• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

I acquired an opteron 146 CAYBE today and it worked fine at 3Ghz but the load temperature on the Vapochill kept increasing from -15 to 10 so I decided to remove the IHS. There is no noticeable damage but the furthest I can get is detecting 1024MB of RAM and then the computer turns itself off. Somehow I don't thinks it a coldbug.

:o really??? you fancy sending it my way to have a bit of a mess with it to see if i can get it to work?

what mobo are you using?

Last edited:
More 'core safe' with pads:) ..remember XP?

picture1117ta.jpg

The chip reached the BIOS finally and it now shuts down when its almost finished detecting the drives. The chip feels cold when I touch immediately afterwards. Is the problem still temperature related, condensation shorting a circuit or is the chip damaged?
http://www.zen12084.zen.co.uk/IHSremoved.jpg Some of the green part of the chip was chaffed away and I used white spirit to help remove the resin.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought you weren't serious.

If you're using a Vapochill you must increase the reach of the head to ensure that it makes full contact with the core otherwise it will overheat quickly.

Also, what on earth have you coated the surface mount components with? It also looks as if you've also burnt the PCB with something?

Jokester

Back
Top Bottom