Samsung 64GB 2.5" SATA-II MLC Solid State Hard Drive

well, i've just got my second Samsung SSD installed into my rig today. I did'nt even have to format it which is curious but up to now it's running sweet. My primary drive has XP installed onto it and i have not had one problem with it up to now. Now all i have to do is drop on a USB floppy disk drive so that i can raid them together and it will all be sweet :) i'm still deliberating over wether or not to get a 3rd SSD and an sata to esata cable for the samsung F1?

I had a similar problem when i installed my SSD's. My hardware could not detect them. What SATA port are you connecting it to?

I have it connected to my first SATA onboard slot. I'm using a Gigabyte P31-DS3. I had no problems with it running XP before, but now i can't even put the image of my old OS back on it :s

I have it connected to my first SATA onboard slot. I'm using a Gigabyte P31-DS3. I had no problems with it running XP before, but now i can't even put the image of my old OS back on it :s

Not sure why it's not working. Mine worked after disconnecting my DVD Drive and my other HDD's then stuck my SSD's in SATA ports 1 and 2. Rebooted and it detected them. Maybe you need to update your bios?

Also is your SSD being detected in the bios?

[IMAGE]
Here's mine, 2 x Samsung 64gb in raid 0 with 128k stripe, it's a new vista install so no extra drive alignment. I used SSD Tweaker then moved the pagefile to a separate physical HD and turned on write back caching.

Nice,
Just ordered two Samsungs as a result of this, was playing with an idea of a Vertex, but the read/write perfomance is similar in RAIDO with the Samsungs and about half the price!

the one thing that put me off with the vertex was that a single 30GB drive (which is just about enough for the OS and standard apps) is around what, £120ish? If the vertex drives were £120 for 60GB i could have lived with that but the price/gigabyte ratio is just a little too iffy to me.

I will have a look at some benchys a bit later tonight. But do you think Using a single Sammy SSD for the VIsta OS drive would beat a single Velociraptor?

I will have a look at some benchys a bit later tonight. But do you think Using a single Sammy SSD for the VIsta OS drive would beat a single Velociraptor?

It's a good question, I would be interested in knowing too, I would hazard a guess that for day to day operations, such as loading applications, boot up and web browsing it would be a bit nippier, for data transfers possibly around the same as the velociraptor.

It's a good question, I would be interested in knowing too, I would hazard a guess that for day to day operations, such as loading applications, boot up and web browsing it would be a bit nippier, for data transfers possibly around the same as the velociraptor.

No chance, I've got 4 x 64GB Samsungs and I can tell you now real world performance is nothing to shout about in single drive configuration. The only thing it has over normal modern drives is it's seek time. Good for booting windows but not loading games\applications particularly. Average read speed of a single drive is around 90mb\s which isn't mind blowing. Fast, yes. But no faster than a mainstream drive and not faster than a velociraptor etc.

2 x Samsung 64Gb in raid 0 with 32Kb srtipe, is something wrong with it?

zwzy1w.png

I haven't done the alignment as my OS is on the drive, I ghosted it on from my old raid array.

Put it at a 128k stripe ;) (the recommended stripe on intel controllers that you have got)

Should get rid of those "zig zaps".

No chance, I've got 4 x 64GB Samsungs and I can tell you now real world performance is nothing to shout about in single drive configuration. The only thing it has over normal modern drives is it's seek time. Good for booting windows but not loading games\applications particularly. Average read speed of a single drive is around 90mb\s which isn't mind blowing. Fast, yes. But no faster than a mainstream drive and not faster than a velociraptor etc.

isn't it useful for replacing a old 5400 RPM laptop's harddrive though? i've been contemplating the idea as my drive only does about 58MB for both read and write roughly.

isn't it useful for replacing a old 5400 RPM laptop's harddrive though? i've been contemplating the idea as my drive only does about 58MB for both read and write roughly.

Definately a good replacment for a laptop hard drive. A fantastic replacement I would say from the performance compared to other 2.5 inch drives....lol gotta say for a desktop the 1 benefit is the silcence! Its......Deafening, spooky almost lol.

edit - I didn't realise this was for a laptop sorry :) I suppose the veliciraptor is top end and you pay the premium, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea putting a veliciraptor in a laptop due to heat, or if it's possible to remove the heatsink even.

Last edited:
you can't use velociraptors in laptop's can you bcause of their size? theyre a few mm wider than ssd's if i remember right, also i think it is possible to remove their heatsink as that is the only part that makes them 3.5, otherwise they are a 2.5" drive but as far as i am aware even removing the heatsink does'nt make them suitable for use in lappys. Although i must admit that i am certainly considering putting an SSD in my lappy downstairs, just a bog standard SSD drive would tear the Sata drive that i have in my toshiba satellite appart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom