depending on how that goes I'll pickup where I left off and attempt to get back into tuning the curve optimizer and enabling the PBO.

I don't know if this is helpful but I had the same thing with the memory timings, but on one of the bios resets, found that if I switched the memory profile to "manual" and used that for the timings it retains some of the Expo profile if you ever felt like switching between your memory timings, EXPO I & EXPO II for test purposes.

Finished my new build last weekend after getting back from a few days away. I'm running bios 1401 on an Asus x670e-e. As usual I installed HWinfo to keep an eye on things and noticed the SOC voltage was pretty much nailed to 1.24v. I also installed the latest chipset drivers and xbox game bar.

I ran a couple of games which were fine then downloaded and ran Jedi Survivor. After roughly 30 mins in game I checked HWinfo and SOC was still 1.24v. But the max reported clocks on the cpu (7950x3d) seemed well out of whack. CCD0 had 5 of the 8 cores boosting to 5.7ghz (I believe this is the cache CCD?) and CCD1 was reporting one core at a max of 6.5ghz. CPU package temp maxed out at 72c. These clock figures seem impossible?

I dropped my SoC down a bit more from 1.25v to 1.15v to see if it was stable on my 6000/c30 32gb ram kit/7950x3d. I did some of the usual stress tests like prime95 for a few hours, and it didn't restart when idle over night so we'll see how it goes. Probably won't push it anymore after this, that seems a super safe voltage.
Finished my new build last weekend after getting back from a few days away. I'm running bios 1401 on an Asus x670e-e. As usual I installed HWinfo to keep an eye on things and noticed the SOC voltage was pretty much nailed to 1.24v. I also installed the latest chipset drivers and xbox game bar.

I ran a couple of games which were fine then downloaded and ran Jedi Survivor. After roughly 30 mins in game I checked HWinfo and SOC was still 1.24v. But the max reported clocks on the cpu (7950x3d) seemed well out of whack. CCD0 had 5 of the 8 cores boosting to 5.7ghz (I believe this is the cache CCD?) and CCD1 was reporting one core at a max of 6.5ghz. CPU package temp maxed out at 72c. These clock figures seem impossible?
That doesn't seem correct, yeah. I'd check to see if you're on the latest version of hwinfo, I've heard some older versions can be a bit buggy with monitoring.

I dropped my SoC down a bit more from 1.25v to 1.15v to see if it was stable on my 6000/c30 32gb ram kit/7950x3d. I did some of the usual stress tests like prime95 for a few hours, and it didn't restart when idle over night so we'll see how it goes. Probably won't push it anymore after this, that seems a super safe voltage.

That doesn't seem correct, yeah. I'd check to see if you're on the latest version of hwinfo, I've heard some older versions can be a bit buggy with monitoring.
Think it's v1.50? Downloaded it fresh from their website so should be the latest version but I'll check after work.

Anybody know what Bclk1 does? (Asus bios)

Yesterday I gave another try to overclocking with the external clock, but by mistake I set Bclk1 to 105 instead if Bclk2. I realised the mistake too late and the system would not even post. I had to clear Cmos and reset everything.

Did I screw up? I hope I didn't damage the CPU or the board, although everything seems to be working fine.

Last edited:
Anybody know what Bclk1 does? (Asus bios)

Yesterday I gave another try to overclocking with the external clock, but by mistake I set Bclk1 to 105 instead if Bclk2. I realised the mistake too late and the system would not even post. I had to clear Cmos and reset everything.

Did I screw up? I hope I didn't damage the CPU or the board, although everything seems to be working fine.

Not sure on your motherboard, but I would imagine the difference between BCLK 1 and 2 is overclocking all the systems busses and just the CPU/memory.

Not sure on your motherboard, but I would imagine the difference between BCLK 1 and 2 is overclocking all the systems busses and just the CPU/memory.

Yep. It looks like Bclk2 is just the external clock, while Bclk1 is the base clock for CPU, memory, pcie, etc.

In my case the system didn't even boot probably because the devices failed to initialise because of the higher clock (this was clear from the led colour on the mobo).
Fortunately, a full reset brought everything back to normal.

At least this taught me to pay attention when I change settings in the bios!

Yep. It looks like Bclk2 is just the external clock, while Bclk1 is the base clock for CPU, memory, pcie, etc.

In my case the system didn't even boot probably because the devices failed to initialise because of the higher clock (this was clear from the led colour on the mobo).
Fortunately, a full reset brought everything back to normal.

At least this taught me to pay attention when I change settings in the bios!

Mouse and keyboard probably didn’t like the OC.

Anyone have Warzone 2 to test if the fps drops while you moving the mouse when your searching for a game?
Remember that FPS has to be unlimited to be able to see the drops.

the low 1% and 0.1% fps have been really bad these few days and I just can't figure out what it is.

Anyone have Warzone 2 to test if the fps drops while you moving the mouse when your searching for a game?
Remember that FPS has to be unlimited to be able to see the drops.

the low 1% and 0.1% fps have been really bad these few days and I just can't figure out what it is.
Can't say i've noticed it, will check tonight

Can't say i've noticed it, will check tonight
yeah same but I never checked before when i move the mouse but lately the 1% and 0.1 have been terrible so it got me investigating if something wrong on my end or it's the stupid game with stupid new patches/updates running performance to the point of making it toilet

Last edited:
yeah same but I never checked before when i move the mouse but lately the 1% and 0.1 have been terrible so it got me investigating if something wrong on my end or it's the stupid game with stupid new patches/updates running performance to the point of making it toilet
yeh game is going down toilet, a few FPS drops are least of our problems with the way the servers are, lag will lose you more gun fights than a few fps drops in a game. I just cannot understand how we can go from verdansk at the peak of the pandemic when there was probably 1000x the player base and the servers were fine the vast majority of the time.

yeh game is going down toilet, a few FPS drops are least of our problems with the way the servers are, lag will lose you more gun fights than a few fps drops in a game. I just cannot understand how we can go from verdansk at the peak of the pandemic when there was probably 1000x the player base and the servers were fine the vast majority of the time.

The franchise went down the toilet years ago if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom