Samsung Galaxy i5700 'Portal'

Caporegime
Cool have signed :)

altho not sure they will bother once their new phones come out :(

Yeah, I don't think they will either tbh :(, no matter how many people sign the petition (unless it's a lot :p).

It will be an absolute joke though if they abandon this mobile by not upgrading it to 2.2 considering this mobile is only a few months old, plus it is a very popular android mobile considering the price of it.

All mobile companies should keep there devices up to date for at least 1 year considering all contracts now are 12 months, 18 months or 24 months like mine at the minute.

If they don't update the spica to 2.2 I won't be buying a samsung mobile again, will get an HTC mobile instead, they are actually good to there customers for updates unlike samsung.

Soldato
The reason the earphones don't work with other stuff is because, if you look at the connector there's 3 connection points, the extra one being for the microphone, so when you plug it in to a normal stereo device it's connecting one channel to the mic and one to mono.

Soldato
The jack on the earphones seems massive.

I'm just looking for some good apps now :)
Not figured out how to take a screenshot without downloading the Android SDK :( but took a pic of the homescreen

home_26-05-10.jpg

Soldato
If you've rooted it then there's a bunch of apps on the market to take screenshots.

Also can you link us the info on flashing the EU firmware and rooting? Really want to getit done this weekend.

Soldato
If you've rooted it then there's a bunch of apps on the market to take screenshots.

Also can you link us the info on flashing the EU firmware and rooting? Really want to getit done this weekend.
I got all the info from the LKmod forums

Seems to be the only place with i5700 related stuff in regards to firmwares etc. You need to signup to their partner site to download the firmware & tools.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quote from samdroid forum:

"The admin at samsung-firmwares have made a post about this subject.

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/apps/blog/show/3854673-android-2-2-on-the-spica-

As they seem to have the ear of Samsung dev people, if you have comments, it's probably worth not only signing the petition (which won't make anything happen directly, but will show support for this among what is a fairly small community!) but posting in your comments there.

It's been noted that the Samsung devs do keep tabs on places like Samsung-firmwares and here, but that blog post is likely to get noticed more than a thread, in a forum, in a subforum, etc."

So post a comment there as well as signing the online petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/sgalax22/petition.html) if you want 2.2 (froyo) on the I5700.

Soldato
Bah :( just had to get t-mobile to send me a new SIM as I'm unable to send/receive any SMS's

Just says 'unable to find recipient' when trying to send to my i5700 :(
also just doesn't send out at all, comes up with failure message and nothing else (everything else is working ok)

Phoned T-Mobile who talked me thru checking the SMSC settings which are all fine and they said it's the SIM and are sending a new one so unable to use my new toy until I get the new SIM on friday :(

Soldato
woo :) got new sim and now all working

The sim looks different to the original one they sent with the phone tho :confused:
Original one has small rectangular contacts and the new one has larger rounder contacts (like my old orange one).
Not sure what's different but it works at least :D

Caporegime
Skyfall you see your desktop stand for your spica, this one here:
563817497.JPG

What is it called please :D. And also, can the stand hold the mobile in portrait mode as well and is it sturdy enough so when you push the buttons it won't fall or anything like that at all?

Had a look at the desktop genie or whatever it is called at mobile fun but don't really fancy spending that much on a stand tbh lol.

Also could anyone else recommend me some desktop stands for the I5700 for less than £10 please, obviously the less expensive the better :D

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a Nokia DT-29, it's an ok little stand but it won't hold the phone in portrait, not sturdy enough to press buttons, touchscreen is fine(ish) and the other thing is that unless you use the little keyring loop to effectively tie the stand apart the phone leans back very far.

Not bad for £2 like and works fine to basically hold the phone like as clock for me.

Gogo stands look pretty good too: http://www.gogostand.com/

Soldato
Mine seems to all be working ok now I have a SIM which works in the phone :)

I put the nexus one launcher, live wallpapers & gallery3d on today :D
The launcher seems much better than the samsung one.

Caporegime
Its a Nokia DT-29, it's an ok little stand but it won't hold the phone in portrait, not sturdy enough to press buttons, touchscreen is fine(ish) and the other thing is that unless you use the little keyring loop to effectively tie the stand apart the phone leans back very far.

Not bad for £2 like and works fine to basically hold the phone like as clock for me.

Gogo stands look pretty good too: http://www.gogostand.com/

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it looks really neat, just unfortunate that it's not very sturdy for the buttons and plus being able to hold the mobile in portrait mode.

Yeah the gogo stand does look really neat and good as well but can't see it being being sturdy enough either in order to push the buttons or slide to different home screens etc.

Just looking for a sturdy stand which holds the mobile in portrait mode (be nice to have the option of landscape but not really too important) and is very sturdy for less than £10.

Caporegime
I wish they'd add a forum for this on XDA...

Yeah I know it ****es me off :mad:, so many people on that forum have spicas and have requested for a forum specifically for the I5700 and they still haven't got one, tbh I don't think there going to bother making one cause they would have done it by now.

What really annoys me is that they have added forums for mobiles which aren't even released yet like the samsung I9000s or whatever it is called, and other mobiles which have not been requested as much as the I5700 :mad:.

You have probably read some of my posts about there not being any I5700 forum yet :p

Back
Top Bottom