• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Scroll up on this page, I mentioned both Asrock B650E Taichi Lite and personally myself and @Toxile are looking to land the likes of an Asus Strix B650E-E if it's on a better deal.
Considering the stories I've heard of worried AM5 owners wondering why their PC might take longer to boot and not knowing it's memory training, having an error code readout is even more handy than it normally is. Plus the other specs, i.e. the Asrock is the only B650 with USB4 or the Asus has a fair few M.2 and PCIe slots.

Posted the below on another thread by mistake:

With all the new 7800X3D owners, what sort of cooling solutions are folks running on this CPU? Especially given that it's fairly efficient and isn't that hot of a CPU to run.

Naturally I'm also looking to score a cooler to pair with mine, was considering the the ThermalRight PhantomSpirit 120 SE.

However... my current/old Intel Z97 rig (which I still plan to use/repurpose) has the NH-D15 on it. Could be an option to use that for the 7800X3D and I wouldn't want to buy a new one considering a new revision of the NH-D15 is coming soon and the price has gone up massively, compared to what I bought mine for back in the day.
I'd definitely need the mounting kit, since I bought the cooler before even AM4 existed, but that only costs around a tenner (or free from Noctua if I can be willing to fish up a proof of purchase). If I did that, I'd still need a new cooler, probably that PS 120 SE for the old Intel rig.

These ThermalRight coolers are certainly bang-for-buck at the moment. What does everyone else think?

Didn't think I'd be saying this but leaning towards the Asrock Riptide or the Aorus Elite AX?

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Thanks for the info. Was looking at exactly those just now. Either them or G skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
. Do you find 1.4v a bit high? How’s the SOC at EXPO with that voltage?

I did look at some G Skill/Team Group kits but they've all got ***** RGB which I'm not interested in.

1.4v is a safe voltage for a DDR5 kit and I'm pretty sure SoC voltage has an upper limit of 1.3v since one of the AGESA updates AMD put out.

Nothing to worry about imo.

Associate
Thanks for the info. Was looking at exactly those just now. Either them or G skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
. Do you find 1.4v a bit high? How’s the SOC at EXPO with that voltage?
Speak of the devil, that G-Skill pair is exactly the RAM that I ordered, which arrived yesterday. Checked the serial numbers and such at the back and looks to be Micron A-Die too.

For folks not wanting the RGB, the exact same version without RGB is available, just take off the R at the end :cry: .
F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N

Pricing is almost the same but suprisingly a few pennies more than the RGB version.

On the motherboard hunt, I'm not seeing any drops to £250 for the Asus Strix B650E-E... but I have seen that OCUK are matching the current lowest price.
Considering I've had good experience going through support when RMA repairing my current board, it's looking like my most likely option will be OCUK.

Also seen the same pricing games on the case I want, was a tenner less and all time low this time last week, but seems to show no signs of going back to that price.
I may have to settle for paying a tenner extra...

Last edited:
Soldato
Price drop as @Gibbo stated

• SKU: CP-3DT-AM
  • EAN: 0730143314930
  • MPN: 100-100000910WOF

100-100000910WOF, 8 Core with 16 Threads, 4.20GHz base clock speed, Up to 5.00GHz Boost Clock, 5nm FinFet Process, 104MB L3 Cache, Dual Channel DDR5 Controller, 5200-6000MHz RAM Recommended, 3yr Warra

£420 (incl. VAT)
£360 (incl. VAT)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Thanks guys and remember it is a big big help to us if you can bundle other items in with your order please, case, psu, motherboard, ram etc. :)

Also if your order does not ship today, do not panic, just as it is Black Friday even with additional resources it is simply impossible for us to ship out every order today, we will do our best of course. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Speak of the devil, that G-Skill pair is exactly the RAM that I ordered, which arrived yesterday. Checked the serial numbers and such at the back and looks to be Micron A-Die too.

For folks not wanting the RGB, the exact same version without RGB is available, just take off the R at the end :cry: .
F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N

Pricing is almost the same but suprisingly a few pennies more than the RGB version.

On the motherboard hunt, I'm not seeing any drops to £250 for the Asus Strix B650E-E... but I have seen that OCUK are matching the current lowest price.
Considering I've had good experience going through support when RMA repairing my current board, it's looking like my most likely option will be OCUK.

Also seen the same pricing games on the case I want, was a tenner less and all time low this time last week, but seems to show no signs of going back to that price.
I may have to settle for paying a tenner extra...
Ended up going for the F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N G Skill sticks.

I would prefer the slightly lower 1.35V standard voltage as opposed to the Corsair Hynix M dies. Can always use Buildzoids timings if I want to mess around with that.

I have gotten a bit tired of RGB and don't like that RAM often doesn't follow Mobo syncing.

Did a fair amount of research there. RAM is one of the most tricky things to get with so many different versions that all look the same!

Last edited:
Soldato
@Gibbo good to see the deal again. Unfortunately for me I missed out on this deal as per work commitments etc. Will wait for the 8000 series which isn't too far away now. Was hoping I'd have the time to jump on an get the CPU, Mobo and Mem.

Associate
I gave in and ordered the Asus B650E-E from OCUK, but also with the comfort knowing that if something goes wrong in the warranty period, I'm in good hands.
Considering my (increased) rent also just went, alongside all these purchases, my wallet is in major hurt right now :eek:

Only a case and a CPU cooler left to go. None of the GPU pricing tempts me right now to spend £400+ on a decent GPU.

Associate
On the subject of motherboards, is the X670E Tomahawk a good choice? I remember that the previous iteration of it was held in high regard.
When compared against other X670 boards, it's still lower down the stack. Unfortunately it takes £400+ spending on X670 to get the better boards.
A more sensible comparison is against the top B650 boards, priced similarly to the X670E Tomahawk.

Advantages of the X670E Tomahawk:
-Extra PCIe slot, just a physical x4/x1 though
-USB-C and DP display connectivity direct from the motherboard (not of much use if using a dedicated GPU). But the AsRock Taichi B650 (both regular and lite) also support USB-C display output
-Extra USB-C port for a total of 2, though matched by the Asus Strix B650E-E
-Extra USB 3 internal header for total of 2
-Extra 4-pin RGB 12V, for a total of 2, though Gigabyte B650E Aorus Master has it beat by having a 3rd
-Full set of rear audio IO, though this is matched by the Strix B650E-E

Disadvantages of the X670E Tomahawk:
-No built in power & reset switches on the board, unlike those B650 boards (disappointingly the Strix B650E-E also doesn't have them)
-Some of those top B650 boards have better VRMs (again, Strix B650E-E isn't one of these)
-Most of those top B650 boards have an extra 3 pin ARGB 5V for a total of 3, The X670 Tomahawk has only 2
-No error code readout on the X670E Tomahawk, those top end B650 boards all have them
-A lot less USB type A ports with only 6 vs 10+ on the top B650 boards
-A couple of those B650 boards have more gen 5 M.2 slots
-Other X670 boards, even the lower ranked ones have more internal SATA ports

Most other specs are the same between these boards.

Depends on what you want or need out of your motherboard. I've gone with B650E, the other option would've been the AsRock Taichi Lite, had I not gone for the Strix B650E-E for having the full set of rear audio IO.

Last edited:
Soldato
On the subject of motherboards, is the X670E Tomahawk a good choice? I remember that the previous iteration of it was held in high regard.

Yeah it's the one I was looking at , at one point you could have got it for around £206 , with offers and cashback from MSI which I find hard to beat , still think its good buy at around £260. Don't know if MSI are still doing £30 cashback on it

Iooking at reviews it's highly rated

Last edited:
Associate
I have that mobo and it's been solid for me. I've overclocked my ram and undervolted my cpu, once i had it dialled in its been stable with no crashes running benchmarks all night and gaming all day.

Soldato
When compared against other X670 boards, it's still lower down the stack. Unfortunately it takes £400+ spending on X670 to get the better boards.
A more sensible comparison is against the top B650 boards, priced similarly to the X670E Tomahawk.

Advantages of the X670E Tomahawk:
-Extra PCIe slot, just a physical x4/x1 though
-USB-C and DP display connectivity direct from the motherboard (not of much use if using a dedicated GPU). But the AsRock Taichi B650 (both regular and lite) also support USB-C display output
-Extra USB-C port for a total of 2, though matched by the Asus Strix B650E-E
-Extra USB 3 internal header for total of 2
-Extra 4-pin RGB 12V, for a total of 2, though Gigabyte B650E Aorus Master has it beat by having a 3rd
-Full set of rear audio IO, though this is matched by the Strix B650E-E

Disadvantages of the X670E Tomahawk:
-No built in power & reset switches on the board, unlike those B650 boards (disappointingly the Strix B650E-E also doesn't have them)
-Some of those top B650 boards have better VRMs (again, Strix B650E-E isn't one of these)
-Most of those top B650 boards have an extra 3 pin ARGB 5V for a total of 3, The X670 Tomahawk has only 2
-No error code readout on the X670E Tomahawk, those top end B650 boards all have them
-A lot less USB type A ports with only 6 vs 10+ on the top B650 boards
-A couple of those B650 boards have more gen 5 M.2 slots
-Other X670 boards, even the lower ranked ones have more internal SATA ports

Most other specs are the same between these boards.

Depends on what you want or need out of your motherboard. I've gone with B650E, the other option would've been the AsRock Taichi Lite, had I not gone for the Strix B650E-E for having the full set of rear audio IO.

Wow didn't know there were ATX boards with only 6 usb ports. That's far too low imo

Last edited:
Soldato
I was so looking for an excuse to get the 78003d but there's just no justification at 4k with what I have. TBH not even sure if the next one will be worth it either. Getting better at ignoring the upgrade itch anyway.

Back
Top Bottom