Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Soldato
When I enable Freesync Ultimate Engine when I'm on the desktop screen image breaks up into a garbled mess, interesting if I do it in a game running freesync and toggle it from normal/ultimate it's fine.

Soldato
Apart from these couple of minor niggles (which I sure can be resolved) I'm loving this screen, so much desktop ;) I came from an Acer XR341CK and it's certainly feels a better screen than that, I used to run 3 x Dell 2407s before that and I now realise how much I missed there extra "real estate" :)

I've been playing DOOM 2016 with my VEGA 64 AIO and it can pretty much pump out 100FPS at Ultra setting, testament to Vulkan and how good a AAA title DOOM was, it feels epic.

Soldato
Sure:

1. It's the same vertical resolution as the XR341CK but the extra horizontal res makes it feel amazing a "super immersive", for me the extra desktop space feels great and is like running multiple monitors with the benefit of no bezels
2. These are all a little subjective and qualitative but colours seem better, txt seems sharper and the extra framerate to 100hz (which I keep as I want 10 bit colour) are all noticeably better than the ACER
3. The menu system on the Samsung is a dream next to XR341CK (which honestly felt like somebody had gone out of their way to design something frustrating and fiddley)
4. I can came at game at 3440x1440 and still have lots of room for monitoring tools and a browser etc.

Currently I've disabled HDR and WCG as I wanted to get my head around the panel before jumping into that particular bucket of frogs ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I also used to own a XR341CK.
The contrast is way better on this one without losing on colour reproduction which makes sense since this is a VA panel :).
Hdr is pretty good on the screen the backlight dimming is a bit lackluster so you dont have the contrast of a full array local dimming tv but the extended color range and luminosity makes it a really good experience nonetheless.

Soldato
It's certainly feeling like a "step up" from the XR341CK (which is no way is a bad monitor and I've happy owner for 3 years), obviously it's a "fair chunk of change" but it feels worth the money. On my monitor the back light is infinity more even than the XR341CK which was a bit IPS glowey in the corners.

I guess my only other niggle at the moment is that due to its size and the fact my current desk isn't "super study" the monitor can jiggle a little if I'm typing furiously ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Yes it is an heavy beast. My amazon basic arm cant support it completely so It rests on my speaker with abit of padding in between.
Not perfect but it works :).

Associate
I also used to own a XR341CK.
The contrast is way better on this one without losing on colour reproduction which makes sense since this is a VA panel :).
Hdr is pretty good on the screen the backlight dimming is a bit lackluster so you dont have the contrast of a full array local dimming tv but the extended color range and luminosity makes it a really good experience nonetheless.

How can you say Raprorpg, that HDR is pretty good? Many of us are sharing the same bad experience with washed out colors in games in comparison with SDR. Maybe you think some games, where HDR doesn´t need to be activated in Windows. Posts like this are making things worse for us, cause Samsung can think, that HDR is OK and doesn´t give us the Firmware update, which we need asap.
When HDR is really good on your panel, then share your setup/settings please. Thx.

Associate
How can you say Raprorpg, that HDR is pretty good? Many of us are sharing the same bad experience with washed out colors in games in comparison with SDR. Maybe you think some games, where HDR doesn´t need to be activated in Windows. Posts like this are making things worse for us, cause Samsung can think, that HDR is OK and doesn´t give us the Firmware update, which we need asap.
When HDR is really good on your panel, then share your setup/settings please. Thx.

How can I say this well because the experience is good, and you know that you dont need to be so aggressive especially if you end up asking me for something.

But Hey let me humor you.

In order to have a proper hdr signal on a radeon card (cant speak for nvidia as I dont have one) You need to set up the max refresh rate to 100hz in order to enable the 10 bit color depth ( you cannot have real hdr at 8 bit).
If you really want 120hz use chroma sub-sampling in games it wont matter much as long as you don't have a lot of text.

The next step is to get hdr properly set up in games, some like tomb raider will require to have hdr enabled in windows in order to have the option available (this is a pain but it is what it is) other like the division 2, resident evil 2 or ac Odyssey don't look at the windows setting and are able to look at the screen capability directly. If you are on a radeon card try to enable the freesync 2 hdr option when you can as this will improve the latency.

Like I said the experience is not perfect the low number of dimming zones doesn't allow you to get perfect black and very high contrast but the screen in my set up doesn't have any issues with color rendering.

I have a Sony XF9005 and where it wins largely in contrast, I am getting around the same color output.

Associate
How can I say this well because the experience is good, and you know that you dont need to be so aggressive especially if you end up asking me for something.

But Hey let me humor you.

In order to have a proper hdr signal on a radeon card (cant speak for nvidia as I dont have one) You need to set up the max refresh rate to 100hz in order to enable the 10 bit color depth ( you cannot have real hdr at 8 bit).
If you really want 120hz use chroma sub-sampling in games it wont matter much as long as you don't have a lot of text.

The next step is to get hdr properly set up in games, some like tomb raider will require to have hdr enabled in windows in order to have the option available (this is a pain but it is what it is) other like the division 2, resident evil 2 or ac Odyssey don't look at the windows setting and are able to look at the screen capability directly. If you are on a radeon card try to enable the freesync 2 hdr option when you can as this will improve the latency.

Like I said the experience is not perfect the low number of dimming zones doesn't allow you to get perfect black and very high contrast but the screen in my set up doesn't have any issues with color rendering.

I have a Sony XF9005 and where it wins largely in contrast, I am getting around the same color output.

I was not aggresive, if you feel it so, then I am sorry. I have Nvidia Card, so that´s maybe the difference, or the reason in this case. I have it set it on 100Hz an 10bit and like you said, HDR has to be set properly in game to make it look good. In AC Odyssey it looks +-good, cause there is no need to set it on in Windows. It Looks bad only in games where HDR has to be activated in Windows before start like f.e. Tomb Raider. or Forza Horizon 4. The colours are not so inaccurate, but little bit faded, washed out, not vivid/juicy. When I switch it to SDR, everything becomes much more alive and you see these shiny Qled Colors. It is possible, that the black reproduction affects other colors in HDR, I don´t know, but I have XF9005 too and the colors on TV are much more vibrant as on Samsung CRG9 in HDR, here I am 100% sure. Thank you for your answer.

Last edited:
Associate
I was not aggresive, if you feel it so, then I am sorry. I have Nvidia Card, so that´s maybe the difference, or the reason in this case. I have it set it on 100Hz an 10bit and like you said, HDR has to be set properly in game to make it look good. In AC Odyssey it looks +-good, cause there is no need to set it on in Windows. It Looks bad only in games where HDR has to be activated in Windows before start like f.e. Tomb Raider. or Forza Horizon 4. The colours are not so inaccurate, but little bit faded, washed out, not vivid/juicy. When I switch it to SDR, everything becomes much more alive and you see these shiny Qled Colors. It is possible, that the black reproduction affects other colors in HDR, I don´t know, but I have XF9005 too and the colors on TV are much more vibrant as on Samsung CRG9 in HDR, here I am 100% sure. Thank you for your answer.

No worries it is sometimes hard to get your point across online :).

The issue could then be an issue with the nvidia + windows hdr + the screen.

Have you tried tomb raider on your TV also? Because HDR does not necessarily means more vibrant and saturated colors it means that the screen can display en extended range of color. more color at the same time and have improved contrast. And it all depends on the game hdr implementation as well.

For exemple in tomb raider for exemple I find that the green of the leaves is way more saturated in sdr than in hdr. In hdr the leaves have more what I would call real like color (sorry it is hard to find the words to explains). But if you look at a fire for exemple the sdr version doesn't pop out and looked more of a blob when the hdr version you can see all of the gradient from the heart in yellow to the exterior flames in bright red.

I really want to emphasize that HDR doesn't not mean necessarily an explosion of color like you see on samsung phone screens even if that's what we expect from all of the advertising :). For exemple the latest ratchet and clank on PS4 can look weird in HDR as you would expect just saturated colors everywhere, the game still have them but it is more subtle in its presentation.

Back
Top Bottom