• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen console i've been wishing for

Caporegime
PS4 Pro's biggest weakness is its CPU, frankly if PS4 Pro had had that quad core Ryzen @3ghz it would have been a beast at 1080P. Even Xbox One X suffers as a result of the **** Jaguar CPU.

Soldato
Isn't this more of a pc rather than a console with platform specific games?

Its also being released as a console - it says it in the AT article.

AMD has cornered the x86 console market with its handy semi-custom mix of processors and graphics. While we slowly await the next generation of consoles from Microsoft and Sony, today AMD and Zhongshan Subor announced that a custom chip has been made for a new gaming PC and an upcoming console for the Chinese market.

The announcement states that a custom chip has been created for Subor that is based on four Zen cores running at 3.0 GHz and 24 compute units of Vega running at 1.3 GHz. The chip is supported by 8GB of GDDR5 memory, which the press release states is also embedded onto the chip, however it is likely to actually be on the package instead. Update: AMD has corrected the press release to say that the GDDR5 controller is on the chip, and the 8GB of GDDR5 is installed into the motherboard. Compare this to the specifications of AMD’s current SoC designs, such as the Ryzen 5 2400G, which has four Zen cores and 11 Vega CUs. Or Intel’s multi-chip design featuring four Intel cores and an AMD-based 24 compute unit GPU paired with 4GB of HBM2 memory. There is also AMD’s Vega Mobile chip, which is expected to be in the 24-32 compute unit range, however this is also paired with 4GB of HBM2.

It does not even use DDR4,but uses 8GB of GDDR5 has unified memory.

That is a lot of bandwidth especially for the Ryzen CPU.

So even as a gaming PC,that makes it the first X86 consumer PC to use GDDR5 as system RAM and the fastest APU created for desktop.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its also being released as a console - it says it in the AT article.

It does not even use DDR4,but uses 8GB of GDDR5 has unified memory.

That is a lot of bandwidth especially for the Ryzen CPU.

So even as a gaming PC,that makes it the first X86 consumer PC to use GDDR5 as system RAM and the fastest APU created for desktop.

Aye. But I would like 2 changes
a) Been able to put normal Ryzen 7 CPU on it and separate GPU
b) Put 16GB GDDR5 regardless the cost
:D

But I digress, the performance of that quad core will be phenomenal if is tapping into the bandwidth and speed of the GDDR5.

Soldato
Aye. But I would like 2 changes
a) Been able to put normal Ryzen 7 CPU on it and separate GPU
b) Put 16GB GDDR5 regardless the cost
:D

But I digress, the performance of that quad core will be phenomenal if is tapping into the bandwidth and speed of the GDDR5.

This must have a shared GDDR5 controller for both the CPU and GPU part,so that means it must be an SOC of some sort?

Soldato
Blimey. Never really thought about this segment of the Market before........................but that is some serious stuff going on there.

I thought Ryzen was worth moving to last year when i did...................................AMD have decided to take the fight further afield than i thought lol.

Soldato
I have a 2400G system in an Inwin Chopin case. 8GB of DDR4 3200 and SSD and it is nowhere near as capable in games as a PS4 Pro.

The lack of GDDR5 memory is a massive bottleneck so I suspect that alone will unleash the Ryzen APU.

Associate
Not a bad idea. I don't understand why consoles can't use faster hardware in the first place? Such a a cash cow these companies are.

remember the consoles usually sell at a small loss at the beginning. Also it takes years of R&D and when they finally lock down the specs there is always something new and more powerful.

While I would love a better CPU in my ps4 I understand that they went with the best price to performance they could at the time

Associate
Finally time were getting proper gaming APUs , I remember this being touted as the future way back with llano . but alas memory and GPU die size has finally caught up . as someone said perfect for a brix style lan box

Soldato
Not a bad idea. I don't understand why consoles can't use faster hardware in the first place? Such a a cash cow these companies are.

Because they do not need it?
Have you seen some game engines for PS4Pro? They designed to hit 4k constant 60fps and the graphics looks much better than anything we have seen on PC yet.
But they fully use the available hardware. Hardware async compute, optimisations etc. If those games came to PC as they are on PS4, you will have every single Nvidia owner complaining about poor performance because they are written for Polaris & Vega GPU hardware.

That their Nvidia gpus don't support hardware async compute means nothing.....

Soldato
OP

Because they do not need it?
Have you seen some game engines for PS4Pro? They designed to hit 4k constant 60fps and the graphics looks much better than anything we have seen on PC yet.
But they fully use the available hardware. Hardware async compute, optimisations etc. If those games came to PC as they are on PS4, you will have every single Nvidia owner complaining about poor performance because they are written for Polaris & Vega GPU hardware.

That their Nvidia gpus don't support hardware async compute means nothing.....

Tech at the time in development , when it then releases PC tech is again more advanced and then lifespan - pc tech further increases lead.

As mentioned above , optimisation for games later on in life massively help ! First games for about a year are poor but then you get to the EOL and some games look incredible with what the team were able to achieve with such' "old " tech

Really hoping this takes off as more PC consoles into kids and average Joe's living room - PC has already seen massive surge before likes of PUGB/Fornite but those relaly helping . In term will make PC games the focus and port them over - like it use to be

Soldato
Really hoping this takes off as more PC consoles into kids and average Joe's living room - PC has already seen massive surge before likes of PUGB/Fornite but those relaly helping . In term will make PC games the focus and port them over - like it use to be

The next round of consoles we know are based on Zen+Navi from both camps (SONY, MS).
And that will bring the consoles very close to PC specs to have games porting directly to PC without interference.....

Associate
It still seems more of a 8.5 gen console to me. If the likes of Sony and MS fully use what's available from AMD in the next few years, they should end up with something a lot better. A 7nm APU with a 4 GHz 4/6 core Zen2 CPU and a 12-14 TFLOP Navi GPU is a reasonable expectation.

I think Nintendo may also be going back to AMD, after the Nvidia tegra X1 turning out to be a mini disaster with the unpatchable exploit. Maybe they'd be looking at something like a Zen3 APU with Next gen graphics on 7nm+.

Associate
. A 7nm APU with a 4 GHz 4/6 core Zen2 CPU and a 12-14 TFLOP Navi GPU is a reasonable expectation.
12-14TFLOP is still a lot of performance even for forthcoming enthusiast grade hardware , concidering a 1080ti only pushes 11.... and the xboxonex around 6. I think were looking at best 10tflops , and that's me being generous for essentially what is an APU

Associate
12-14TFLOP is still a lot of performance even for forthcoming enthusiast grade hardware , concidering a 1080ti only pushes 11.... and the xboxonex around 6. I think were looking at best 10tflops , and that's me being generous for essentially what is an APU

I don't think 12-14 TFLOPs aka Vega 64 level of performance is out of the question for PS5/Xbox2. 7nm will give them space to add more GPU cores and they'll be able to clock them above 2GHz. Plus there should be some level of architectural/feature improvement which will increase performance from Vega to Navi.

Back
Top Bottom