Samsung 64GB 2.5" SATA-II MLC Solid State Hard Drive

Associate
And please could somebody post a link to ATTO version that works with vista 64bit, i downloaded few different versions last night but non of them worked

Soldato
Just got mine in the post today. I honestly did think they sent me an empty box, the foam is heavier then the drive! lol.

I thought it would have the word "Samsung" on the drive but it just has a sticker on one side and a nice metal look on the other.

Soldato
ah thats good to hear mate ;), after you nightmare with raid 0 i'm glad it was still worth the buy. my one should arrive today/tomorrow as it was posted yeasterday...do you mind letting me know what sort of applications did you install on SSd and what on your old HDD.

Thanks mate yeah. I think my mobo isn't 100% ; something not right, but I'm making a new comp at the end of the year anyway.

Well atm very minimal. Ie. With cache/history etc running off hdd.
Outlook express with account running off hdd.

I plan to just keep the os app pragrams on the ssd and documents/cache/mail on the hdd. As long as you have the exe of the programs you use a lot on the ssd then you're onto a winner and Anything that gets changed frequently in the prog. For example outlook express mail which gets hammered with database access and deletion new mail etc on the hdd.

Basically the skeleton of the program within means.

Dead space on ssd. But save files on hdd. Etc. :)

I like the ssds too as another reason to tinker.

Soldato
I'll post a benchmark later of one drive and any qs just ask.

Nightmare with trying to get raid going; tried everything.

Keyboard just doesn't work on raid screen ( intel matrix)or dos in bios but works on main bios screen. Strange - tried a different keyboard too.

Associate
Thanks mate yeah. I think my mobo isn't 100% ; something not right, but I'm making a new comp at the end of the year anyway.

Well atm very minimal. Ie. With cache/history etc running off hdd.
Outlook express with account running off hdd.

I plan to just keep the os app pragrams on the ssd and documents/cache/mail on the hdd. As long as you have the exe of the programs you use a lot on the ssd then you're onto a winner and Anything that gets changed frequently in the prog. For example outlook express mail which gets hammered with database access and deletion new mail etc on the hdd.

Basically the skeleton of the program within means.

Dead space on ssd. But save files on hdd. Etc. :)

I like the ssds too as another reason to tinker.
Thanks for that info , will come usefull when get mine going.
Reagding your keyboard, have you got USB one.....i had same problem before and had to change a setting so it would work when enter F8 boot options

Soldato
st160atto.jpg

Here's my work HD, it's alright with smaller files but gets mullered after 4.

Associate
[timko];13663894 said:
Well Splattered I think you need to turn on write-back cache to bring up your read scores as well as read and write for the lower transfer values (0.5 to 16). Look at Lejimster's post below on how to do it in Vista...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=13613338&postcount=4

You need to look for the name you gave the raid setup in the BIOS. Lejim has left it at the default of VolumeX so unless you changed it (like I did) then you should look for that in Device manager as well :)

Thanks Timco, not tried the info yet as doing a fresh install with my new sys. I will be installing this evening so hopefully tweaking and scores tonight.

From a WD1200JB boot drive to the SSD array. Should be slightly nippier!

Soldato
Found a local fairly well known retailer in components here in Manchester that is charging

£389.31

for the 64Gb Samsung SSD, oh how I laughed!

lol - normally they are cheap there - I live down the road from them. However returns dept are stupid there - when I had problems with my seagate 7200.11 they insisted it was all my problem - they sell thousens of these drives Im the only one thats returned any.... they refused to even look at seagate website concerning the problem saying " if seagate have not contacted us theres no problems with the drive"

Soldato
I'd like to see more people with single drives post their ATTO benches if possible

I've removed the drives from the Raid setup and have them reinstalled as single disks. As expected, the higher end transfer sizes are almost exactly half the read/write rates I was getting before in Raid-0...

tko264sgl.gif

Permabanned
[timko];13668127 said:
I've removed the drives from the Raid setup and have them reinstalled as single disks. As expected, the higher end transfer sizes are almost exactly half the read/write rates I was getting before in Raid-0...

Cool, the same as I get on my 2nd partition - shame my first partition seems to have degraded in write speed though.

I guess I'm hoping someone else has the same experience after using their drive for a while, so I know it isn't just me.

Soldato
I wish they sold these in 32GB drives for half the price. Then I would definitely get 2 and RAID-0 them. I just can't justify a 128GB (64gb x2) SSD just for the OS.

Soldato
Dirtydog

As before in my Raid-0 setup, these drives are still blank when I benched them. If you've got content on either of your partitions then that will affect the result. If you're not using it as your OS drive for now then blank it, make it one large partition and bench again. You should then get the same numbers I'm getting above.

On the OCZ forums Tony (OCZ employee if you didn't already know) has previously noted that performance does suffer on SSD drives in general as they get near their capacity.

Permabanned
I am using it for the OS, but both partitions are now equally full (about half full) of data. The second partition is still performing as it did when empty.

I may blank it though and see if it perks up.

Associate
Thinking of using two of these in raid, partitioned into two, with Vista 64 on one and OSX86 on the other.

Anything i should be wary of with dual booting them?

I already do this on a single 320gb Seagate with no issues, but htis will be the first time with raid on a dual boot.

Soldato
ok..well I've made a separate place for the temp files but whenever I extract a program and wants to use it it says 'access denied contact admin.' even though I right click it for admin priviledges...it only works if I put temp locale back to windows default... what am I doing wrong? :(:(

Back
Top Bottom