Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Gaming / 3D Monitor

Soldato
Ahhh why does the 120hz screen have to come in a bad package. I want a 24" IPS or VA panel with 120hz, not a 22" 1680*1050 TN panel! I'm still kinda contemplating between getting this or getting the 24" NEC.

Edit: Actually, it's probably better to wait until 120hz has matured a little. When/if I do a screen upgrade, I'll get it then and adopt the next technology. Maybe when OLED's come round or something.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Associate
OP
Unfortunately the options for Ati are more limited.

A company called iz3d have there own propitiatory monitor which works with both ati and nvidia, however it suffers from poor 2D quality, severe ghosting issues, has to be imported from the USA, which ends up costing more than the samsung-nv solution, and no European support if anything goes wrong.

We are lucky for once that this time around the bundle offered by ocuk in fact costs slightly less than the US package if using a $-£ conversion.

Soldato
The Nvidia stereo mode is a joke, (possibly) heavy glasses that need batteries that basically cause you to wink one eye then the other. With the "3d" mode you still only get 60fps because each eye only see's half the frames but without the 120hz screen's you'd be at an incredibly painful 30fps all the time. Either way the glasses need batteries which will weigh something, and need constantly recharging or replacing, probably not be very comftable due to glasses and battery weight and the tech gives you headaches with longer use. nvidia does it again :p

Heavy glasses?! The term 'Man up' springs to mind! You never worn a pair of Oakley Thumps?

Soldato
I really fancied one of these, however not sure I can justify spending £400 on a 3D display that is only actually visible 12% of the time and has noticeable flicker. From the xbitlabs review...

As you can see, the lens is translucent only 2 milliseconds out of each 16.7 milliseconds. That is, most of the time both lenses of the 3D glasses are shut and the monitor has 6.3 milliseconds (because the frames go at a rate of 120Hz, i.e. one frame each 8.3 milliseconds) to change the picture.

Unfortunately, such a low on-off time ratio (with a short period of translucence and a long period of opaqueness) leads to a 60Hz flicker. The perception of the flicker depends on the particular person. Some people may take no notice of it while others will have sore eyes, but the flicker is indeed perceptible.

Back
Top Bottom