Samsung Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC

Associate
OP
Does anyone use their monitor in Multi-View mode? I use my laptop with two outputs in Multi-View mode to replicate dual screens (need this for work software), but I find it clunky. The worse part is that I keep having to toggle constantly between multi-view and the Samsung home screen until the quality of the display improves. When it's set up, it's fine and text quality is great but it's always poor initially.

Does anyone else have this issue and is there a fix for it?

Are you on the latest firmware? also are you connecting with hdmi 1 and mini hdmi or hdmi and display port, are all your cables certified cables? also something I wasn't aware of is that apparently the cables they give you are so short as that's the ideal length to avoid signal degradation, but I ended up getting longer ones anyway to fit my set up situation, just something to bring up in case your cables are really long or not certified.

Associate
OP
How I've managed to get it to work properly with the correct resolution is using the supplied HDMI to mini-HDMI cable for the first connection from my Laptop to the monitor. The second one is Laptop > Dock via USB-C and then DisplayPort to the monitor. initially when I was playing around, I couldn't connect both cables to my dock and then dock to laptop, multi-view wouldn't work properly. At the same time, the laptop does not have enough ports so I can't have two connections straight from the laptop to the screen. So currently, it's mini-HDMI from laptop straight to monitor and then Display from laptop to dock to monitor.

The last HDMI port is connected to my PC.

I need to check the firmware version. It's just weird that I sometimes have to set up the multi-view a few times before it works properly without any picture degradation. And more annoyingly, I've saved the multi-view set up but sometimes it switches the displays around...

Ah sounds like standard software issues with the G9 then to be honest. I've had similar issues with profile states or settings changing, or not being accessible depending on how I'm connected to the monitor (even now I can't change my picture settings)

I'm running a multi monitor set up with the G9 and sometimes run into signal issues as well here and there (mostly since latest firmware update in my case) if they'd sort out a lot of the minor issues (that become big ones) this monitor would be much more user friendly.

Probably something worth asking on reddit as well, or searching on google for see if anyone has found a solution to your problem. I stopped attempting to run a similar set up once I knew it was limited to 120hz.

Associate
OP
Hey guys, need a new Monitor what GPU is recommended for this super wide beast ?

Thinking about ordering one obviously going to need a new GPU that means a new motherboard bundle the rig in my signature is long in tooth to say the least, would I even get a picture from the GTX 970 till I have sorted that out need to do basic word / email stuff in the meantime and have the standards changed in the last 12 years its saying mini hdmi 2.1 in the specs don't think my card has that.

Thanks.
Honestly depends what games you want to play and if you want to play them at max resolution and at 32:9

I reckon a 4080 super would be enough for most games if you want to save money there,

but if you want to play your CP2077, Alan Wake 2 etc with max detail then yeah 4090 is the only choice especially to utilise the monitor at 120-240hz consistently across as many games as possible.

Associate
OP
Hi bro,

Did you do anything more for DLDSR. I have G93 version, I have set 16/9 on the screen size menu in monitor, but I can't see DLDSR option.
It would pop up automatically for me in Nvidia control panel options, I'm using HDMI 2.1 Certified cables.. but not sure if that makes any difference, as I don't own your monitor I can't say for sure what the reason could be.

Updated firmware on your monitor? and drivers etc for the gpu?

also maybe the GPU you have changes the options available.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately, When I select 16/9 on monitor and set resolution 1920x1080 on the desktop, I get signal resolotuion as 1920x1080 but somehow it use still DSC. In order to use DSC, I have to disable DSC. What firmware are you using.
I'll have to check when I'm home, I'll probably forget, but I've let my monitor auto update firmware since I've had it.

Associate
OP
I just got this monitor last week, to replace a faulty AW3423DWF, as they're the same panel (well, bit longer :D) - It's very nice but with odd quirks like why only 1 DP port? And a micro-HDMI.. very odd. And somewhat aggressive ABL...

I have the G93C variant, and I was looking to get the calibration profile - assuming it will work on this version? I presume it will as it's the same panel? I'd PM, but I don't see the option on here - I assume that's a user level thing? If it could be sent to kaltern at gmail .com (that's where all my lovely spam goes :D ) I'd appreciate it :)
I think it needs a different profile, but I'll send it over anyway.

Associate
OP
For anyone who needs continued support with the G9, I can still send the ICC profile via e-mail to anyone that needs it, but I've now sold the monitor :) so can't really help with any niggles except what I posted on the 1st post.

I'll be waiting for an 8K OLED variant to be released in the future either by Samsung or a competitor, I was very happy with the monitor but with the release of 4K 240hz panels I'll wait for a DP 2.1 model to drop and will be switching to that as soon as possible. For now back to a basic 144hz 1080p VA Panel :cry: a serious downgrade from OLED.

Associate
OP
You do know you're going to get this constantly on and off for the next 5yrs+ don't you @Personality+ ? Everyone who does a Google search for ICC profile for this monitor lol :D :p
:cry:
As long as I use OCUK and I get the alert notification I'll help out, thank God for e-mail forwarding.

I've seen the monitor drop down to less than £900 on ebay if it's not in mint condition, so I expect this monitor to get really popular when refreshes/upgrades happen in this UW size range.

Shame we didn't hear back from anyone using the S93C to confirm whether the ICC profile for the S95C works for them as well.

Associate
OP
Hi folk, currently using the G8 oled and was wondering what hdmi certified 2.1 cable is recommended and guaranteed compatible with the newer g9 49",Ive got a 4090 so hopefully in the next few weeks I might splash out on the G9

Any as long as they are indeed certified, make sure you get one long enough to reach from the left hand side of the G9 to wherever your desktop is placed :)

Associate
OP
Hi all I know this is a Samsung thread but in relation to Gen2 panels is the Philips 49m2c8900 a gen2 panel??

Philips have announced today their new 49M2C8900 display, a massive 49″ super ultrawide screen with a 5120x 1440 resolution and a 240Hz Refresh rate. It's a competing model to Samsung's Odyssey OLED G95SC which we reviewed recently, based on the same Samsung QD-OLED panel from tftcentral,

seen it comes with 3 years burn in warranty as well

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi all. Thanks to everybody who has shared their experiences and opinions!
I'm just about to purchase this (potentially). About £1200 with a free UHD monitor to keep the wife happy!

Main concern is that I have a 2080TI which only has HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4. Will that be too restrictive for this monitor (and I assume that it won't be powerful enough to drive it well)?

Thanks guys.
Yeah you'll be limited by your hdmi 2.0 situation I believe. You should probably look into upgrading the GPU 1st, before the monitor unless you don't mind using the ultrawide at a lower refresh rate (60hz) for the time being and possibly without HDR as well.

If you're dead set on an ultrawide probably better off getting a 3440x1440 ultrawide at 34 inches and using the rest towards a better GPU as well, for a nice balance, unless you can afford to upgrade both...

Back
Top Bottom