Samsung A70 6.7" 4500 no curved screen ~£400

Caporegime
I dropped my p20 pro.. totally destroyed :(

I'm going to Barcelona tomorrow for 9 nights.

Had a look at the A70 at john Lewis yesterday. Very impressive phone. I took some photos there and looks 'okay' for indoor pictures.

New p20 pro at JL is £499 now.

Is £130 extra worth to get the P20 pro over the A70?

The A70 camera isn't great, colours are nice but details is destroyed by really heavy noise reduction.

Soldato
One is a massive phone at 6.7", the other is a hand-sized 6.1". If you're going to live with the phone for a while after you get back from Barcelona, do you prefer one size over the other?

The screen is obviously bigger but physically the phones arent all that different in size. They are closer than say, the p20 pro and an s10e. A70 is 9mm wider than the p20 pro but only 3mm taller for example :)

P20 pro has a better camera overall, A70 is a bit hit and miss. With decent light it can pull of some impressive shots and using gcam, which isnt fully supported yet, can produce some decent night shots too. The camera on the A70 needs work though, no denying that.

Last edited:
Soldato
The screen is obviously bigger but physically the phones arent all that different in size. They are closer than say, the p20 pro and an s10e. A70 is 9mm wider than the p20 pro but only 3mm taller for example :)

It's subjective of course and down to what's acceptable for each person :) Phonearena have a handy size comparison page, and here is the P20 Pro overlaid on the A70

Soldato
Samsung have messed me around re my A70 order :mad: I tried to order one on Monday but it was out of stock. It came back into stock on Tuesday so I ordered one then & expected delivery yesterday but I'd heard nothing since. I've now just been told by their Customer Services that my order has been cancelled as it is out of stock!? Apparently they will give me a "goodwill gesture" re the cashback offer though if I order it again...

Soldato
Spent further 30 mins trying out the A70 today lunchtime at John Lewis

Got the P20 pro at the end.

Poor camera, bad finger scanner and lack of the led notification put me off big time. Don't think it's good price to be honest.

Soldato
It's subjective of course and down to what's acceptable for each person :) Phonearena have a handy size comparison page, and here is the P20 Pro overlaid on the A70

I don't deny the A70 is bigger but in the hand it isnt a massive difference. Absolutely it is subjective, yes - I'm just giving my own experience and it's quite easy for me to do that as I own an A70 and the Mrs has the P20 pro :)

Soldato
Spent further 30 mins trying out the A70 today lunchtime at John Lewis

Got the P20 pro at the end.

Poor camera, bad finger scanner and lack of the led notification put me off big time. Don't think it's good price to be honest.

The notification led on the p20 pro is soo small it might as well not have one :p

You made the right choice though, if the camera is important.

Soldato
The notification led on the p20 pro is soo small it might as well not have one :p

You made the right choice though, if the camera is important.

lol i had the original p20 pro since last September so i got used to with the small led notification. i can see the led 5 metres away

Soldato
Don't think it's good price to be honest.

Maybe at RRP but if you make use of the trade in and cashback deal nothing else comes close.

The RRP is high for Europe though compared to Asia / India but that's partly down to phone prices going crazy in general.

Soldato
has anyone received the cash back yet from Samsung
I've just submitted my claim so we'll see what happens, bearing in mind I had to reorder it after the promotion finished.

On the whole though, I am enjoying the A70 and it does definitely feel like an upgrade vs my old P2. The camera is certainly better, the phone does generally feel snappier and it's gone a ton more bells and whistles, though I'm not really sure what half of them do! I would say that it feels a bit lighter than the P2 also but I think that's just because the casing isn't made of metal. I'm not finding the size difference much of an issue either but then I do have reasonably big hands.

Caporegime
I've had no issues with Three and my Phone direct from Samsung. Everything works including VOLTE/WIFI calling. I take it you got your handset from Three direct James and they've messed around with it?

Back
Top Bottom