• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

Don
OP
You do need to apply a fair bit of force, the nearest I can come to describe it is if you were cutting a thick, hard bit of cheddar. Because of the force you need to be careful with using the knife obviously and also from damaging the pins or internal components if the knife slipped.

Jokester

Man of Honour
DTR 3400+ with Thermaltake Golden Orb 2

Have just got hold of a AMD64 3400+ DTR cpu and was planning on using my Thermaltake Golden Orb 2 on it.

I have read suggestions of putting a copper shim between cpu core and heatsink to make up for any height difficulties because of no ihs

The Golden Orb has " spring mounts " to fix to backplate so looks o.k.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice

Cheers.

Associate
mi9tchy said:
would this be able to work with a zalman 9500?

Jokester said:
Assuming that it doesn't use the retention clips but instead a pillar method what you need to check is if the base of the HS juts out over the top of the back of the socket (where it says Socket 939). If it does you may likely have problems with getting good contact on the CPU.

The other issue is whether the mounting mechanism can deal with the extra 3-4mm. Most should be able to without problem but you might need to use a washer or two on the pillars.

Jokester

on the dfi nf4 ultra-d, the cam block is a non-issue because it is already lower than the surface of the naked core ;)

applies to 3500+ venice and 146 opterons at least...

Soldato
Jokester, any ideas who I'd need to check with to see if I could pop the top and get good contact?

Aquacomputer block on a AN8...

Do I check with Abit, or do I check with Aquacomputer?

If it's simply down to the size of the block... it completely covers the ZIF socket.

Associate
Scoobie Dave said:
I tried doing this mod last night using a scalpel blade, but the blade im sure was to thick. I did not think you could get much thinner than a scalpel blade? Any suggestions. Obviously I was quite warey when I was running the blade round the cpu and not applying much force, but I just could not get the blade in really. Am I right in assuming that you dont have to apply much force when your running the blade round?

Tried this myself with 2 different sizes of scalpel and both were too thick to fit below the ISH. Ended up using a double edge razor blade from the supermarket which worked well. Like Jokester said, you need a fair amount of force to cut through the rubber stuff.

Soldato
My Opteron was running from 27 idle to 67+ load using a Vapochill micro with a 92mm Tornado fan so I guessed the IHS was the problem.

Taking off the IHS was "interesting" I thought caffeine gave you the shakes ... Anyhow I used an old fashioned razor blade and went through the rubber quite afew circuits, I wasnt aware that the 'breather hole' covered so much of one of the sides and was shaken when the blade went through nothing, and was worried abou "what lies beneath". Anyhow after a few laps with the razor blade a scalpel blade could fit under the IHS and evenually I could use the scalpel blade to lever up the IHS off the CPU.

After taking off the IHS the Vapochill would no longer clamp down so I sanded down the "cpu retention mechanism" AKA the black bracket that fits over the socket. I made sure the fit was good but temps were different but no better with idle at 36c and load 62+.

So the cooler was obviously the problem (unless the chip was duff). I've just replaced it with a Big Typhoon (IHS off) which fits well and has no need for the IHS, I've not seen temps go past 29c but have yet to run Prime, but I can heartily reccomend this cooler with IHS less CPU's.

/Edit Load temps have never exceeded 36c, will need to experiment more with overclocking , cant get over how quiet and effective this cooler is

Last edited:
Soldato
Scoobie Dave said:
Looks like im gonna have to get an old fashioned razor blade. Off to the supermarket tomorrow. . .
Use some electrical tape to wrap round the lower blade, if you leave about 4mm on the top blade that should give you enough.

Associate
Well i have just took the IHS off my 3800 X2. Many thanks to the decent guide. :D

My temps have definatly droped around 2-4oC load and around 2-3oC idle.

Associate
Im a little stuck as im building a second rig and i need to know if the Zalaman 9500 Heatsink will fit onto my Optreron 146 if i remove the IHS.

Soldato
Turns out I can use it fine - well I think so anyway - just switched to an opty, and had a look at what's under the waterblock - the ZIP has hardly any profile.

Permabanned
Just to tell people with a DD TDX:
I took the heatspreader off my athlon 64 4000+ and it dropped the load temps about 3-4C.
But the main thing is that i did not have to make any changes to the cpu slot or the water block for it to fit. I see someone had to sand the slot but i found this not to be a problem.

Soldato
Make one side blunt by using something like a sharpening stone or a brick etc. When you get them for industrial use, they have one side covered in by a metal strip.

Soldato
omg god, i got it off, only took 5mins with a razor, got my nail under one of the corners and "pop".
that was with the venice. now to do it with the opteron.

Just a quick one, are the resisters in the same place on an opteron?

Back
Top Bottom