• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

sunlitsix said:
is it possible to use an AC Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler without the IHS?

The freezer has a clip style mount i think so you would need to modify the mount so you can lower the cooler down. I found it a bit of a hassle when modifying a mount for a ninja

well i got it off after the 19000th attempt :p
it is a thick beast aint it!
dscf2288mediumwd9.jpg

as for modding the cooler, i just inserted 2 coins here :
rotate2hq6.jpg

this made the clamp tighter, so contact with the core is perfect :)

time to push the cpu to 2.7Ghz and beyond :D

sunlitsix said:
well i got it off after the 19000th attempt :p
it is a thick beast aint it!
dscf2288mediumwd9.jpg

as for modding the cooler, i just inserted 2 coins here :
rotate2hq6.jpg

this made the clamp tighter, so contact with the core is perfect :)

time to push the cpu to 2.7Ghz and beyond :D

Well done. Make sure the coins cant fall out or could short the board or gpu card below it.

Bigstan said:
It doesn't take much. All you need to do is file a couple of millimetres off the feet on the bottom of the mount.

Stan :)

This isnt such a good idea as there are small electrical components around the socket that would then be getting put under pressure

Read this thread last night,

Operated this morning.

Went ok (when i could stop my hands shaking)!

I have an artic cooler freezer pro,

i just popped off the black plastic cap and put a 50p coin under it!

The coin is not as thick as the IHS, about 1-2 mm less, but the pressure felt

ok when i remounted the cooler, though it ws a little fiddly to align.

Temps are down only about 2c and still can't get over 2400, even with 1.525v

Keeps failing on one core! :(

Might try to refit it tomorrow. Will the temps go down when the paste cures?

Update!

Removed the cooler, took out coin and removed the lip around the plastic

cap with a dremmel so it's flat. Put the old IHS in the coins place.

Also lapped the surface of the cooler (the finish was terible!)

Had to use a bit more pressure to install, Ran the S&M test

Passed 2500 at 1.5v 47c under load! (could'nt do 2450 at 1.55 before)

I will prime it now, then 2.5 at a lower v core, then maybe higher fsb.

Last edited:
Can a Swiftech Apogee Extreme Performance Universal Waterblock (WC-000-SW) be fited after the IHS is removed? mght do this just fro something to do as my crap 3700SD wont do more than 2.65 and i doubt its temps as its WCed and needs 1.55V (max for my mobo) for 2.65.

Katoom said:
Removed the cooler, took out coin and removed the lip around the plastic

cap with a dremmel so it's flat. Put the old IHS in the coins place.

you sir, are a genious! ill try that :)

result! that worked v. well i replaced the coins with the IHS, now its stable at 2.6Ghz 1.5v idle at 34ºc load at 38ºc

Last edited:
sunlitsix said:
you sir, are a genious! ill try that :)

result! that worked v. well i replaced the coins with the IHS, now its stable at 2.6Ghz 1.5v idle at 34ºc load at 38ºc

No genius, just time on my hands!

It was your post that made me do the mod, so i thank you.

The mod was a bit risky (could have killed my new cpu + freezer pro)

but my temps are down and my clock is higher.

And the mod has'nt cost me 50p anymore!

My wpcw still needs 1.525v to get to 2.5 though, but only 41c load.

Last edited:
Jokester said:
Be aware that removing the IHS also changes the height of the processor in the socket, if you using a clip on air cooler doing this is not advisable.

If your on water or phase then it can be fairly easy to adjust the height of the block/head to suit.

Jokester

Sorry, bit noob here: the central core is definately higher than the smaller bits and pieces around it so what's the prob doing this for a clip down air cooler h/s and fan? - which isn't oversized.

Two issues, many sockets are higher at the back where the lever is so it will come into contact with block if it is bigger than the chip.

The second is that for blocks that use a standard clip on mount they no longer contact the core with adequate pressure, meaning you will actually get higher temperatures.

Jokester

Thanks for your speedy answer.
Point 1 - that's OK my H/S base won't hit that.
Point 2 - Is there a mod that can be done to the clip mechanism - like bending it?

I'm keen to do this as my temps are well high (typically CPU 40 Mobo 40 on tick over) but I like a quiet system as I sit next to it day in day out.

I've just done this. Cut my hand twice lol. Anyway...

Before
Idle Load
Core 1 - 47C 59C
Core 2 - 35C 46C

After
Idle Load
Core 1 - 42C 50C
Core 2 - 31C 40C

Question is, why am I still getting about a 10C spread between cores??

X2-4400 at 2.64 1.4v and a TT Big Typhoon

The BT uses a screw down clamp. First make sure its clamped down evenly on both sides. To be honest though its going to make very little difference and would not explain 10 degrees. You have knocked a lot of your temps from ihs removal. Does the hotter core fail before the cooler core? On mine the hotter core (2 degrees) is the more stabler of the two - could just be dodgy mounting of the heat sensor

great guide dont really need the extra cooling though and im already sick to death of cutting my hands on cases never mind finger chopping blades lol :D

Back
Top Bottom