Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Gaming / 3D Monitor

Associate
OP
They are true 120hz. They don't do any frame doubling techniques it's not interpolation.

This means you can get 120 FPS, which equates to far more accurate turning in fps games etc. Currently if you try and pull off a fast 180 turn in a fps game maybe 10 frames will be shown if your lucky, now you will get 20 which is a huge jump. Have ago, pull off a fast turn, you can see each frame on a standard lcd. You dont take anywhere near 1/4 of a second to do a turn.

Bascially they perform exactly as a crt used too, except without the flicker. Hence why the shutterglass's now work again, but with the bonus of full driver and hardware support and without the eye strain caused by the 60hz to each eye of crts. The shutter glasses are just a optional addon.

Caporegime
I'm trying to find out if they are true 120Hz, but everytime I read anything, http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3496&p=2

like that, it suggests that 120hz is all interpolated, and 240hz, from samsung specifcally will be double interpolated, also hinting that its 120hz panels are all interpolated.

I'll possibly go for a 120hz 1920x1200(at least its mentioning one of those is due this quarter) if they are real 120hz, the rest seems a waste to me.

I am wondering if the delay in 120hz screens isn't in companies waiting for oled screens, reduced power etc before they ramp up some better lcd's. there were a few 120hz screens on show last year and they never appeared :(

EDIT:_ http://www.viewsonic.com/fuhzion/

viewsonic have added info to their website, but nothing to say how they are doing 120hz either. Lg have announced a 27" version 120hz screen to which tftcentral is guessing might be a ips screen rather than TN aswell so maybe some nicer quality panels later in the year aswell?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They aren't really any better for gaming than any TFT out now - sure higher update rate but the residual image and hence motion ghosting compared to a TFT is only marginally improved and this is the real problem for fast fps games.

While they say they are true 120Hz panels personally it didn't look as smooth as 120fps on a CRT to me.

Caporegime
nope, not till we see reviews on the screen itself and not the glasses part. No interest in the 3d anyway, I have zero trouble with depth perception and feeling the 3d anyway. I want smoother less eye straining gaming with no ghosting or tearing, i'd take that easily WAY before i want 3d, and it is a choice you can't have both.

But these screens were ready a year ago and only got launched with the glasses, makes me think it could well be pee poor 120hz that doesn't matter seeing as each eye only see's one frame each. 120hz with separate frames would be what you want while the glasses would mean 60 frames doubled would work fine, but would suck without the glasses.

Not paying for a 120hz screen, to get the same effect as a 60hz screen.

I'd seriously wait for reviews, hell they might say they are uber and a massive improvement, they might not though. Especially wouldn't risk it by shipping from the states just to get a screen you can't easily return if it sucks. UK wise at least you could sell it on without warranty issues if you didn't like it, maybe even send it back under distance selling.

EDIT:_ I could easily be wrong, I hope I am, but normally you'll find screen reviews before screen releases, or at least very close. If its widely available and isn't being review sans the glasses, methinks even the screen makers might not think they offer anything new without the glasses. If it was spanking new technology bringing a massively increased level of visual quality that a 60hz screen can't match, and therefore all your competition can't match. Wouldn't you be having them reviewed everywhere and shouting from the internet equivilent of a rooftop about how good they are? Especially while you're the only one with them out so highest profit + no competition stage of sales?

Last edited:
Associate
Nvidia 3D glasses and monitors to hit EU by Cebit (3-8 March 2009)

Nvidia 3D stereo glasses and 3D monitors will be available in Europe by March time, and all should be ready for Cebit.
Nvidia chose to sell this technology first in the USA, and according to Nvidia, the first sales numbers are looking good. The technology certainly looks good, but at the same time it costs an arm and leg and it almost looks like Nvidia is trying to compensate it poor Q4 2008 figures with some super cool but extremely expensive technology.
Some industry insiders remind us that every new technology tends to start expensive but with time, it drives down to more acceptable prices. We know that some of partners were not particularly happy about Nvidia only branding on the glasses and while some will be happy to sell, some are not interested at all.
If you are based in Europe, you have two choices, first is to order one from US or the second one to wait for March and get yours.

source: fudzilla.com

Associate
for those unsure if it will really be better in fast games. it will, providing input lagg etc is solid. You'll get so much less tearing on this panel providing you have a GPU fast enough to render over 120fps constant. This is the issue that's been holding back LCD's for serious gaming all these years, not so much input lag and response times (which on a good monitor is now low enough).

But what i really want to see is an IPS panel at 120 hz with low input lag to boot (probably will because of IPS). When this happens i'll wet my pants :p

Associate
Finally. I can go back to 3d. Been missing it for a few years since I 'upgraded' to an LCD monitor from a CRT.

I tell you guys, shutterglasses 3d technology is SUPERB!
Playing a game like FEAR with the lights out takes you RIGHT INTO THE GAME WORLD and it's damned scary!

I remember playing the original Far Cry and reaching out my hand to try to catch the insects buzzing around the bushes. You feel like you can grab anything in the game. It's great to duck down behind a box, occasionally popping up and taking potshots at enemies as it actually FEELS like you're behind a box.

Because the stereo effect seems to impart more detail to the gameworld, it's even okay to lower the ingame resolution to increase the frame rate. If you run games in 1920 res like I usually do, you won't miss the resolution if you lower it to 1600 or even 1280.

And if games start being written with 3d in mind, I look forward to some devastating 'out of screen' effects.

I look forward to the 120Hz monitors going on sale here. But then I've got to swap my 4870X2 (my first ATI card) back to an Nvidia one.

Back
Top Bottom