• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

Associate
Hi Guys, I've already got a 1700X and MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X370 on pre-order, and about to get the RAM..
I want to get the following RAM as the mobo says it supports up to 3200 (OC)
can anyone put my mind at ease and let me know if this will just work out the box? even if its not full speeds? just worried ill get stuck on the day with a combo that I cant even get to boot to set manual settings!

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £218.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Thanks!​

Permabanned
Hi Guys, I've already got a 1700X and MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X370 on pre-order, and about to get the RAM..
I want to get the following RAM as the mobo says it supports up to 3200 (OC)
can anyone put my mind at ease and let me know if this will just work out the box? even if its not full speeds? just worried ill get stuck on the day with a combo that I cant even get to boot to set manual settings!

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £218.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Thanks!​
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vya3s/alva_lucky_n00b_jonathan_world_champion/

Soldato
A comment from Asus:

"
I’ve decided to provide some recommendations on DDR4 limitations concerning AM4 currently.

As it stands the AMD code has restricted RAM tuning options which means many RAM kits at launch will not be compatible. This is the same for our competitors also.
What we recommend is the following:
If fully populating a system with 4 DIMMs (2DPC), use memory up to a max of 2400MHz.
If using 1DPC (2 DIMMs) ensure they are installed in A2/B2 and use memory up to max of 3200MHz.

The indication I have received from HQ is that AMD has focused all their efforts on CPU performance so far and will release updated code in 1~2 months when we expect improved DDR4 compatibility and performance."

In short if filling all 4 DIMM's set your speed to 2400MHz and work up from there.
If using 2 DIMM's put them in the A2/B2 slots and a max of 3200MHz should be possible.

In our testing only the Crosshair board achieved 3000-3200MHz, the others were in the 2400-2666MHz range.

BIOS updates will come!
That claim about the Asus Crosshair being the only board capable of going beyond 2666MHz is wrong.

Someone using the Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 that comes in the AMD Ryzen test kit, which reviewers have now received is using DDR4 3200MHz @ 14-14-14 memory, that's without any tinkering in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Soldato
That claim about the Asus Crosshair being the only board capable of going beyond 2666MHz is wrong.

Someone using the Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 that comes in the AMD Ryzen test kit, which reviewers have now received is using DDR4 3200MHz @ 14-14-14 memory, that's without any tinkering in the BIOS.

Gibbo's advice is based on the fact that most users will want minimal intervention, which going by the replies here is a good approach. Vendors state these max frequencies for a reason. There is no magic bullet with these things, if you want to run memory at 3000Mhz you should get the Crosshair to have a fighting chance. Or, wait till you see evidence that samples can consistently hit those speeds with stability in tow <on other boards>.

Soldato
Gibbo's advice is based on the fact that most users will want minimal intervention, which going by the replies here is a good approach. Vendors state these max frequencies for a reason. There is no magic bullet with these things, if you want to run memory at 3000Mhz you should get the Crosshair to have a fighting chance. Or, wait till you see evidence that samples can consistently hit those speeds with stability in tow <on other boards>.
Why didn't AMD just send out the Asus Crosshair VI Hero with the 3000MHz Hynix kits as part of the AMD Ryzen test kit box that reviewers have received, instead of sending them all the Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5? AMD must be pretty confident that it will pass all the tests without fault. Like I mentioned, someone who has this is already testing it with higher rated RAM running without any changes to the BIOS.

Soldato
Who knows why that board was sent, could be multiple reasons. First 2 allocations of the Hero sold out in hours in NA. The G5 does officially support up to 3200Mhz, but perhaps the firmware OCUK differed at time of testing.

If users want to take a chance on the G5 regardless of OCUK advice then they can. I'd rather opt for the Hero and trust OCUK, then live vicariously through one or two reviewers who've yet to show any real evidence the platform was stable.

Permabanned
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5w4jhn/gigabyte_updates_gaming_5_bios_for_ddr4/

Gigabyte Updates Gaming 5 bios for DDR4 enhancements

2f69310b835e473fb89634036321f246

Soldato
No helpful input as usual. Don't be bitter

All factually correct and it's very useful information to some not familiar with your type of agenda.

You'll be seeing a lot of that

Not helpful to your cause I agree, but again, this could be seen like you have inside knowledge, which you don't.

So 100% helpful for someone considering spending a lot of money.

Soldato
All factually correct and it's very useful information to some not familiar with your type of agenda.

Not helpful to your cause I agree, but again, this could be seen like you have inside knowledge, which you don't.

So 100% helpful for someone considering spending a lot of money.

Agenda? Recommending a board? lol. I think your agenda is me correcting you regarding VRMs, but this isn't the thread for it!

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30430250/

4Ghz OC

3000Mhz.

No mention of 2400Mhz there. Considering you're attacking me for getting my facts wrong, you might want to check yours first. Just trying to offer advice.

Soldato
Well if you don't have a agenda then that's even worse. We come to the point you either lied, was part of the Nvidai focus group or had no clue what you're talking about. Either way you should be ignored and playing the victim isn't helping your cause.

I'm simply pointing in a thread titled RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW! it's probably best to consider you as John snow.

Caporegime
Again I find it a little worrying that experienced people are out there posting about how you NEED a Asus £250 board to get decent memory or cpu overclocks, when later on you're posting a statement direct from manufacturer of said board suggesting fixes/improvements will come to everyone, saying AMD will bring microcode updates and other motherboard makers have constant bios updates going on prelaunch.

This is standard, maybe you've forgotten but even x99 wasn't a completely new platform. Sure 8 core, quad channel, but they were just an extension of the mainstream CPUs and chipsets meaning they had plenty of experience with it.

This is a completely new platform ground up, new chips, they are SOCs on top of that and the boards/chipsets are new. Completely new platform = some buggy boards at launch, nothing new. Saying you have to get a £250 board because frankly just currently, before they are even properly released, they are a little unstable is frankly really naughty.

This has happened a couple dozen times before, the first lets say 939 boards, a little off, some knock it out the park, some are a little iffy but great after 2 months of updates. The £250 board is most likely to get the most attention and support and likely to get it's bios updated earlier/more often.

3 months from now we'll find out there are 1-2 genuine stinkers out of all the motherboards, ones that need a completely new revision to be any good, there will be a dozen really good midrange boards, both B350 and x370, which overclock well and get very good memory overclocks, then there will be the £250 boards, that will get 2% higher cpu clocks and 2% higher memory overclocks. THat is the most likely scenario because that is how every new platform/new cpu architecture has previously played out. X270/Kaby is not a new platform or architecture, hell Skylake isn't a 'new' architecture, it's a small iteration from Broadwell.

Lastly, an important point is talking about performance, is 3200Mhz offering any performance benefit at all over say 2666Mhz? Some chips simply don't provide more performance with higher memory, internal memory controller dividers can be triggered and cause lower performance.

Soldato
Again I find it a little worrying that experienced people are out there posting about how you NEED a Asus £250 board to get decent memory or cpu overclocks, when later on you're posting a statement direct from manufacturer of said board suggesting fixes/improvements will come to everyone, saying AMD will bring microcode updates and other motherboard makers have constant bios updates going on prelaunch.

This is standard, maybe you've forgotten but even x99 wasn't a completely new platform. Sure 8 core, quad channel, but they were just an extension of the mainstream CPUs and chipsets meaning they had plenty of experience with it.

This is a completely new platform ground up, new chips, they are SOCs on top of that and the boards/chipsets are new. Completely new platform = some buggy boards at launch, nothing new. Saying you have to get a £250 board because frankly just currently, before they are even properly released, they are a little unstable is frankly really naughty.

This has happened a couple dozen times before, the first lets say 939 boards, a little off, some knock it out the park, some are a little iffy but great after 2 months of updates. The £250 board is most likely to get the most attention and support and likely to get it's bios updated earlier/more often.

3 months from now we'll find out there are 1-2 genuine stinkers out of all the motherboards, ones that need a completely new revision to be any good, there will be a dozen really good midrange boards, both B350 and x370, which overclock well and get very good memory overclocks, then there will be the £250 boards, that will get 2% higher cpu clocks and 2% higher memory overclocks. THat is the most likely scenario because that is how every new platform/new cpu architecture has previously played out. X270/Kaby is not a new platform or architecture, hell Skylake isn't a 'new' architecture, it's a small iteration from Broadwell.

Lastly, an important point is talking about performance, is 3200Mhz offering any performance benefit at all over say 2666Mhz? Some chips simply don't provide more performance with higher memory, internal memory controller dividers can be triggered and cause lower performance.

1) Keep in mind that both aforementioned boards are highend (G5 and Hero). Both are claiming similar levels of of memory overclocking support. Not all boards will offer the same.
2) Maximum potentional memory frequency can be limited by a number of factors. Cheaper SKUs contain less PCB layers which can have a large impact. Vendors also use different rule sets, making things either more passable or more difficult depending on the latency direction. Using 2 DIMMs makes things easier.

Bottom line, if you want to hit 3000-3200 at passable settings, you're probably going to have to pay up.

Caporegime
1) Keep in mind that both aforementioned boards are highend (G5 and Hero). Both are claiming similar levels of of memory overclocking support. Not all boards will offer the same.
2) Maximum potentional memory frequency can be limited by a number of factors. Cheaper SKUs contain less PCB layers which can have a large impact. Vendors also use different rule sets, making things either more passable or more difficult depending on the latency direction. Using 2 DIMMs makes things easier.

Bottom line, if you want to hit 3000-3200 at passable settings, you're probably going to have to pay up.

Again, as yet there is no proof 3200Mhz is faster, there is no information on what timings Asus has enabled to get the memory that high, drop to 2t maybe. Various links suggest that Gigabyte's B350 is getting updated bioses for improved ddr4 support, going against your theory that you have to pay big to get good memory support.

£170 Z170, ddr4 3400 support, Asus, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-650-as.html

£115 Asus, z170 ddr4 3466 support https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-645-as.html

hmm, weird, have to pay up for more memory support I heard somewhere.

Asus £209, ddr 4 3400 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-651-as.html

Gigabyte £450 ddr4 3400 support https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ket-1151-ddr4-eatx-motherboard-mb-525-gi.html

Sorry but, bull, for a decade memory support has been pretty damn similar be it a £100 board or a £250 board, but right now, as of Zen, now only £250 boards support good memory, I call bull.

More, Asrock Z270 £115 ddr 4 3733 support https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-14s-ak.html

ASrock Z270 £200 ddr4 3733 support https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...1151-ddr4-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-14j-ak.html

So even current gen Intel, the low end and high end boards have broadly speaking the same memory speed support. 95% of the stuff motherboard vendors add to the high end boards sounds good and does little. It's why the £100 board can achieve almost identical performance to the £400 board, you're talking about spending a huge amount for a marginal performance gain in most cases, extremely marginal memory overclock gains. It's not exactly like paying £80 for a monster power cable... but it's not far off. They want to make higher margins so need to find things to convince customers to pay for.

Again in 20 years of overclocking, working in various places, testing and overclocking hundreds of systems I've seen exceptionally small differences between the more basic overclocking boards and the ones that claim they can clean the kitchen, put your kids to bed and wash the car that cost a hell of a lot more. There is no reason to believe that all of a sudden, only £250 boards will have good overclocking or memory support and cheaper boards won't have anything, it's NEVER worked like that before and zero reason for it to work like that now.

Then something interesting.

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_r...e4dceadceddae3c5b78aba9cf99ca191b7c4f9c9&l=en

Sisoft results giving 33.99GB/s for Zen at 2133Mhz, Skylake gets around 32GB/s.... at 2666Mhz, and 26.1GB/s at 2133Mhz memory. Zen is absolutely phenomenal IMC performance, literally theoretical performance at 2133Mhz is 34.128GB/s.

I've literally pointed this out several times in the past couple of weeks, rumours of insanely efficient IMC also goes hand in hand with running lower speeds.

If AMD gets the same performance at 2666Mhz as Intel does at 3200Mhz... then expecting 3200Mhz just because Intel can do it is arbitrary. Everyone is jumping to conclusions, no one knows that Asus 3200Mhz isn't 2T and way lower bandwidth efficiency.

HAswell was faster at 2400Mhz than 2600Mhz because above 2400Mhz the IMC efficiency tanked badly. You need the ENTIRE picture to judge of 2666Mhz support is slow or fast, just because 2666Mhz seems slow in comparison to Skylake, doesn't mean it's not actually awesome on Zen.

Soldato
Not sure if it's worth being up that high, so yes you would need to evaluate the performance once everything drops.

Like I said, there are a few reasons. You would need to purchase a lower end board and try and overclock the kits yourself, there is nobody stopping people doing this. Comparing Intel platforms might not be the best comparison. That said, the limitations imposed at an electrical level are not bull.

Yes the platform is new, so some vendors are still in a state of flux / have lesser resources to tackle these things. ROG have some of the best people in the industry, what OCUK have said here with the Hero only supports that.

Back
Top Bottom