Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Associate
Great review.

I will be returning my 5th panel, as the cracking noises are annoying me - they are constant and not just when playing games - I have had 3 panels with no cracking noises, so I cannot put up with it on this panel. Samsung's QA is atrocious, if you get a decent panel without any buzzing/cracking noises, then lucky you. I have never seen such poor quality in an expensive monitor such as this, but its a real shame as if these QA issues were not so numerous it would be a great panel.

Soldato
Great review.

I will be returning my 5th panel, as the cracking noises are annoying me - they are constant and not just when playing games - I have had 3 panels with no cracking noises, so I cannot put up with it on this panel. Samsung's QA is atrocious, if you get a decent panel without any buzzing/cracking noises, then lucky you. I have never seen such poor quality in an expensive monitor such as this, but its a real shame as if these QA issues were not so numerous it would be a great panel.

Me too. I'm going to get in touch with Amazon on Sunday and get both screens picked up for Wednesday. I struggle to accept compromises at this price point.

Its been a nice experience but ultimately for the price tag, I can probably say goodbye to the better FOV and VA black levels and say hello to a monitor like the AW 34incher.

I'll be reviewing the C9 OLED next and actually comapring it to the CRG9. It has the same horizontal physical length albiet not the aspect ratio so it will be cool to see how it feels. OLED subpixel layouts usually mean they can ride a lower resolution a tad better.

Associate
Me too. I'm going to get in touch with Amazon on Sunday and get both screens picked up for Wednesday. I struggle to accept compromises at this price point.

Its been a nice experience but ultimately for the price tag, I can probably say goodbye to the better FOV and VA black levels and say hello to a monitor like the AW 34incher.

I'll be reviewing the C9 OLED next and actually comapring it to the CRG9. It has the same horizontal physical length albiet not the aspect ratio so it will be cool to see how it feels. OLED subpixel layouts usually mean they can ride a lower resolution a tad better.

Good call. I'm pretty gutted, I would love the panel if only I got one that actually worked. I'm sitting there playing, while the Mrs watches a film on my 65 C7 (lovely TV, you can't go wrong with the C9) and every 20s getting a click, for this price it should be silent. Awful QA!

I'm looking to get the Predator CG437K, while not as encompassing or big, it will be big enough and it has great specs and hopefully it will be better quality. Just cannot source one from anywhere.

Soldato
Good call. I'm pretty gutted, I would love the panel if only I got one that actually worked. I'm sitting there playing, while the Mrs watches a film on my 65 C7 (lovely TV, you can't go wrong with the C9) and every 20s getting a click, for this price it should be silent. Awful QA!

I'm looking to get the Predator CG437K, while not as encompassing or big, it will be big enough and it has great specs and hopefully it will be better quality. Just cannot source one from anywhere.

Having tried the CRG9 myself and endured constant flickering in Freesync Ultimate Engine mode, I came to realise that while it has many redeeming features, the lack of any usable VRR functionality below 70FPS with an Nvidia GPU just kills it

The Acer CG437K is not available yet... I've heard November, but nothing confirmed. I'd temper your enthusiasm though... the Asus XG438Q is using virtually the same panel (only being HDR-600 as opposed to HDR-1000 on the Acer) and falls well short of expectations... and compared to the VA on the CRG9, a far more inferior incarnation. I think it's wishful thinking that the CG437K will be any better, but we shall see... I'd be prepared for disappointment though.

Soldato

I think I'm going to go OLED.

I love the panel and love the screen but my couple of month with CRG9s has seen me doing a hell of tinkering researching how to get games working and relying/hoping someones got a fix. The recent paranormala activity was luckily patched in with support by a modder. Witcher 3 i had to hex edit. dragon age inquisiton i'd say 20% of the time i forget flawless isn't running and i have to close it and restart with flawless.

also im playing dai on the 32:9 now and its so annoying to play because the HUD is in the far left corner so i literally have to turn my head. similarly with conversations, the camera zooms awkwardly.

for it to not be awkward or strenuous to turn my head, i have to sit further away from the monitor, which at that point i could easily accomdate a screen with a bigger vertical real estate.

Its so weird as for some games, when it works, its amazing. I remember booting up PES when I first got this and being like wow! Similarly I was really impressed with far cry primal.

But having to hex edit TW3 for cut scenes, seeing artifacts popping in for the modded cut scenes in 32:9.. its not at all bad, but its a bit distracting.

Last edited:
Associate
Having tried the CRG9 myself and endured constant flickering in Freesync Ultimate Engine mode, I came to realise that while it has many redeeming features, the lack of any usable VRR functionality below 70FPS with an Nvidia GPU just kills it

The Acer CG437K is not available yet... I've heard November, but nothing confirmed. I'd temper your enthusiasm though... the Asus XG438Q is using virtually the same panel (only being HDR-600 as opposed to HDR-1000 on the Acer) and falls well short of expectations... and compared to the VA on the CRG9, a far more inferior incarnation. I think it's wishful thinking that the CG437K will be any better, but we shall see... I'd be prepared for disappointment though.

Think I will just have to stick with my PG348Q for the time being, it sucks though. When working, without issue, the CRG90 is amazing - extremely immersive and something to behold. Will have to wait and see about the Acer, my hopes for a huge gaming monitor are being put on hold.

Soldato
Looking forward to that :)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-crazy-yes-time-to-get-some-burn-in.18866316/

I did it. The CRG9 comfortably lost. It only won points based on having 120hz at higher resolutions, a curved screen and much much better for productivity work due to the IR/Burn in risk.

The debate on how important the 120hz is at max resolution on the CRG9 is there.. as I don't remember my 2080 really ever getting there at all. Whilst once HDMI 2.1 comes out, the CRG9 will get there.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-crazy-yes-time-to-get-some-burn-in.18866316/

I did it. The CRG9 comfortably lost. It only won points based on having 120hz at higher resolutions, a curved screen and much much better for productivity work due to the IR/Burn in risk.

The debate on how important the 120hz is at max resolution on the CRG9 is there.. as I don't remember my 2080 really ever getting there at all. Whilst once HDMI 2.1 comes out, the CRG9 will get there.
Thanks. Will give that a read soon :)

Soldato
Thanks. Will give that a read soon :)

I just kept typing and it never stopped hhahahahaha.

I just tried to answer all the questions I've been asking myself hypothetically for the last couple of weeks.

My journey in monitors has started at a Electric 34'' UW, stopped off at an AW3481DW, then an CRG9, and now an LG OLED C9.

FFs.

Caporegime
"Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience display loss when resuming from sleep or hibernate when multiple displays are connected."

Just a heads-up, I have the above problem with my 5700XT and the Sammy, taken from their driver notes. Just hope they fix it soon!

Soldato
Don't suppose there is a Gsync version of this monitor due anytime soon, had a look at one of these the other day and it's sooooo big.

I don't believe Samsung have ever made a G-Sync monitor. Asus did do the 1080 version of the 49" after Samsung, but still with Freesync, so I think it's unlikely we'll ever see G-Sync.

Associate
Hi all,

Would appreciate some clarity as I keep reading some conflicting reports. Right now I have a 13inch MBP that plugs into a
SAMSUNG C34J791 Quad HD 34" Curved monitor via thunderbolt / usb type cable. Also plugged into that monitor is a daisy chain of 3 thunderbolt hard drives. Also plugged into the monitor is a PC using display port.

Using the above the MBP charges and displays on the monitor. Will this be the case with this 49inch samsung?
Is there anyway of plugging in the Thunderbolt drives so the MBP sees them? Or will I have to buy a thunderbolt dock?
If I use the display port from the PC will I get the max possible resolution? The graphics card is a RTX 2080Ti.

Thanks for any help.

Josh

Associate
Hi all,

Would appreciate some clarity as I keep reading some conflicting reports. Right now I have a 13inch MBP that plugs into a
SAMSUNG C34J791 Quad HD 34" Curved monitor via thunderbolt / usb type cable. Also plugged into that monitor is a daisy chain of 3 thunderbolt hard drives. Also plugged into the monitor is a PC using display port.

Using the above the MBP charges and displays on the monitor. Will this be the case with this 49inch samsung?
Is there anyway of plugging in the Thunderbolt drives so the MBP sees them? Or will I have to buy a thunderbolt dock?
If I use the display port from the PC will I get the max possible resolution? The graphics card is a RTX 2080Ti.

Thanks for any help.

Josh
There is no thunderbolt connector in this monitor so it won't work :)

Associate
There is no thunderbolt connector in this monitor so it won't work :)
Hi

Which part, the MBP charging or just the part about the thunderbolt drives? I assume though that if I bought a thunderbolt dock so the MBP went to the dock and so did the hardrives and then the dock went to the monitor that would work?

Thanks for any help.

Josh

Back
Top Bottom