Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Soldato
Quick (and probably stupid) question on this...

I’m leaning towards this monitor, and would be running it with an RTX 2080.

In many games the 2080 will struggle to supply a high FPS at such a high resolution.

If I were to select a lower resolution in game, UHD for example, would I then be able to run that game with borders and no performance hit compared to running it on a native UHD monitor?

Cheers...

Yes.

You'll probably just end up lowering the settings. Also you can just down res it to the CHG90 resolution and then aply nvidia sharpening which works quite well.

Associate
Just to let anyone know, whos been following my grumbles. Called Samsung, they said "Thats not right" to the clicking noise (regardless of the Ghosting on top of that). So I will be sending the monitor back, thats the 3rd Monitor that's been faulty!!

I have just noticed, though, OC has a new stock in - so I'm buying another one, that will make it 4. That just shows how wonderful this monitor is, when you get one that works. I could not go back to a smaller monitor.

4th time lucky, I hope!

Thanks.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FODi_cPdASLu_4HaA-PuhmDzywoVJE7J?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah. I'm trying to convince myself to buy an OLED TV at the moment but honestly this screen is where its at. Rainforest also have it back in stock so I've requested a replacement which they said they'll process. This one has two dead pixels.

its weird though as I have come around to a 55'' OLED intead but I'm not sure if it'll really compare to the intimacy of a monitor. not sure whether to just buy a 55'' OLED to see what its like.

Soldato
Yes.

You'll probably just end up lowering the settings. Also you can just down res it to the CHG90 resolution and then aply nvidia sharpening which works quite well.
Cheers (thumbs up emoji)

Sadly, although this seems to be by far the best ultrawide available at this price range, I've measured up and it's literally too big for my desk!

I'd have nowhere for my fancy new speakers :p

Caporegime
Yeah. I'm trying to convince myself to buy an OLED TV at the moment but honestly this screen is where its at. Rainforest also have it back in stock so I've requested a replacement which they said they'll process. This one has two dead pixels.

Hope you get a good one this time dude! Ironic that mine is OcUK B-Grade and pretty much perfect LOL :D

Associate
Just curious, how are yours being delivered? By general courier? I ordered mine from an online retailer, not Overclockers or rainforest, and it came direct from their supplier palletised on an 18ton curtainsider rather than through a courier van network. I wonder if how your items are being handled during shipping is causing issues. My screen was thankfully faultless on arrival, but getting it out if the box it felt frightfully delicate.

Associate
Just curious, how are yours being delivered? By general courier? I ordered mine from an online retailer, not Overclockers or rainforest, and it came direct from their supplier palletised on an 18ton curtainsider rather than through a courier van network. I wonder if how your items are being handled during shipping is causing issues. My screen was thankfully faultless on arrival, but getting it out if the box it felt frightfully delicate.

Hey mate - got it delivered from DPD - the same driver delivered two monitors to me and said "I would go pick up items directly if you can, I see how they chuck things about at the depo". That didn't fill me with confidence, and rightly so apparently. But, I'm pretty sure the poly casing packaging would have protected the monitor from being chucked around, those cracks are pretty bad, looks like something of a direct hit.

Ugh. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have some experience of the courier business, and would concur that items are not always best treated, large items like that would frequently be dropped into its side, slid across floors, chucked in van without extreme care etc. That said I've never had a problem with DPD.
Was very surprised when my turned up strapped to a pallet on a truck but now I'm grateful.
Keep trying, I was gutted when I accidentally broke my Rog Swift ultra-wide, but house insurance gave me enough to upgrade to this I love it. Hope you get a perfect one eventually.

Soldato
Hey mate - got it delivered from DPD - the same driver delivered two monitors to me and said "I would go pick up items directly if you can, I see how they chuck things about at the depo". That didn't fill me with confidence, and rightly so apparently. But, I'm pretty sure the poly casing packaging would have protected the monitor from being chucked around, those cracks are pretty bad, looks like something of a direct hit.

Ugh. :)

To be fair the issues which I've had such as 2 dead pixels, one stuck pixel in the middle of the screen and a dodgey cracking noise which never settled is unlikely to be due to poor handling and more likely just poor QA.

Associate
To be fair the issues which I've had such as 2 dead pixels, one stuck pixel in the middle of the screen and a dodgey cracking noise which never settled is unlikely to be due to poor handling and more likely just poor QA.

The 3rd monitor is going back because of the cracking noise, I recorded it and sent it to Samsung. They said that's definitely not right. Upon putting the 4th monitor away today, I looked at the poly inside the box and saw a big hole, then looked at the box there was a corrisponding hole. Someone at the depo hammered in a bit of iron or poll, or something similar, that went through the box, through the poly and hit the screen.

DPD.. Suck.

Soldato
Gave this monitor a go out of curiosity... how anyone deals with the flickering is beyond me. Freesync is just utterly broken with Nvidia GPUs on this monitor (when Ultimate Engine is turned on), although I'm reading it's an issue with many other Freesync monitors when used with Nvidia GPUs. I guess that's why their list of certified monitors is so small.

Caporegime
Gave this monitor a go out of curiosity... how anyone deals with the flickering is beyond me. Freesync is just utterly broken with Nvidia GPUs on this monitor (when Ultimate Engine is turned on), although I'm reading it's an issue with many other Freesync monitors when used with Nvidia GPUs. I guess that's why their list of certified monitors is so small.

I gather turning it to Standard helps it a great deal, just gotta tweak game settings to keep the fps over 70 I guess :(

Not ideal I know but a partial solution.

As an aside i started to get flickering in Division whereas there was none before, but it was at the height of summer and guessing it may of been a heat issue.

Soldato
I gather turning it to Standard helps it a great deal, just gotta tweak game settings to keep the fps over 70 I guess :(

Not ideal I know but a partial solution.

As an aside i started to get flickering in Division whereas there was none before, but it was at the height of summer and guessing it may of been a heat issue.

Yes, but good luck maintaining a 70FPS+ average in all games, even with a 2080Ti lol! This is practically 4K res, so simply not feasible unless you really crank down settings, more than just a tweak. This resolution needs Freesync to function properly.

I don't think it's a fault with the CRG9 per se, as it seems many Freesync monitors suffer with this when used with Nvidia GPUs. Some suggestion that it could be resolved with drivers, but I don't know if that's likely. Until then, prospective buyers of this monitor just need to be fully aware of its limitations... i.e with an Nvidia GPU, you basically don't have use of full range Freesync (or LFC), only within the 70-120FPS range... unless you're happy with flickering. :rolleyes:

Associate

I had a few issues with flickering until I limited the FPS to the same as the monitors refresh rate with RivaTurner.

Soldato
I had a few issues with flickering until I limited the FPS to the same as the monitors refresh rate with RivaTurner.

At the high end? The issue with flickering on the CRG9 seems to be at the lower end (with Ultimate Engine enabled), and is clearly exhibited in the Nvidia Pendulum demo at the lower range. With Standard Engine enabled, it's fine, but then you effectively have no VRR below 70FPS, which is absolutely daft on a monitor at this resolution. Seems to be a case of pick your poison... flickering or tearing.

Soldato
Dude, I run Division 2 at 5120x1440p using a damned 5700XT! I am the *king* of turning down detail atm :( :p

This monitor was designed more for AMD GPUs anyway... if they actually had one capable of running this res properly it would be a dream combo. Sadly, a 2080Ti can't even manage it. Monitors are such a joke these days, really.

Back
Top Bottom