• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
no matter what i did i could not get the x box game bar to update even after playing cyberpunk and checking for updates and such. so i installed half life alyx then remembered i own halo which is a xbox game , logged in then it proceeded to get past the loading i was stuck on to update xbox services then i could update game bar. Back to playing minesweeper now the dramas over what a day formatting with different versions of 11 pro :cry:
How are you updating the game bar? If you haven’t already, open the Microsoft store, bottom left “library”, top right “update all”. That should work.

I own a 7950x3d and never had this issue.

Associate
Which CPU? 7950X3D?
CCD scheduling on the dual core X3D chips (the fact that one has 3D v-cache and the other clocks higher) make the 7900X3D and 7950X3D less appealling.
Hence the ideal X3D chip atm is 7800X3D, if needing more cores, no point going for 7900X3D or 7950X3D (regular 7900 - 7950X should do).
Actually the non-X chips are pretty nice due to significantly lower temps and power draw for similar performance.

Go big or go home I say. Next time just use 3D v-cache on both CCDs to keep it simple.
There is a lot of misinformation regarding the 7950x3d etc with it being dual CCD.

It’s this simple………

Update bios,
Clean install of windows,
AMD Chipset update (from AMD Website)
Game Bar updated,
Game Mode on,

Most of these things should be done when changing motherboard anyway. And fresh install of Windows I do regularly.

It really is that easy. The YouTubers have a lot to answer for if they can’t manage to follow these simple steps and get it working like it should, with minimal effort.

Mine is working perfectly without any issues. Tuning Curve Optimiser and A-die it’s been rock solid. It takes a while, but it pays off in the end with complete stability and piece of mind. Which is what everyone wants the end of the day.

It’s an excellent CPU that runs cool and very efficient.

The 7800x3d is great also. There really is only the difference of installing the 3d V cache and having game bar running between that and the 7950x3d.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I just reinstalled Windows today, no issues for me with 7950X3D. However, I did hear there was some issue with the new Windows build (2715) and MS Store apps, so maybe that is what issue Stella was having. There's also some issues with MS Edge on this new Windows (2715) build.

I am currently using Win 11 23H2 Build 2506, which is the previous build.

Last edited:
Associate
If you share a Zen timings screenshot with me I can give you more performant timings that’ll give lower latency than Bullzoids.
Hi Matt, still not up and running but will let you know when. Almost there. Just had a question you probably know. So, I am fairly new to Ram overclocking. Basically, is it possible to enable EXPO first to get ‘usable’ overclocking voltages and then just change the timings from there. Or do you have to start from scratch and leave everything ‘stock’ for Ram and change voltages and timings etc.? Not 100% clear from researching. Also, my gigabyte board doesn’t seem to like changing vdd voltages manually as it seems to change Soc too sometimes without notice. Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi Matt, still not up and running but will let you know when. Almost there. Just had a question you probably know. So, I am fairly new to Ram overclocking. Basically, is it possible to enable EXPO first to get ‘usable’ overclocking voltages and then just change the timings from there. Or do you have to start from scratch and leave everything ‘stock’ for Ram and change voltages and timings etc.? Not 100% clear from researching. Also, my gigabyte board doesn’t seem to like changing vdd voltages manually as it seems to change Soc too sometimes without notice. Thanks
Yes. If you apply the EXPO profile it will automatically apply the timings and voltages for the memory and the SOC. Depending on the DIMMs you use, they may have multiple EXPO profiles, for example profile I and II. The first profile will apply the primary timings, the second profile will apply the primary and some secondary timings. So best to go for the II profile, if it’s available. From there you can probably tighten things a little bit at stock voltage of 1.35v. However to make more significant changes you’ll probably need a higher voltage.

Reactions: J.D
Associate
Yes. If you apply the EXPO profile it will automatically apply the timings and voltages for the memory and the SOC. Depending on the DIMMs you use, they may have multiple EXPO profiles, for example profile I and II. The first profile will apply the primary timings, the second profile will apply the primary and some secondary timings. So best to go for the II profile, if it’s available. From there you can probably tighten things a little bit at stock voltage of 1.35v. However to make more significant changes you’ll probably need a higher voltage.
That’s great thanks. Couldn’t quite find that exact question being answered and now I also know detailed info when I see expo 1 and 2. Thanks for that.

Caporegime
I just reinstalled Windows today, no issues for me with 7950X3D. However, I did hear there was some issue with the new Windows build (2715) and MS Store apps, so maybe that is what issue Stella was having. There's also some issues with MS Edge on this new Windows (2715) build.

I am currently using Win 11 23H2 Build 2506, which is the previous build.
Might have been this.

Soldato
Associate
Noticed OCUK have dropped the price on some chips to their black friday deal price.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £867.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

sweet prices. if I didn't have to remove my motherboard to take the cpu out I would get one of these right now!

Associate
is there any advantages of W10 vs W11 in regards to new AM5 chips(7800x3d in my case)? I’ve just seen JayzTwoCents video when he said that AMD advises new platform chips to run on Windows 11.

Soldato
is there any advantages of W10 vs W11 in regards to new AM5 chips(7800x3d in my case)? I’ve just seen JayzTwoCents video when he said that AMD advises new platform chips to run on Windows 11.
Windows 11 is just overall better than W10, regardless of if you're running AMD/Intel. There's much disinformation from people holding onto the past, still using W7 or W10, "MS out to steal my data" where people/groups try to scare people. Same people use a smart phone which collects far more data :D

Last edited:
Associate
Since the prices have started to drop I'm tempted to nab the 7800X3D now. Any recommendations for board and memory, CL36/30?
I got G Skill x2 16gb 6000mhz (32gb total)

Researched for ages. Seems any Hynix A or M die, (or Micron) is the way to go. Think this kit is Hynix A. Have not had the chance to sort custom timing (oc) yet but should hopefully be good.

It was between that RAM and a 1.4V (expo setting) set of Corsair lower latency Hynix. I preferred the below as I want to try and keep lower volts and SOC. I have a Gigabyte Master X670E and I have had endless issues with it, but I think I may have also got unlucky.
D5 Trident Z5 Neo​
Product Model Number​
F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N

30-38-38-96​

Last edited:
Soldato
I got G Skill x2 16gb 6000mhz (32gb total)

Researched for ages. Seems any Hynix A or M die, (or Micron) is the way to go. Think this kit is Hynix A. Have not had the chance to sort custom timing (oc) yet but should hopefully be good.

It was between that RAM and a 1.4V (expo setting) set of Samsung lower latency Hynix. I preferred the below as I want to try and keep lower volts and SOC. I have a Gigabyte Master X670E and I have had endless issues with it, but I think I may have also got unlucky.
D5 Trident Z5 Neo​
Product Model Number​
F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N

30-38-38-96​

I was looking at this Corsair set; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-48000c36-6000mhz-dual-cha-mem-crs-00997.html - Ideally looking for a plug and play set, issue free set preferred. Memory issues still a thing on Ryzen?

Back
Top Bottom