• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Noticed my x670e hero board had a few 8000Mhz kits added to QVL list. Does anyone have recent benchmarks for 7950x3d with memory speeds between 6000Mhz and 8000Mhz to link? Had a quick search earlier but could only find really old ones with slower kits.
I can tell you now with the X3D chips it will make very little difference with anything above 6000, a few percent at best. Save your money ..

Associate
Thought I'd report back in case it's of interest to anyone.

My 7950x3D turned out to be a lemon. Random hard crashes (no BSOD) under bursty, lightly threaded loads (GeekBench) with totally default settings. It needed a positive CO to be stable.

Popped in a new one today (praise be to Bezos), and not a crash since. I've tried a -10 CO so far and it seems stable, whereas the last chip wouldn't even boot past -5.

Never seen anything like that with a CPU in all my years building. It seems the silicon lottery is very real with these chips, and maybe AMD still needs to improve their QA process.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can tell you now with the X3D chips it will make very little difference with anything above 6000, a few percent at best. Save your money ..
Yeah I agree it'll be a small improvement, though it is fun to push each platform to it's limits. I've seen a good deal on 8000Mhz kits that are on the QVL list, I'll give them a whirl on my 13900k/z690 system to see if I can get them stable there too. Should be just a question of loading XMP on my AM5 board, as it's on QVL, assuming my IMC is up to scratch!

Soldato
Thought I'd report back in case it's of interest to anyone.

My 7950x3D turned out to be a lemon. Random hard crashes (no BSOD) under bursty, lightly threaded loads (GeekBench) with totally default settings. It needed a positive CO to be stable.

Popped in a new one today (praise be to Bezos), and not a crash since. I've tried a -10 CO so far and it seems stable, whereas the last chip wouldn't even boot past -5.

Never seen anything like that with a CPU in all my years building. It seems the silicon lottery is very real with these chips, and maybe AMD still needs to improve their QA process.
Glad you got that sorted. I found with mine a big difference between the Cached CCD and the non. -34 cached and -20. Couldn’t be bother messing with each core. I also read lowering your SOC voltage by .1 looses 10 watts from the cpu. Which all reduces the heat allowing higher clocks, boosting for longer.

Soldato
Yeah I agree it'll be a small improvement, though it is fun to push each platform to its limits. I've seen a good deal on 8000Mhz kits that are on the QVL list, I'll give them a whirl on my 13900k/z690 system to see if I can get them stable there too. Should be just a question of loading XMP on my AM5 board, as it's on QVL, assuming my IMC is up to scratch!
Totally agree, spent quite a bit of time tuning my A-Die but made very little difference with the R23/R24 scores, but it was fun.

Associate
Which kit did you get out of interest and how fast have you got it stable at?

Gskill FlareX5 2x16b 6000mhz CL30: F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5​

I have it stable at 6400mhz with loosened Expo timings. But to do that I have to pump up the SOC voltage to 1.275v & VDD to 1.43v.
I think those are safe?

Not sure it's really worth the extra heat and power to run 6400mhz, especially in this air-cooled ITX build.
b8mPW3r.jpg
RsOUlHF.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime

I have it stable at 6400mhz with loosened Expo timings. But to do that I have to pump up the SOC voltage to 1.275v & VDD to 1.43v.
I think those are safe?

Not sure it's really worth the extra heat and power to run 6400mhz, especially in this air-cooled ITX build.
b8mPW3r.jpg
RsOUlHF.jpg
Yes those are both fine. Probably better off running a tight 6000 setup at lower voltages though for ITX.

Soldato

I think those are safe?

b8mPW3r.jpg
RsOUlHF.jpg
Nice case what is it?

Associate
I've been running my SOC voltage at 1.275v which shows around 1.269v max according to CPU VDDCR_SOC Voltage (SVI3 TFN) in HWiNFO.

My motherboard SOC voltage in HWiNFO shows 1.332v max which is quite a difference.

I have seen some have much closer figures. This got me worried that I might be running a bit in the unsafe zone.

I read this article and watched the video from Gigabyte:

This seems to confirm that I am following 'safe' SOC voltages as supposedly confirmed by AMD but that voltages may still be above 1.3v, if measured at difference points.

I wonder if AMD were aware of this and that the true maximum limit is higher, so 1.3v is set to avoid reaching much higher than that.

Associate
7800x3d owners, what temps do you have in idle and full load?
Idle I have 39-42, and during load it depends on workload.
If I run Cinebench R23, it jumps to 78-79 degrees and hovers around that while it's running.

In games, it sits around 60-70 (depending on the game), but when I launch a game temp jumps to 80-87 (highest I've got), then it drops.
For example, I launched The Last of Us, temp jumps to 80 degrees + while loading, but in-game I have 70-72 degrees.

I have a NH-D15S cooler with two fans.
I also have curve optimizer set on all cores to -30.

Is this normal behavior with the 7800x3d CPU?

Caporegime
If I run Cinebench R23, it jumps to 78-79 degrees and hovers around that while it's running.

In games, it sits around 60-70 (depending on the game), but when I launch a game temp jumps to 80-87 (highest I've got), then it drops.
For example, I launched The Last of Us, temp jumps to 80 degrees + while loading, but in-game I have 70-72 degrees.

Sounds very normal.

Soldato

Very normal I have noctua nha12.

Associate
This is super pretty! What did you manage to pack in there?

(Damn suddenly I'm feel like my Fractal North in white is big and clunky :cry:)
It is really small! It wouldn't suit the needs of most hardcore gamers because it only fits a dual-slot GPU, but it's more of a workstation build for me, so I figured why not take advantage of Zen 4's efficiency?
Hence a 7950x3D. And I grabbed a used RX 6800 off eBay, which is more than enough for my needs.

2zO7WHG.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
I've recently been watching a lot of videos on cooling these CPUs, especially the offset mounting and delidding, due to the extra thick IHS.

Anyone tried either on these CPUs and how did it go? Was it worth the extra effort?

Back
Top Bottom